handheld transcom recommendations

Bob_Belville

Handheld?

The latest handhelds can Back-up...

• Communications
  • VOR
  • ILS
  • GPS (a new skill since I looked at these years ago...)

I probably read the Sporty's catalog to marvel all the choices that are available...

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/catalogsearch/result/?q=Handheld

• Yaesu
  • Icom 
  • Sporty's

Price points seem to stay the same, but the skills they come with seem to increase....

Remember to tell Nancy, you have been Good!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I have a Yaesu FT-550 with the headset adapter.   It seems like a nice unit and sits in my flight bag like a champ.   I've used it as a receiver a few times but have never had to transmit on it so can't comment on that part of it.   Seems like a rockin' unit otherwise.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/yaesu-fta-550aa-airband-transceiver.html

Just a thought, but I had my avionics guy put a plug-in port for the handheld that connects to the airframe's comm antenna. It will increase the useful range for the handheld radio significantly. The only time I had to use it I was able to just plug it in and turn it on as I already had the cable connected to the handheld radio. Ray

• Like 4

I have the FT-550L   It was worth it to me to have a lithium battery I could rely on.  I leave it in the plane clipped to the back pocket and I remove for charge top off occasionally.  I have used it to get ATIS and listening to stuff going on while I'm on the ground.   I transmitted one time from 1500' AGL 2 miles from the airfield just as a test and they said they could hear me fine.   I think you would want a spliter to connect it to your ship's antenna if you would want any better range.  I'm sure you can listen at a much greater distance than you could transmit.  It only has 5watts transmit power.

The thing I don't like about it is that it is rather bulky.   If I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for a smaller/slimmer version.  I would give up the NAV capability in order to get a smaller and thinner form.  If I had to do it again, I probably would have gone with the ICOM IC-R6.  It's smaller and you can listen to TV and radio AM/FM.  

The reality is that if I found myself in a situation of lost nav/com, I would probably think to just navigate using my battery powered Aera 510 and ipad.  I would then probably think to just call the tower with my cell phone.  If you're too high for the cell phone to work, then I would guess that you probably can't use the handheld either.   Might be able to listen... and that's why I keep it in the plane.   I've got all the phone numbers for control towers already programmed in my phone along my usual flight routes.  I'm pretty sure the phone numbers are also published as part of garmin and EFB updates.

4 hours ago, rainman said:

Just a thought, but I had my avionics guy put a plug-in port for the handheld that connects to the airframe's comm antenna. It will increase the useful range for the handheld radio significantly. 

I did the same.

• Like 1

I've used my older handheld during 3 unrelated com failures over over the past 20 years.  One involved an instrument letdown into KDAL. My experience refutes Browncbr1's assumption that "if you're too high for the cell phone to work, then I would guess that you probably can't use the handheld either".  In my case, using a splitter connected to one of my external com antennae, the handheld transmit performance seemed to be as reliable as my KX155.

In addition to the antennae splitter, I carry a headset adapter.  I also don't use an alkaline battery pack, but a AA cell battery pack since I always carry a quantity of batteries for headsets and flashlights and consider an alkaline battery less reliable unless you are sure you have the discipline to ALWAYS have an excellent charge.

• Like 3

Minor threadjack, but..  has anyone ever actually used a handheld transceiver to fly (even a simulated) localizer approach?

I've carried a handheld for years, and used it once in a complete electrical failure at night about 10 miles from the airport. I was happy to have the handheld, but I've never even bothered to attempt an approach with one. 

Given that this is safety gear, I really should be competent with its use. But I'm not (at least where the localizer/gs function is concerned).

1 hour ago, toto said:

Minor threadjack, but..  has anyone ever actually used a handheld transceiver to fly (even a simulated) localizer approach?

I've carried a handheld for years, and used it once in a complete electrical failure at night about 10 miles from the airport. I was happy to have the handheld, but I've never even bothered to attempt an approach with one. 

Given that this is safety gear, I really should be competent with its use. But I'm not (at least where the localizer/gs function is concerned).

Yep, I did a few practice ILS's a couple yrs ago, it didn't pick up the localizer until 10 miles out or so but it did the trick.

I am sold on the Sporty's 400.  I used mine to shoot practice ILSs all the time in my C-152.  I also occasionally used it in lieu of my crappy old radio, too.  Approach complained my radio was weak, but that was from 15 or so miles out, with no headset adapter.

• Like 1

I have Sporty’s 400.  I have used it only on the ground.  I have messed with loading an ILS but have not flown an approach on it.  The price is great, AA batteries are cheap.  The requirement for a special headset adapter at an extra cost is a bummer, but worth it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neilpilot said:

I've used my older handheld during 3 unrelated com failures over over the past 20 years.  One involved an instrument letdown into KDAL. My experience refutes Browncbr1's assumption that "if you're too high for the cell phone to work, then I would guess that you probably can't use the handheld either".  In my case, using a splitter connected to one of my external com antennae, the handheld transmit performance seemed to be as reliable as my KX155.

In addition to the antennae splitter, I carry a headset adapter.  I also don't use an alkaline battery pack, but a AA cell battery pack since I always carry a quantity of batteries for headsets and flashlights and consider an alkaline battery less reliable unless you are sure you have the discipline to ALWAYS have an excellent charge.

Good to know you had good performance with your external antenna hooked up to it.   I should have clarified that I meant performance might not be all that usable if using in the standard configuration with the whip antenna.   As others mentioned above, 10-15miles out. 

I’ve used my Vertex (Yaesu) for tracking a localizer signal and as Dan mentioned, the range is the limiting feature. Tracked fine.

As a side note, these receiver’s lithium battery packs are available through alternate sources than the pilot shops and for considerably less money. I bought 2 of them for the same price the pilot shop wanted for one. I thought they may have been cheap knockoffs but they have the manufacturer label on them and it matches the original one send with the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another thumbs up for the Sporty's SP-400.  I've had it for years and got as a Christmas present too.  I even tried to kill it by forgetting about the batteries and they leaked after a while, but still works fine.  Now that I think of it, I'll add that to my dry erase board in the hangar of recurring things to update and check every year.