Economic ANR solution

Tx_Aggie

I’ve flown with a the UflyMike adapter to my bose QC15 headset the last two years and they’ve been great. Recently they’ve started to work very poorly - the ANR feature goes on and off during throttle changes. It’s weird. UFM reps tell me it’s bose’ issue, it works just fine without the mike adapter so I’m not sure what to do. Is there a lesser expensive, quality option to the Bose a20 that anyone actually likes? I can’t justify forming over $1100 for a headset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I flew for years with a DC H10-13S headset that I updated with a Headsets, Inc kit. In many ways, I think it was the best combination of comfort, durability, and noise reduction of any headset I've owned. 

Total cost at the time was about $300 for the headset and about $100 for the kit. I'm sure it's more expensive now, but I'd guess you could still get into it for $500 or so. 

I paid just under 800 for a new a20bt set a few months ago. Just watch the eBay auctions and try to combine the 10 percent coupons with the end/bin date. CFI’s get a discount and freebies are given away during the large air shows so people stock up on a few at a time. 

Has anyone tried Faro headsets?  As a side note, I have an old pair of DCs with Headsets Inc ANR conversion, and they work great when I don’t leave the switch on and drain the battery.  My older Bose X are good, except for a resonating on takeoff roll, when I can’t even hear the radio.  I have found that to be a problem in certain airframes.  That said, even those are old technology.  I need an upgrade too.  

1 minute ago, takair said:

Has anyone tried Faro headsets?  As a side note, I have an old pair of DCs with Headsets Inc ANR conversion, and they work great when I don’t leave the switch on and drain the battery.  My older Bose X are good, except for a resonating on takeoff roll, when I can’t even hear the radio.  I have found that to be a problem in certain airframes.  That said, even those are old technology.  I need an upgrade too.  

Headsets, Inc. sells an electrical connector that can be hardwired into the plane's power, to avoid the battery problem. I only use their battery pack when I flying with someone else in their plane.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Headsets, Inc. sells an electrical connector that can be hardwired into the plane's power, to avoid the battery problem. I only use their battery pack when I flying with someone else in their plane.

Just went to their website and I see they have really modernized.  I must be on 20 year old gen 1 equipment...still going strong.  I see they have an auto off battery box as well.  It really does a great job.  As far as ANR, it works better than the X in my plane, but the X is more comfortable for long trips.

Considering the title of the thread, the most economic solution is to install a Headsets Inc. kit into your existing headset like many others have recommended. I have three headsets done and it works great. This is similar advice to upgrading to the SkyBeacon for “ the most economical ADS-B out upgrade”.

+1 for QT Halo's $300, and if you don't like the foam ear buds, I got custom made ear molds from an audiologist for about $80. I've got an $1100 set of Zulu2's that ride around in the back seat for passengers. They're just not nearly as quiet or comfortable as the Halo's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, takair said:

I have a Faro G2 ANR that I used for quite a while.   Even though it is on the low end of the ANR cost spectrum, it's a very good headset IMHO.   I did upgrade to a Lightspeed Zulu3 which I do like better, but it's not enormously better than the Faro.   The Lightspeed is a bit easier on batteries and just has some nicer features, but it's also significantly more expensive than the Faro.  For a low-cost, decent ANR headset I found the Faro is actually quite nice.   I keep the Faro in the airplane in case I forget the Lightspeed, which is *supposed* to be in my flight bag, and for passengers.

The coax power plug for the Headsets Inc. is easy to install (by your A&P) and give power from the plane. I did the dual cable when doing the conversion. I want to checkout the Halo’s. I wear soft foamy’s at work for several hours a day and they don’t bother me.

Make offer on eBay is my best friend sometimes. I think I got a 3-week old set of Lightzpeed Zulu 3s for about $650.  Well worth it considering my last set are 10-years old and still kicking as a pax headset. Halos if you can find em are the most economical.  Protect your ears.