DME Arcs in New England or NY/NJ/PA area

Dutifully leaned to fly DME Arcs during IFR training; every now and again I improvise one for general proficiency purposes, but have actually never flown one from a published approach.

Do any of you know an airport/approach in my general neck of the woods that has a DME arc on one of its procedures? 

Robert

55 minutes ago, Danb said:

At kmtn Martin State north of BWI. VOR DME 15, really neat approach 

One of the best in the country IMO. In addition to being a CFII, I teach an advanced IFR class at the local College and I use this approach in our Sim labs because it so good. The final is on the Arc and the missed approach is on another Arc. I haven't seen anything else like it. 

I should add that of course flying these  with modern GPS's makes these very simple; especially with auto-slewing course information that you have with the G1000 or any electronic or digital HSI that supports auto-slewing. (This  one is unique in that the final course is on the Arc, but you can still use GPS on final by also enabling a LOC bearing pointer on the VOR to keep you legal by monitoring the raw VOR signal.)

Also these days we have a similar GPS Arc, called radius fix legs, which are the GPS equivalent of VOR arc, but based on a GPS waypoint. The GTN navigators with an electronic HSI can fly these. But I don't know if the WAAS G1000 in the Mooney does? An example by me is the KCRQ GPS X 24.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

Looks like they are becoming as popular as ADF approaches...

I found one other VOR approach requiring DME... But, it wasn't an arc.

Looks like the Arc approach was designed to allow navigating around a large obstruction.  Here in the flat east coast, the Arcs at McGuire are probably for training purposes... Single VOR, no intersections....

This might be helpful if each ATC center might have one or a set...?

In real life, two VORs defining intersections really rocks!  (For avoiding easy mistakes that can kill you)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

33 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Looks like they are becoming as popular as ADF approaches...

Largely true here in the US. But they are still very common in other country's and in a totally different league from ADF approaches. Flying a DME arc is a necessary skill for any IFR student; unlike navigating by a NDB. its part of the IPC as well. And we all know we don't need a charted approach with a DME Arc to fly one. All we need is a VOR to fly an arc and we don't even need that with a GPS. And as mentioned above, the Arc concept has been re-invented with GPS radius fix legs; although they don't require the Arc skill set to fly them since the GPS keeps updating the DTK for you to fly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Wow, head out this way to Oregon.  I can think of at least 4 approaches within a half hour of me that have DME arcs (KAST, KMMV, KONP, KCVO).

In eastern OR, KMFR has those all beat with 3 DME arc approaches and 1 RF leg approach, but the latter isn't one we can fly.

Paul the loc BC atMRY and VOR approach looks wild 6* slope..

Which is why it only has circling minimums and such a high mins. So the near 6 deg slope is only true for descent from the FAF to the threshold. Descending to circling mins requires only 3.something degrees.
The max permitted glide slope for a straight in is 3.75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk