Cheapest/easiest ADS-B option for old-style steam gage M20R (2000)

THill182

9 minutes ago, PTK said:

I don’t have the antenna. So I’d pay 9k.

Minus all of the discounts and rebates that they have going. But apples to apples, the Lynx without active traffic (but upgradable later) is about $1000 more than the GTX345. The fact that later you can upgrade it to active traffic gives you an option that the GTX345 doesn't.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:05 AM, Marauder said:

Weather... show me the 345 doing this.

With cut and paste anything is possible.

Seriously, I regret not spending the extra and getting the Lynx. With it you get a display right now and you have options down the road. You don't have those options with the 345.

• Like 3

Put in a certified garmin transponder - interface it to your ipad app - foreflight or garmin pilot.  

That will give you traffic - verbal as well.  do yourself a favor and buy the 12 inch ipad pro.  

That's what about 5k all in for the transponder + install, vs 13k for the lynx - just a guess on those prices.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Now you gone off and did it. Garmin will now introduce a box with a display!

20 minutes ago, Marauder said:

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.de13dcf55a75e6d6dac74851d21990d3.JPG

Stormscope output:

IMG_0507.thumb.JPG.50f743b9da813edd53a895cf7c208d9e.JPG

METARs, TFRs...

IMG_0465.thumb.JPG.4ff87824685b409c08fd4af1cadd8246.JPG

The 345 and the 345r port weather and traffic to the GTN, Aera, and iPad.  It also has aural traffic alerting. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rpcc said:

Put in a certified garmin transponder - interface it to your ipad app - foreflight or garmin pilot.  

That will give you traffic - verbal as well.  do yourself a favor and buy the 12 inch ipad pro.  

That's what about 5k all in for the transponder + install, vs 13k for the lynx - just a guess on those prices.  

There will be some regional price differences and the usual avionics shop price variations but a non-GPS GTX-345 in my area will run you $6,500 installed. This includes the antenna and interfacing with the avionics (like a GTN or Aspen or G500). A GTX-345 with the internal GPS will cost you $7,500. An L-3 9000 with an internal GPS, non-TAS unit will cost you $6,800. A L-3 9000+ with TAS, the GPS antenna, the non-diversity antenna will cost you $9,900. These are all installed price. 

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.de13dcf55a75e6d6dac74851d21990d3.JPG

Stormscope output:

fc04f36ab28bdd804657bb2f1c4847de.jpg

METARs, TFRs...

0518d04d14453015a016ff1dc7fcee78.jpg

The lynx display is too small to be useful. I prefer the 345R with wx and traffic with targettrend on my GTN750 or a 660.

• Like 1

The lynx display is too small to be useful. I prefer the 345R with wx and traffic with targettrend on a GTN750 or a 660.

Then port it over. Both the L-3 and the 345 will display on other boxes.

14e62b83f433559a0a650095200f25f8.jpg

Or perhaps you prefer bigger?

6cf9c591357c0e7fec1be11a306ea83d.jpg

What I love about these new technologies is that you have the ability to display stuff everywhere. And there is redundancy. For my normal flying, traffic and weather are on the PFD’s HSI and the MFD. I have the GTN on the default Nav page and the left side of the L-3 on the transponder page and then I use the right side to pull up METARs, zoom in for traffic, etc.

If the weather has some T-Storms in the area, I will have the WX-500 showing on the MFD at the normal range and the L-3 set further out to see the bigger picture.

This new stuff really rounds out the comprehensive picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Then port it over. Both the L-3 and the 345 will display on other boxes.

14e62b83f433559a0a650095200f25f8.jpg

Or perhaps you prefer bigger?

6cf9c591357c0e7fec1be11a306ea83d.jpg

What I love about these new technologies is that you have the ability to display stuff everywhere. And there is redundancy. For my normal flying, traffic and weather are on the PFD’s HSI and the MFD. I have the GTN on the default Nav page and the left side of the L-3 on the transponder page and then I use the right side to pull up METARs, zoom in for traffic, etc.

If the weather has some T-Storms in the area, I will have the WX-500 showing on the MFD at the normal range and the L-3 set further out to see the bigger picture.

This new stuff really rounds out the comprehensive picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Garmin and L3 transponder pictures are nice but I really like the six different types of switch covers.  Where can I get a set like that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mooniac15u said:

The Garmin and L3 transponder pictures are nice but I really like the six different types of switch covers.  Where can I get a set like that?

Let's see. Red Master was factory original. Radio Master cover was compliments of an avionics shop who broke the cover that said:

WIN_20180111_11_03_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.d6bd21d700ff8a6b4f46a1ae1c547961.jpg

Nav one is a 3D printer version from one of those sites we posted here.

Beacon one is factory original

Strobe one I think was compliments of peevee

Pitot heat is a factory original. 

Now you know why I have been on the pursuit of the Holy Grail of Mooneys -- the proverbial Klixon switch cover.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I have not found this system to work very well. I have adsb out and a stratus 2.  We have about 15 sr20’s at my home controlled airport with radar. They do not show up as primary or adsb targets even when I have 2-3 towers in range.  They do show up via TIS from my 330es when high enough to get the signal. 

I have a GDL-39 with external antenna and I have a UAT ADS-B out.  Since equipping with ADS-B Out, I have been receiving loads of traffic on my display, but I fly near/under a Class B airspace.

@MIm20c- it sounds like you're not receiving all the traffic.  Most "Out" transmitters need you to configure them so that they tell the ground stations how you receive traffic- in your case, UAT "In" for your Stratus.  A lot of installers don't really understand this difference yet, and will just set up the Extended Squitter transponder as only 1090ES.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, PTK said:

And you say that’s “all” it does?! That’s a huge advantage! It’s unprecedented and a colossal safety tool!

I’m not saying the Lynx is bad, just different and not at that level yet. Maybe they will offer something similar in the future. 

As others have said, if the plane is that close I will be looking out the window for it. 

As for "huge" and "colossal" ......... not so much. You want to drink the kool aide go ahead. 

What safety has been enhanced in being able to point out and identify all the other airplanes flying near you that are no factor to your or their flight ?