FAA Altitude chamber

Yetti

Always wanted to do this.  They brought it to Sugarland, so had to give it a try.     Did not really have any of the listed symptoms.   The biggest thing was loss of time.   Got asked a question that I did not remember being asked.  at 4 minutes.  Got it right and wrote it down, did not remember till the debrief.

One guy was out at 2 minutes.   the other 3 he kept us till 6 minutes.   we were at 28K feet.  

Not that they have time but would have been really good if they could have slowly taken us there so we could be more like what would happen.

I went to 67% almost immediately.   67% the second minute.  then 69%  for the rest of the time.

could only partially pay attention to the instructor.   Did not loose color on the color wheel.

The only other feeling was feeling "thick"

Wiped out and had to take a nap.   Flying on airliners will pretty much do this to me.  Fly in and meet the same day is a struggle.

• Like 1

Sunday Maybe.  Got an email

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education

You have asked us to notify you when a seminar is scheduled that meets your criteria. The following seminar may be of interest to you:

"FAA Hypoxia Training in the PROTE December 7 thru 10"
Topic: Experience your personal hypoxia symptoms in the FAA’s Portable Reduced Oxygen Training Enclosure (PROTE).
On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 09:00 Central Standard Time
Western Airways Located at Sugar Land Regional Airport
100 Jim Davidson Dr.

Sugar Land, TX 77498

Select Number:
SW0079613

Description:

The PROTE (Portable Oxygen Training Enclosure) is a traveling altitude "chamber" which is capable of producing hypoxic environments at ground level by altering the fraction of ambient oxygen. This avoids some of the risks associated with pressurized altitude chamber training. 

How to sign up-
Hypoxia training will be available at the Sugar Land Regional Airport from Dec 7 thru 10th.  For a “flight time” reservation please send an email request to houstonfaasteam@gmail.com . Please include the following information: name, e-mail address, contact phone number, request for day and whether you prefer an AM or PM slot.  Due to the number of pilots expected to participate we will do our best to grant your requested time. 

Requirements- 
1.You must be at least 18 years old.
2. Have a minimum 3rd class medical or Basic Med (if you are using Basic Med bring your most current physician checklist)
3. No signing up a "group" , each e-mail request should be for one individual. 

To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.

The sponsor for this seminar is: FAASTeam

The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the 'Contact Information' area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.

The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:

Basic Knowledge 3 - 1 Credit

Click here to view the WINGS help page
  • Thanks 1

I was signed up for a ride in the altitude chamber out at Gateway Airport about a year ago. This is a real altitude chamber note the PROTE chamber. The ride was postponed because not enough people signed up. We got a tour of the thing and I got to look at all the facilities and controls for the chamber. I canceled my ride and had them refund my money. I think the thing is a death trap, literally. Once the vacuum pumps start it is impossible for the people inside to get out. There is no E-Stop for the pump inside the chamber. there are no safety features of any kind on the chamber. the altitude is controlled by one outflow valve at the operators station. The guy operating the thing is very old and could keel over at any time. If he did everybody in the chamber would die. The chamber has the capability to go to 93000 feet. above 60000 feet you will die a horrible death from your blood boiling.

Ii did a little research and there have been quite a few injuries caused by routine altitude training in these chambers. The FAA doesn't require it for anything anymore because of this.

With the PROTE enclosure if everything goes to hell you can just open the door and get to fresh air.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was signed up for a ride in the altitude chamber out at Gateway Airport about a year ago. This is a real altitude chamber note the PROTE chamber. The ride was postponed because not enough people signed up. We got a tour of the thing and I got to look at all the facilities and controls for the chamber. I canceled my ride and had them refund my money. I think the thing is a death trap, literally. Once the vacuum pumps start it is impossible for the people inside to get out. There is no E-Stop for the pump inside the chamber. there are no safety features of any kind on the chamber. the altitude is controlled by one outflow valve at the operators station. The guy operating the thing is very old and could keel over at any time. If he did everybody in the chamber would die. The chamber has the capability to go to 93000 feet. above 60000 feet you will die a horrible death from your blood boiling.

Ii did a little research and there have been quite a few injuries caused by routine altitude training in these chambers. The FAA doesn't require it for anything anymore because of this.

With the PROTE enclosure if everything goes to hell you can just open the door and get to fresh air.

I wouldn't be so worried. I rode in the same chamber at Gateway, its run by ASU if I recall right. There were no less than 3 people in the control area managing the controls and observe the participants as well as one or 2 people in the chamber ready to take care of anyone that needs to get their O2 back on but became incapacitated. Worst case, I assumed from inside or outside they could simply open a vent line but I wasn't briefed on emergency procedures like you may have been. But most importantly, at any time while in the chamber you have a supply of 100% O2 to put back on or that one of the internal observers would do for you,  which is how the simulated decompression test is ended by each participant. Anyway, I sort of recall they opened a vent line before they could open the door as well - but it was awhile ago. 

I thought they did a great job and it was well worth it. Although it showed me the TUC numbers are pretty meaningless since all but one participant went well past the charted time and was able to put their O2 mask back on just fine without loosing consciousness. Also it was probably the oldest participant there that lasted the longest contradicting the other wildly touted assumption that since those TUC numbers are based on young military personnel that older people are going to pass out earlier whereas the mountaineering community has well documented that middle aged climbers can handle the altitude much better than the youngsters. Perhaps the key point for doing it is that every ones symptoms and tolerance varies enough that its very worthwhile  for  each us to see how we individually do and  how well we can recognize the symptoms. 

Edited by kortopates

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

I think the best plan would be to take your plane up to its certified service ceiling, with a safety pilot, and take your oxygen mask off and see how things go.

Some Many of our planes don't have "certified service ceilings" . . . . .