Had to cancel my Georgia flight because of snow!

rbridges

Never had this happen to me personally. Living in Georgia, snow is a rarity. Since getting my IR, I rarely have to cancel, but you can't modify the laws of physics. Low ceilings, rain/snow mix on my way to Dalton. I guess another day would be a better decision. I started reading the other icing thread and it reinforced what I already thought. 

• Sad 1

All I'm getting here in Lower Alabama is intermittent sleet mixed in with the rain. It's a good day to stay inside with a warm beverage . . .

But Rob, it's perfectly feasible to fly over and even through snow. Did it several times in WV. Light, dry snow isn't a problem, but that's unlikely to happen today. It also helps to not have icing forecast . . .

Edited by Hank

We were planning on a trip to Asheville, NC tomorrow, but we currently have 4+ inches of snow on the back porch with more forecast overnight. Tomorrow MAY be clearer here by afternoon, but KAVL is forecast to have snow through noon. Oh well, staycations are not bad.

Everyone freaked out in Richmond, VA as usual.  Run on grocery stores yesterday left most of the shelves bare.  I never understand why they do that - like some apocalyptic event is about to happen.  Roads are clear this morning since it wasn't cold enough to stick....the yard on the other hand.... :rolleyes:

Brian

IMG_0137.JPG

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Got a new leaf blower last night.  Expect snow to begin in NJ this afternoon...

-a-

My son's flight from Orlando to Atlanta to Knoxville got delayed hours before being cancelled. We had him take an Uber to catch a flight leaving Tampa to Newark to knoxville. I was worried about snow in Newark but they seem to be managing.  He's still taxiing on the final leg but at least he's on the plane. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

New leaf blower works as a snow blower too...  helpful around the hangar...

Living in WV, I found the old electric leaf blower would move about an inch of dry snow in the driveway and off the car. It did pretty much nothing for wet snow.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2017 at 7:07 AM, carusoam said:

Preferred ground transportation will be front or 4-wheel drive.  Tires will be marked M+S For mud and snow...

NJ only gets a few days like this in a year...

-a-

And they wonder why 90% of the vehicles on the road in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan are SUV's or 4x4 pick-up trucks.  Just a normal day up here between November and April

Tom

• Like 1

Just now, Yooper Rocketman said:

And they wonder why 90% of the vehicles on the road in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan are SUV's or 4x4 pick-up trucks.  Just a normal day up here between November and April

Tom

I remember going to Colorado, and half the cars in the parking lot were Subarus.  I'd normally see 2 in a year where I live in Georgia.

• Like 1

Temps are just now starting to warm up enough to melt the snow on-land.  Runways and taxiways are all okay, but it still looks strangely white on the ground here in north Georgia. I expect that to finally disappear this week. This was at and around Pickens County (KJZP).  It's fun to fly low altitude on cold days...sure makes that TAS impressive!

JZP Air 1.jpg

JZP Air 2.jpg

JZP Ground.jpg

• Like 1