Overhauled TKS pumps

Jeffo

24 minutes ago, Jeffo said:

Does anyone have a source to overhaul a 12 volt windshield TKS pump?

Planning on contacting CAV ice protection, but hoping someone might know of a more affordable solution.

CAV’s overhaul price is actually pretty reasonable.

There is power to the pump but it does nothing.  About 10 years ago, Keyson Airways out of Nashua NH (now name changed) pulled and overhauled the pump.  The sent it out, but it was back pretty quick.  I'm looking for the paperwork, but it was done on the pre-buy, and may be missing.  Is CAV's turn around time here in the US fairly quick?   I seem to always get burned by not asking on a forum like this, then later finding out I overpaid. Thanks for the help.

I replaced several TKS pumps with new ones over a twenty year span.   I learned about CAV from this mailing list.   So the last time I lost a pump I replaced it with a new one then sent the burnt out one to CAV for rebuild.   It took about three weeks and I now have one for a spare .

Dan is correct...this happened to me, and banging on it with a rubber mallet gently seemed to restore functionality for a short period, but then it went south again.  CAV Aerospace, as stated, is your best and most reasonably-priced option, after doing the research.  Honestly, buying a new pump for between $550-$700 from them is your best option.  A rebuilt pump will only save you ~$100, and the turnaround time is 6-10 weeks.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a note, and not putting any ideas in your head, but a friend who used to own a Bravo with TKS told me that the pumps were the same ones used in soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt machines.  Minus the FAA certification and paperwork, of course.  His business was selling those machines to restaurants.

7 hours ago, Greg_D said:

Just as a note, and not putting any ideas in your head, but a friend who used to own a Bravo with TKS told me that the pumps were the same ones used in soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt machines.  Minus the FAA certification and paperwork, of course.  His business was selling those machines to restaurants.

I have heard the same thing from other sources - these things should be costing $60....