252 Aircleaner in 231

Emmet

I also run warmer on 5-3-1 cylinders, and suspect it's due to the induction air intake which blocks some airflow relative to the open inlet in front of 6-4-2 on the pilots side. Presently working with GAMI to narrow the spread, as the egt on #1  is warmer too by about 80 degrees. How hot does your #1 and right side run? Cowl flaps closed or trail? Time since top or major? Are your egt's in line?

On 11.12.2017 at 2:23 AM, milotron said:

Do you have a cooling issue on the right side? The trophy mod also adds the large, infinitely adjustable single cowl flap opening for cooling which would help a lot too I would think.

iain

No, not really. Just from comparing the available area of both inlets I thought it might be beneficial as nearly half of the right side is covered. A look in the parts catalog made me think about it as it doesnˋt  look very complicated  -  and it is just a evolution of the samy type certificate ...

Airflow is probably not as  bad as it looks. The change was for intake icing, or so I have read.

The 252 needs air for the intercooler also.

The cooling flow is largely driven by differential air pressure across the upper and lower cowls and less so by available surface area of the opening. Look at the openings on the new Mooneys or Cirrusesses; small and circular but likely very carefully designed convergent nozzle/flow arrangements inside and out.

Not a fluid dynamicist...

iain

• Like 1