Hello all,

any Avionic Techs out there?

A question on what will fit where in a Mooney panel. I have a 1980 K model. Just to the right of the structure tube that hold the compass, I have as follows from top down:

An avionics tech at a big shop told me what I want to do is not possible because of "structure in the way". I have pulled the units and checked for clearance. I see moving it up will not be easy, but the clearance is there. Besides that compass structure I cannot find any that would block the cnx. It is about 3" max longer than the MX 20, but there is still room. Would be a bear of a job which is why, I figure, the less than over joyous response from the tech. 

KMA 24     std size audio panel on top.

MX 20

CNX 80/ GNS 430

SL 30                                     bottom

I want to swap the positions of the MX 20 with the 430. The 20 is real easy to read, while the 430 is a bear. It involves leaning forward and fixating on the panel all the wile programming it in a pinch? No thanks. 

Does anyone have their Garmin 430's or cnx 80's mounted up high, 2nd down from the top of your panel on a K model?

Hard to follow what your asking for the final panel arrangement. Are you saying you have both a CNX 80 (also later known as GNS480) and a GNS430 below the CNX 80 and you want to move the GNS 430 above the MX20 and keep the CNX 80 below the MX 20?

I started with a MX20 and CNX80 years ago, then went with a MX20 and dual GNS430Ws and the MX20 became a GMX200, but I always kept the GPS's below the MFD which was always preferable and I've seen many installations done that way with MFD at top directly blow an audio panel. Never with GPS above the MX20. To fit the Audio panel,  GMX200, and dual GNS430W in the center stack, I did have to move the annunciator and autopilot to the right but with the 1980 K you wont have AP controls in the center stack but below on the console. Now its a GTN750 & 650 (w/ integrated GMA340) with the autopilot back in the center stack at bottom.

Are you allowing room for connectors and cables in the rear as well?

Edited by kortopates

Negative, I have one cnx 80 below the annunciator and the 20. Like to put cnx 80 above the 20. Question is ...Have you ever seen a cnx 80 or 430 just below the annunciator?

Since you have never seen the cnx or 430 above the mx 20, do you believe you trouble seeing the mx20?

Tks. 

The center tube splits like an inverted Y...  leaving only room for short boxes in the top locations...

In the older Mooneys there are series of strange staggering methods, including angled down in the back...

You May want to study the box dimensions first. Compare what you have there already....

I get the feeling a lot of audio panels are really short for a reason... they get the top spot a lot.

Best regards,

-a-

The mx20 and 750 are sloped at the back which provides extra clearance.  The newer panels have a spacer below the annunciator because of the lack of depth. 

My opinion is the menu buttons of the mx20 are great to access when just cruising at altitude but when things get busy you will probably just use the knobs and controls on the 430/80.  This should leave both displays easy to read as you set the instruments. What is currently blocking your view? 

Negative, I have one cnx 80 below the annunciator and the 20. Like to put cnx 80 above the 20. Question is ...Have you ever seen a cnx 80 or 430 just below the annunciator?

Since you have never seen the cnx or 430 above the mx 20, do you believe you trouble seeing the mx20?

Tks. 

Never seen the MX20 not above the GPS. I personally much prefer it that way and flew like that with a pair of GNS430W’s below the MX20 which became a GMX200. You might be a rare breed to reverse it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!  

I appreciate the replies. I plan on asking some shops. It would make more sense to me to have the cnx80 up higher as that is the box I would be working with most of the time. It sounds like that is contrary to what everyone is saying. I fly with the seat all the way forward. The angle is awkward and requires me to get a closer look. If it was up higher, I'd have no problem. 

the idea of locating the mx20 or the cnx 80 to the right might work- good idea. 

Along those lines, to what units do most pilots upgrade from the MX20/GNS480 (CNX80) combo? 

Thanks

The new GTN750 does in one box everything that your old combo did. You also can consider the Avidyne as well.

Finally understand why you are having the issue. If your seat is full forward you really need the 3" rudder pedal extensions. That will get you further back so you can see the panel better. I'd do that first before making any panel changes since that should fix the main issue you're having now. These can be ordered through your favorite MSC and are not expensive.

You really don't want anything in the far right that you are trying to read - it's too far away to be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1