Off field landing at KSGH

Steelstring

I know its slightly controversial but you could increase the turning radius by pushing down on the tail (raising the nose) and rotating the plane around the point between the mains. Alternatively given a good enough surface you could probably rest the noise on a furniture dolly. 

-Robert

We are looking at the dolly idea, both at car dollies or building our own. Sheets of aluminum have been floated but it is going to be freezing or below freezing this weekend, so I doubt that it will get to that point.

The concern is not putting too much side load on the gear during the process.

This is a technique used by engineers and machine riggers.  They move machinery on the production floor with only inches to spare.

It is pretty easy to get a scaled drawing.  The POH has some...
Few people can do this using a computer.  But anyone can cut and paste to model the result.  

This technique is lovingly called using paper dolls...

Best regards,
-a-

I came home to some paper airplanes and scale drawings last night. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

When the paper planes get dressed in mock fancy paint jobs... there is something else in the plan...

Some sand bags evenly distributed on the tale surfaces might be helpful... done at annual with other planes...

Some goofy ideas from a PP, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, autopatch said:

I cut out the same drawing out of my POH too. How does your Saturday look?

I am available on Saturday. Just let me know what time.

I found that the drawing in my POH was not to scale. The printed numbers were correct but on the actual drawing the length was too short relative to the wingspan. I used some scissors and a photocopier to adjust the length. 

I just happen to make a paper Mooney today to see if I can do some rearranging and pair down to one hanger. 

I drew a 23.5' gate.  You may be able to "Austin Powers" it though without the use of dollies. It will be close. 

I wish I was closer, it would be fun to help out. 

Good Luck!

Dan

• Like 1

Perhaps this has already been discussed or thought about.......

The area surrounding the airport looks quite rural. Would it be possible to just tow the plane to the airport using back roads and then utilize a larger gate elseware?

59 minutes ago, autopatch said:

Just met with the City. They want a member of their staff to be there. No-go on Saturday. Stay tuned folks.

Thanks for the ideas and the support.

no budget for overtime :) ? Make sure you get a parade permit :) and a building permit if you remove any fencing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw a video where a bunch of people lifted a Mooney that had it's gear go up on  a grass strip. If you had a big enough crew you be able to do that. Of course you'd have to be very careful about what they grabbed onto.

I remember that video. I think it was a 1960-something with a Johnson bar for the gear, and I think it was in England.

I think we'll be ok with the dollies.

1 minute ago, autopatch said:

I remember that video. I think it was a 1960-something with a Johnson bar for the gear, and I think it was in England.

I think we'll be ok with the dollies.

I'm sure you are aware of it but those dollies better have large diameter tires. Conventional car dollies have small wheels and they really don't work at all on gravel.

• Like 2

I have read most of this post and have not commented till now.  I too had an off airport landing in a Mooney due to fuel selector failure (jammed in the off position).  No structural damage in the landing.  However, the person hired by my insurance company to retrieve the airplane opted to increase his profit by lifting a wing over the airport fence.  That did not work well.  It would amaze you what dropping a Mooney wing on fence posts will do to the wing.   Totaled the airplane. 

Your planning is a great deal better but be careful.  Don't cheap out.  Take down the fence unless you are absolutely sure you can get it over. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ELT said:

I have read most of this post and have not coWmmented till now.  I too had an off airport landing in a Mooney due to fuel selector failure (jammed in the off position).  No structural damage in the landing.  However, the person hired by my insurance company to retrieve the airplane opted to increase his profit by lifting a wing over the airport fence.  That did not work well.  It would amaze you what dropping a Mooney wing on fence posts will do to the wing.   Totaled the airplane. 

Your planning is a great deal better but be careful.  Don't cheap out.  Take down the fence unless you are absolutely sure you can get it over. 

We're definitely not going to go over the top. We're either taking it sideways through the gate on casters or taking the fence down. No point in the expense and risk of craning it; in any event there are no trusted crane providers within 200 miles.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:49 PM, L. Trotter said:

Perhaps this has already been discussed or thought about.......

The area surrounding the airport looks quite rural. Would it be possible to just tow the plane to the airport using back roads and then utilize a larger gate elseware?

The north-south roads to the west and the east are both State Routes and at that point ODOT (permits, flagmen, wide load contractors) and the State Police gets involved. I measured each of the gates on the rural road between the State Routes along the south boundary and they are all between 23' 6" and 24' 1".

Somebody made the *fine* design decision that the road leading into the Business Airpark (with a direct shot to the FBO maintenance hangar) required a center median with planted trees bounded by decorative brick walls flanking the entrance. 

We did some testing with orange cones set 23' apart yesterday and think we figured out how to implement Yooper and mooniac15u's advice.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 7:35 PM, Steelstring said:

Yep. That was my aircraft.  I missed all of the fun, it sound like!  I would have helped you measure.  I  did talk to the airport staff for a while and they mentioned the fence as a formidable problem....

There was a nice Gulfstream sitting on the ramp next to my aircraft when I left.  Was that yours? :)

Definitely a small world.  Glad you and yours are ok.  Nice work putting her back down in the field.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Gulfstream - Ha! I *wish*. No. Really. It's on the bucket list. 

We probably walked right past each other because I remember three different people at the desk in the FBO when @FlyChickie and Richard were hanging out in the conference room between photo missions.

7 hours ago, autopatch said:

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Gulfstream - Ha! I *wish*. No. Really. It's on the bucket list. 

We probably walked right past each other because I remember three different people at the desk in the FBO when @FlyChickie and Richard were hanging out in the conference room between photo missions.

Ha!  Probably.  Wish I lived closer.  I’d help with the recovery.  29U is squawked with a gear issue....

I wonder if you can buy three of these and replace the castor wheels with the sort that are big and pneumatic. Would make it so much easier to move this around on a semi-hard surface. Or if you are a CB like me, I would put the tires on a piece of plywood into big black farm tubs and then slide it around through the gate with YooperMan’s technique.

0ad13baac1639d73497ae4ddfef41092.jpg

80c3750ab9bafeebec74154debc9cd25.jpg

OR slide with:

50bf2413d2d4dca8e547e1ae90508adf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1