Charlotte NC Advice

Ftlausa

I am only 50 nm away from CLT but have not flown in in years. @DrBill has though and he can advise. (He's based at 8A6 Wilgrove Air Park which is a short, narrow field -2835' x 40' - but very convenient to downtown.) Rock Hill, Monroe, Lincolnton, Gastonia are further out.

https://www.aopa.org/airports/8A6

CLT is probably no better and no worse than others. CLT is friendly enough to publish its slow times. They will tend to route light GA  to 18L/36R within an easy taxi of Wilson Air Center, a pretty friendly albeit typically expensive FBO. If it were a trip where cost was less of a factor and access to downtown important, I wouldn't have any hesitation flying in there again.

I've flown into CLT several times and Wilson Air is great.  AvGas prices are reasonable for a major airport, and the staff is friendly. I did a day-trip there once and they didn't even charge me for ramp facilities.  Getting into Charlotte the controllers are about what you would expect...they won't cotton to inexperience very well, but if you keep your speed up and talk professionally they will be fine.

Be prepared for potentially extensive wait times for takeoff.  One October I taxied out and then waited 20 minutes for my takeoff clearance...all the while the oil temp was climbing up into a concern-zone.  But as soon as we got airflow over the engine that came back down and it was a non-issue.

I have gone to CLT a few times since it is typical stop over point for us on the way from New England to Florida.  Wilson Air is quite good with its prompt fuel service and hangar availability. They also had different kinds of motor oil available last time we were there. Overnight prices are a little higher than Monroe Executive but worth it if easier access to town is desired.

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

A few years ago I flew into KEQY Monroe.  It was easy and if you are getting a car anyway it is not that far of a drive and the fuel savings will cover some of the rental car.

+1 for KEQY. less traffic, nice FBO. All the needed approaches and Fee structure favorable to GA.

12 hours ago, Ftlausa said:

I have to go to Charlotte NC next week for business, and was wondering if CLT is GA friendly, or if I should go to one of the other area airports.  I will be in downtown Charlotte for the meetings.  Recommendations appreciated. 

I am based at 8a6 we are c 5 mi from downtown.

CLT has a GA terminal, WILSON AIR i think. They charge a fee to use the terminal (call for specifics). Last time I flew in, was for a museum event and I parked at the air museum (home of us 1449, the Miracle on the Hudson).  so no charge. Flew IFR for the 10 mi trip!

other good ones are Monroe (KEQY) free, and Concord (JQF) they charge for terminal use too. They are further away but may have rental cars.

Bill

I loved flying to Charlotte, comercially...

Get out of the plane, walk down the stairs, rental cars are right out the front door... no herding bus rides or long lines....

Its been a few years, and my memory isn't that good...

But, I don't think it compares to Atlanta or Newark....  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I've flown into Concord, NC (KJQF) a couple of times recently with very good service from the FBO. I called in advance to arrange my hangar stay and rental car. They had my plane out and fueled at the arranged time on my departure day with no problems. Ray