Fuel tank calibration and dip stick production

MV Aviation

12 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Are the wing mounted gauges certified for use to fulfill Tomato Flames requirement?

Check your POH.  Mine contains this note:

"An optional visual fuel quantity gauge may be installed on top of each tank and is to be use as a reference for refueling the tanks only."

14 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Who do I send the check to? $50 sounds cheap.

I was talking from memory. I got one from Air Parts in Varo Beach FL several years ago, for about $50.

When you don't have anything to do for an hour or two, I can tell you about my adventure; finding Rochester sold them for about $5, but not being able to buy them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MV Aviation said:

28 replies and not a single one in regard to the actual question/request. Well done, gentlemen!

Welcome to Mooneyspace.  We call it thread drift, I’m not sure of the German translation.

Clarence

9 hours ago, MV Aviation said:

28 replies and not a single one in regard to the actual question/request. Well done, gentlemen!

humm...it seems it was answered properly by Paul K a few posts up. Why would anyone want to sell a product based on unsubstantiated data obtained from an internet request by a friend? While your request for information wasn't fulfilled , you have been given very valuable feedback as to the demand for such a marked up paint stick. Thread drift maybe, but perhaps you should have posted this in the vendor forum since these will be sold vs. donated. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

humm...it seems it was answered properly by Paul K a few posts up. Why would anyone want to sell a product based on unsubstantiated data obtained from an internet request by a friend? While your request for information wasn't fulfilled , you have been given very valuable feedback as to the demand for such a marked up paint stick. Thread drift maybe, but perhaps you should have posted this in the vendor forum since these will be sold vs. donated. 

The request was to contribute measurement data in order to compare it to my data and maybe to include more models. I don't see any. You?
The info about the dipstick is only to provide you context. I know about the fact that every tank is a little different, as probably many here do. Therefore, it would be interesting to compare measurements of multiple aircraft, in order to estimate a mean error. And, I wasn't asking for opinions on the matter, nor am I trying to convince anyone to buy the sticks. As I stated in the original post, it's neither my business, nor is there any benefit for me. I'm just trying to gather data and help out a friend. 

• Like 1

Follow up question should be is this data point for 54 gal bladders or standard tanks.... there are many variations among mooney models over the years.  

@MV AviationIt’s a nice concept but your friend needs to do more due diligence than collecting some third party data and then selling laser etched sticks online.  All things sold in aviation involve some risk of liability - at least in the US.  Fuel miscalculation continues to be a top reason for GA accidents.  I’d be very careful about underestimating how critical a paint stick can be in aviation... wrong year, model, tank size or tank material composition  are important considerations. 

If he wants to do this the correct methodology would be to do a ton of research about the OEM mooney tanks, find a number of examples of that particular tank, drain a tank and fill, taking a number of measurements along the way.  Of recruit some volunteers with a standard calculation methodology.  Confirm accuracy and precision of measurements by more than one example of each “category” of tank.   Then he can say that he has some validity to the product he’s offering - limited to model, year, SN and bladder vs wet wing, standard vs long range, etc.  If all that leg work were done I’d be happy to purchase his dipsticks.  If pilots know the calibration data were from a couple of random internet people with unknown methodology I’d consider them suspect.