Griggs (O&N) bladder system 10 gallon add on installation

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:
  • I checked the paperwork this morning, the add on 10 gallon cells adds 7.3 pounds to the empty weight.
    • The original 54 gallon bladders added 29.7 so the total difference is 37 pounds. 
  • I seldom would have any need for the extra fuselage.
  • Particularly since it weighs something and add something to drag.
    • (I drive a Crossfire. 2 seats. 1 more than I need most of the time.
    • And I have a Dakota which I drive less than 2000 miles a year.) 

A vehicle should fit the mission.

Helps that you fly small people around. :lol:

Ill bet if you ask any of those ladies you fly around Bob, they would all tell you the extra 10" in the rear is wonderful :) My point earlier was to validate Allan's point about the longer legs of the stock F vs. a Stock "super" 21 would give it a speed advantage when you dont have to stop because of fuel. I summize this is why you are installing the 10 Gal add on, so you dont have to stop on one of your missions, thus picking up speed in your super.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:07 PM, mike_elliott said:

Ill bet if you ask any of those ladies you fly around Bob, they would all tell you the extra 10" in the rear is wonderful :) My point earlier was to validate Allan's point about the longer legs of the stock F vs. a Stock "super" 21 would give it a speed advantage when you dont have to stop because of fuel. I summize this is why you are installing the 10 Gal add on, so you dont have to stop on one of your missions, thus picking up speed in your super.

I understand your point. :P But... it's only 5" difference in rear seat leg room. The only concession that I'm prepared to make is that if an owner/pilot is over 6' tall and plans to transport 4 adults she probably would be able to tell the difference between a C and a J.

I'm adding the 10 gallons exactly because I subscribe to the principle that you cannot have too much fuel on board... all right, unless you're on fire. My very last trip was 5.6 hours and 46.1 gallons. Landing with only 7 gallons on board violated my personal minimums. And, even though I did it intentionally in CAVU conditions because I was going to drain the tanks for the bladder install, it still was not pleasant. And I had to run at 8.0 gph to keep from making a fuel stop.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

My very last trip was 5.6 hours and 46.1 gallons. Landing with only 7 gallons on board violated my personal minimums.

Jeez-lou-eez! That 5.6 hours violates my bladder's personal minimum, and I am not talking fuel :lol:.

On 12/9/2017 at 6:20 PM, Marauder said:

Don’t forget if you tanker up, you’ll be carrying 60 pounds plus the weight of the new bags. Might nip a little off of your speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I noticed that too once I installed the additional bags. My speed suffered a bit.

We got the bladders in and the holes punched in the old cells for the connector hardware. We should get to finish up the cells installation today. The EDM is scheduled to be back from JPI Monday and we can install the CiES sender and calibrate them. Back in the air next week...

IMG_20171214_130752328_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20171214_130802334[1].jpg

The EDM came back from JPI today. I reinstalled it and checked out the updates, if you have a 930 you might be interested in the screen pics of revs etc.

Meanwhile Lynn continues to finish up the bladder install. We expect to finish tomorrow and add fuel and calibrate the new CiES.  

I also picked up my front seats. While the plane was down my local trim shop replaced the 3" foam on the seat portion with 5" of much firmer foam. Dave was able to stretch the leather to fit! I'm kicking myself for not doing this 5 years ago when we did the seats the first time. 

IMG_20171218_155903175[1].jpg

IMG_20171218_155911683[1].jpg

IMG_20171218_155644214_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20171218_155639138_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20171218_155621333_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20171218_155616788[1].jpg

IMG_20171218_155543912[1].jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

and the CEIS senders were ? :) (It pays to join the Mooney Summit Presidents club!) Congrats again, kind Bob, Thanks CEIS!

Free! Thanks Scott Philiben @fuellevel and MooneySummit. (well, free except that JPI nicked me $350 to convert the EDM 930 to interface to the digital CiES which included a new harness.)

A little to my surprise I was able to fill the new bladders with 64 usable (plus 2.5 unusable) fuel, Calibration of the new CiES level sensors with the updated EDM 930 went quickly with no issues. We've got to put the interior back together and hope to test fly tomorrow!

IMG_20171221_165444407[1].jpg

• Like 4

It's a wrap, Romeo Whiskey is back in my hangar. I still need to reinstall the interior side panels and the seats and we're ready to go. With a one hour plus reserve we'll have a range of 900 nm LOP or 800 nm ROP!

The EDM display was updated and there's a new bar graph for remaining fuel while the fuel quantity shares a bar. Interestingly, the CiES detected 1 gallon burn even though there's only a single float per side in the lowest of 4 bladder cells. Magic. 

IMG_20171222_144803436_HDR[1].jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

It's a wrap, Romeo Whiskey is back in my hangar. I still need to reinstall the interior side panels and the seats and we're ready to go. With a one hour plus reserve we'll have a range of 900 nm LOP or 800 nm ROP!

The EDM display was updated and there's a new bar graph for remaining fuel while the fuel quantity shares a bar. Interestingly, the CiES detected 1 gallon burn even though there's only a single float per side in the lowest of 4 bladder cells. Magic. 

IMG_20171222_144803436_HDR[1].jpg

All you need now is that extra 10" and the extra GW increase....Looks good Bob!!

• Like 1