KMYF Smoke and other info?

So far we've had no restrictions to visibility due to the fires. However, we have a couple fires to the North and to the south and east but if you come over JLI to enter SOCAL you should have a clear ride. Winds have settled down now but forecasted to be breezy through the weekend. the main issue has been a large wind gradient between the relatively calm surface wind and much stronger winds at 2-3K' causing widespread wind shear. This should all be gone by Monday. Its a busy airport and is a bit chaotic when we're using opposite direction runways as we have been for the Santa Ana winds. Enjoy your trip in.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

Not a local guy, but I grew up there.  IMO you should definitely use flight following or IFR there simply because it helps getting through the Miramar airspace which is just north of MYF.

I flew down this summer on a weekday, it was not particularly busy.  Of course, I had just flown out of Santa Monica throught he LAX airspace, so my brain might have simply been going in overdrive still...

I should point out the news stories about the fires are suggesting Santa Ana conditions over the weekend.  As opposed to the normally pleasant conditions, that means winds from the east that are gusty, hot and dry.  By gusty, I mean 25-50 mph gusts, so check your weather briefing carefully.

Edited by jaylw314

I was flying back from Portland about two years ago and left Portland with about 3 1/2 hours of fuel. My planned fuel stop about 2 1/2 hours down the road was forecast to be severe clear. when I got there the airport was below IFR minimums from smoke. So was everything near by. I could head west for 50 miles over the Sierra's or keep going for 100 miles in the same direction. A bit of pucker factor that day. I think I put on 57 gallons. A bit closer then I like to play it.

Perhaps the most scenic and spectacular tour around here is the 500' Class B transition around Linbergh on the coast called the Bay Tour. Its not documented anywhere officially but it begins just a couple miles north of Crystal Pier (on the sectional) where you call up SAN Tower (Lindbergh) and ask for the coastal transition at 500. Once they clear you into the Bravo, they will hand you off to North Island tower pretty quickly (so have your radios setup beforehand). When you contact North Island, just tell them you would like to do the bay tour. They will usually have you check in when rounding Point Loma, then you just fly dead center at 800' over the bay. A little before the bridge, they will ask your intentions (if you want to keep going south to Brown, turn around in south bay, etc). That's is very quick summary. There are some videos of this on youtube covering more of the details. Here is an example by one our own Mooneyspace mooney's @StinkBug 

If the Bay Tour sounds a bit too complicated for what you want I would recommend the VFR corridor over Lindbergh and then over the Bay along downtown. But this higher at 3500' southbound and 4500' northbound but is well documented on the San Diego TAC and doesn't require all the radio work, instead it uses special freq of 126.050 to talk to other corridor traffic. You could takeoff from MYF, climb to 3500 and go south and either make a 180 down south and come back north the same way at 4500' or you could drop to stay above 3000' but below 3500' and  transition over Brown Field (above their Delta) and then up along the east side of San Miguel (below the Bravo ceiling of 3500'). Call MYF Tower abeam San Miguel for landing and then make a left for landing when exiting the Class B at the Cotton Woods gold course and aim right of Mt Helix back to MYF. That will make a loop out of the tour.

Lastly the easiest of all low level coastline tours would be from Mt Soledad (VPSMS) up the coast line at 1500' below the bravo 1800' ceiling up to Del Mar or as far as you would like to go. But watch out for CRQ's delta along the coastline that goes to 2800' if you don't talk to them. But you can also get flight following for this off MYF with SOCAL on 119.6 (ask for it before departure with MYF ground to make it easiest for you).

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2