Off field landing at KSGH

Steelstring

Just now, N9201A said:

Seeing this and knowing the issue, I would pass along advice I got from a demolitions instructor: “There are few problems that can’t be solved with a suitable application of high explosive, although there may be consequences, as to which, see preceding rule...”, but there’s actually a guy on here who thinks acknowledging someone else’s attempts at humor is obstructive. So I won’t. Promise.

You haven't provided enough detail.  Should the explosives be used to make the gate bigger or the plane smaller?  Either of those solve the problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Absolutely. In less than 5 minutes is academic, but in those few minutes I prefer to actively manage my temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comment. Maybe you can answer as someone who makes the initial power reduction others of us skip:
As you ascend, how often are you checking MP? Do you check every 1,000’ or try to keep it at the initial MP setting the whole way through WOT (which could be as low as 3,000 or less)?

You haven't provided enough detail.  Should the explosives be used to make the gate bigger or the plane smaller?  Either of those solve the problem.

Good clarification that underscores just how applicable this theory is!
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, autopatch said:

I remember seeing what I recall to be a black and white Mooney sitting on the ramp on Sunday. Our friend's Cessna was parked next to it. I also drove around it while measuring fence gates. That's so funny, small world. 

Do you remember anyone in a ball cap and an Oshkosh fleece running around with a tape measure? Or a red haired chick running around with our good friend (an older dude) in the Cessna?

Yep. That was my aircraft.  I missed all of the fun, it sound like!  I would have helped you measure.  I  did talk to the airport staff for a while and they mentioned the fence as a formidable problem....

There was a nice Gulfstream sitting on the ramp next to my aircraft when I left.  Was that yours? :)

Definitely a small world.  Glad you and yours are ok.  Nice work putting her back down in the field.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 5:24 AM, pinerunner said:

It does constitute one more case of loss of power on takeoff. They all make me wonder how to minimize the chance it could happen to me. If you don't count things like not enough gas, water in the gas and not bothering to drain the sumps, what kind of things can shut you down at the worst possible time even if you do an excellent preflight? Would a wobble test at every annual make the difference or just be unnecessary expense. How about buying my own boroscope and learning what to look for (if I can change my own spark plugs it must be legal for me to take a peak inside). Frequent oil changes with testing and checking the filter for bits of metal (mine has been great so far on that test) should add to the comfort level. Is it usually valve problems that suddenly cause loss of power in a plane that has been correctly preflighted?  

On 12/5/2017 at 6:30 AM, Greg Ellis said:

Mike Busch says that every owner should have a borescope.  Well, not sure about that but I have one.  Talked to my A&P about what to look for.  More importantly just know what is normal and then if something looks strange you can talk to a mechanic about it.  I don't do any work on my airplane other that what is allowed.  I just like to know what is going on inside my cylinders.

IPC_2017-11-04.08.22.19.8170.jpg

IPC_2017-11-04.08.35.02.6550.jpg

+ 1 for the borescope.... Pictures of my valves were taken by me during my annual with my A&P IA monitoring. He now uses my borescope... I've attached the ASI Valve safety poster to this post, as it shows what failing valves look like...

Valves.JPG.415ef4aabeb0734376fc68c6f3afc264.JPG

14FN0000-ASI-Valve-Safey-Poster_Final.pdf

• Like 3

15 hours ago, autopatch said:

This is moving from my wish list to my purchase list (after I figure out how many AMUs it is going to cost to unzip the fence.)

Glad you made it down safe and you and your passenger walked away... Amazing airmanship! Above is the tool I'm using but there are a couple of competitors in the posted discussion thread Cost range from $200.00 to $10.00. I'm sure the fence repair cost more than that... Good luck on your engine teardown and problem resolution. 

• Like 1

I'm always interested in speaking with people...

You can learn so much from everybody, no matter what their background is...

Have you spoken to a fence guy yet?

There may be a better section of fence to be removed...  or a better way to remove the fence parts you are describing...   or a better way to angle the plane through the narrow passage...

A fence guy may have some interesting methodologies...

Often the fence guy has his business name and number attached to the fence near the gate...

What does the rest of the fence look like?  Is there another way off the property?

wishing you good luck with this one...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 11:58 PM, carusoam said:
I'm always interested in speaking with people...
You can learn so much from everybody, no matter what their background is...
Have you spoken to a fence guy yet?
There may be a better section of fence to be removed...  or a better way to remove the fence parts you are describing...   or a better way to angle the plane through the narrow passage...
A fence guy may have some interesting methodologies...
Often the fence guy has his business name and number attached to the fence near the gate...
What does the rest of the fence look like?  Is there another way off the property?
wishing you good luck with this one...
Best regards,
-a-

The Ohio Air National Guard put the fence up, and I'm not sure exactly when that happened. It is 18' high and topped with barbed wire. While there are some parts of the property that have lower and older fences, none of those are accessible from this field.

16d46d6217124ea521855dae9572fde0.jpg

looks like that fence gate should open flat if you loosen those clamp bolts and rotate the collar just a bit.  After that, just parallel park your way through:  back up and turn so that you end up with the right wing through the fence and right stab beside the fence, then pull forward and turn right.  Might need to back up partway through to get the left wing to clear.

• Like 1

[quote post="395986" timestamp="1512668311" name="ShuRugal" userid="Just parallel park your way through:  back up and turn so that you end up with the right wing through the fence and right stab beside the fence, then pull forward and turn right.  Might need to back up partway through to get the left wing to clear.

Yeah, just like Mooniac15u and Yooper said. I need to listen to them more. ;)

6 minutes ago, autopatch said:

Has there been a "reaction spammer" in the past? I haven't been around enough to witness bad behavior on this board.

We're pretty much self-regulating here, with a rare appearance by the administrators.  Occasionally someone strays and gets called on it but it's generally very civil.

Some may disagree, but it's remarkably better here than a lot of other boards.

• Like 1

The MS software artificially limits the number of likes you can give out in a day...

If you read every post, and respond to many of them... you can run out of likes pretty quickly.

Send a note to the admin, he may be able to raise the limit...

Best regards,

-a-

48 minutes ago, nels said:

Why don't you down scale the plane on a piece of card board and see if it will somehow go through the two per scale posts.

This is a technique used by engineers and machine riggers.  They move machinery on the production floor with only inches to spare.

It is pretty easy to get a scaled drawing.  The POH has some...

Few people can do this using a computer.  But anyone can cut and paste to model the result.  :)

This technique is lovingly called using paper dolls...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The first time we proposed getting one through the fence, I was the idiot to try it with what I described.  We tried it the day before the Parade to make sure it was doable and it took us a while (being pretty careful not to bang any aluminum).  Once you've done it a few times and get the trick, we can usually maneuver one through in less than 5 minutes (longer on narrower gates, but not much).  The key is to full deflect the nose tire twice on every forward and rearward move, for about half the move each way.  Your goal is to move the mains sideways so you are shifting the plane to clear the wing on the gate post that is still on the other side.  

This past summer, Chad (FBO operator) was running the tow bar on a Cherokee (he's a big boy, so he moves the plane like its a tricycle).  His daughter was watching one wing, I was on the other and his son was at the rear of the plane watching the Horizontal stab.  I didn't notice his boy (19 years old) was "aiding" a bit at the back, with his hands on the vertical stab/fairing near the rudder.  Chad full turned the nose wheel half way through one push and his son's hand got caught between the fairing and the rudder.  He squealed pretty good and got blood on the airplane.  IT HURT.  Just make sure who ever is helping keeps their hands out of harms way.

Looking at your gate picture, I agree with SheRugal on loosening the clamps on the hinges.  That will allow the gate to open flat to the fence and also gain you nearly a foot on your opening.

Wish I was there to help.

Tom

• Like 2

I know its slightly controversial but you could increase the turning radius by pushing down on the tail (raising the nose) and rotating the plane around the point between the mains. Alternatively given a good enough surface you could probably rest the noise on a furniture dolly. 

-Robert

• Like 2