A really stand up guy

201er

Last year I sent my PlaneCover.com plane cover in to have the snap connectors repaired/replaced. But through some misunderstanding, they restitched the cover, which it didn't need and did not change the straps. Now while my plane is down for annual again, I sent the cover in again with my $25 check for another refurb service but stating that it's the snaps that I need done and not the stitching. I get the cover back within a week including all shipping with new snaps and my check returned. Jim took care of their mix up and didn't charge.

Another truly stand up guy is Phil from Quiet Technologies who makes the Halo headset. I've needed repairs on Halos every now and then for various issues. I can't remember how many years it has been since I've bought them but Phil has done the repairs and never charged. So here are two companies that charge a dime up front but then stand behind their product and provide true American service.

On the flip side, both are quiet difficult to get a hold of and difficult to talk to. Also it's hard to get products from both because they always seem busy or out of stock. I guess that's what happens when a small company does such a great job, they spread themselves thin. But they always stand behind their products so thank you.

Any other aviation related companies you'd like to add to the list?

• Like 4

I wish I could wear Halos.  I have abnormally small ear canals, even small for someone my diminutive size.  Those things just don't work for me.  I had a really good experience with the plane cover guys years ago when I had an airplane outdoors.  Haven't needed them since.  I have a cover for my Mooney but never use it since the Mooney is hangared.

Have you tried the hangar elf ear inserts?  

Phil has a number of different sizes, materials and price points for the halos...

He supplies a packet of various bits to try.

Everyone has a different preference.  Phil just knows ears pretty well...:)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, steingar said:

I wish I could wear Halos.  I have abnormally small ear canals, even small for someone my diminutive size.  Those things just don't work for me.  I had a really good experience with the plane cover guys years ago when I had an airplane outdoors.  Haven't needed them since.  I have a cover for my Mooney but never use it since the Mooney is hangared.

After wearing Halo's for about four years, I decided it was time for an upgrade. I went by my local audiologist and had some custom ear molds made. They attach directly to the audio tubes on the Halo's, block more sound than any headset I've ever tried, and once the molds are in, they can't hardly be felt. The best $80 addition to an already great product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steingar said:

I wish I could wear Halos.  I have abnormally small ear canals, even small for someone my diminutive size.  Those things just don't work for me.

My wife had the same problem so I made her some new ear buds using "women's" pink ear plugs and she's really happy now.

How does one order a pair of QT Halo sets?  I have been to their website several times and they are always sold out.  Is there a backorder program?

On another note, I just received my order from UFlyMike after waiting like two months.  I had a pair of the Bose QC 25 headphones and decided to give them a try for my (little) passengers in the back seat.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

How does one order a pair of QT Halo sets?  I have been to their website several times and they are always sold out.  Is there a backorder program?

I think you can be put on a wait list, and when he has more, Phil will email you.

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

After wearing Halo's for about four years, I decided it was time for an upgrade. I went by my local audiologist and had some custom ear molds made. They attach directly to the audio tubes on the Halo's, block more sound than any headset I've ever tried, and once the molds are in, they can't hardly be felt. The best $80 addition to an already great product.

Paul- I'm considering doing this.  Do you know what brand ear molds you got?

I think the first time I met you was a few years back at Phil's booth at Oshkosh.

18 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Paul- I'm considering doing this.  Do you know what brand ear molds you got?

I think the first time I met you was a few years back at Phil's booth at Oshkosh.

There isn't any brand. I just went into an audiologist and asked for some molds to be made. The fill your ear with some sort of rubber that hardens after a few minutes. Then they pull them out and sent them off to have some molds made. It took about two weeks then they called me back in to test them out. I'll get some pictures next time I'm at the plane.  On Bucko's recommendation, I use a little surgi-lube on them every time I use them. It further helps to seal out the sound. They truly are silent and without any pressure in the ears.

• Like 1

I’d like to recommend SCS interiors. After I managed to cut a hole in the wrong carpet piece, they short circuited their normal manufacturing cycle do make a replacement so I would get it in 48 hours. 

Yves

On 2017-12-08 at 8:22 AM, 201er said:

Last year I sent my PlaneCover.com plane cover in to have the snap connectors repaired/replaced. But through some misunderstanding, they restitched the cover, which it didn't need and did not change the straps. Now while my plane is down for annual again, I sent the cover in again with my $25 check for another refurb service but stating that it's the snaps that I need done and not the stitching. I get the cover back within a week including all shipping with new snaps and my check returned. Jim took care of their mix up and didn't charge.

Another truly stand up guy is Phil from Quiet Technologies who makes the Halo headset. I've needed repairs on Halos every now and then for various issues. I can't remember how many years it has been since I've bought them but Phil has done the repairs and never charged. So here are two companies that charge a dime up front but then stand behind their product and provide true American service.

On the flip side, both are quiet difficult to get a hold of and difficult to talk to. Also it's hard to get products from both because they always seem busy or out of stock. I guess that's what happens when a small company does such a great job, they spread themselves thin. But they always stand behind their products so thank you.

Any other aviation related companies you'd like to add to the list?

+ 1 for Phil on supporting the Halos.

36 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I tried to call QT to see if I could be put on the waitlist for a headset a few months ago. Phil said he was so busy he was not even taking names for a waitlist.

That is a huge down side. Similar problem with Plane Cover. But, they do take real good care of their customers once you've made it to the point of being a paid member.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Yes, I called the Plane Cover guy several months ago and he said he was taking the winter off.  "Take my money!"  At least business is good, I will get the Halos and PlaneCover soon enough.

You will enjoy both!