Off field landing at KSGH

Steelstring

Maybe lift up and block the ass end where  the whole package can fit through the gate. Just hope they dont drop it like one guy here. He geared up his, and they wrapped straps around the wings which wrinkled the flaps and the wing trailing edges, then they dropped it as well. It totalled the plane.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

You’ve been through a lot recently. They are just trying to make sure you don’t overreact. emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is this like telling someone to calm down?   Which by the way never really helps the situation

18 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Maybe lift up and block the ass end where  the whole package can fit through the gate. Just hope they dont drop it like one guy here. He geared up his, and they wrapped straps around the wings which wrinkled the flaps and the wing trailing edges, then they dropped it as well. It totalled the plane.

How about 3 car dollies under the wheels and go through on an angle.

• Like 1

If your fuel, spark and compression check out and there's no smoking gun on why you lost power, an internal fault in your fuel servo is possible.  You could have fuel pressure in the green and still experience a sudden reduction in power to all cylinders.  Read the last paragraph in https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20120721X23053&ntsbno=CEN12FA463&akey=1

Pull it up to the gate at an angle where one wing will just clear the gate post ant the other side fuselage is near the other gate post with that wing outside the fence.  Swing the one wing through and start moving back and forth turning the nose wheel each direction during this short move with one wing in and one out until you have sideways moved the plane enough to swing the other wing past the other gate post. 

I put airplanes in parades and special off airport events for years.  I can get a plane through a gate faster than you could jack it up to put dollies under it.  

Tom

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Care to explain why? Thinking it is great but not terribly useful in a forum post unless accompanied by a supporting theory or better yet data.

I was asked to remove my evidence because it got someone's tighty whities up in a bundle so I had to leave just that part.

Edited by 201er

5 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I could see where a tall chain link gate that opens only 90 degrees could put a kink in the plans.  A cresent wrench on the gate holding bolts would increase the angles.

I haven't looked at the gates in person yet but that thought did occur to me.  As long as the gates will swing in either direction 90 degrees is workable.

Just now, autopatch said:

IMG_9488.JPG

Yeah, I couldn't tell from the photo whether the gates would swing all the way open.  It also looks like there might be a guy-wire outside the gate on the right side but it's hard to gauge distance in the picture.  As long as the gates can swing open in opposite directions it will still work.

This reads like a semantic argument.  The cooling aspect of excess fuel depends on what you mean by "cooling aspect".  If you mean cooling nature of evaporation, than indeed it's pretty much zero.  However that surplus of fuel is not there to ensure proper combustion (whatever that means).  It is there to slow combustion.  More fuel than air means the flame front must bypass fuel molecules that aren't paired with an O2 molecule. It sort of creates a maze for the flame front to go through in search of combustible fuel/O2 pairings (LOP ops utilize air instead of fuel for the same purpose) .  This slowing of the flame front reduces peak pressure and delays the point at which it occurs.  The result is a steady push through the the piston's power stroke (favorable) instead of a hot, hard hammer blow near TDC at say 100 ROP (no bueno).  In the latter scenario, the surplus fuel (energy) departs via the exhaust in the form of unburnt hydrocarbons (again favorable).  In the former most of the surplus fuel (energy) is burned but a large percentage of it is converted to heat that departs via the cooling fins (again, no bueno) not power.

Proper combustion means no detonation, which the slower combustion provides. And for those of us with 20° timing should not have to slow down the combustion.

10 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Proper combustion means no detonation, which the slower combustion provides. And for those of us with 20° timing should not have to slow down the combustion.

Proper combustion is subjective based on the desired result. The only part of your post I really took issue with was the statement that extra fuel leaves via heat. Anything on the rich side of 50 ROP is almost all going out the exhaust. The evidence for this phenomenon is plainly demonstrable every time you fly. Set power at 50ROP and let temps stabilize, then enrichen. What happens to CHTs? If what you were asserting was correct that added fuel should show up in the form of higher CHTs. Can we agree that this definitely not the case?

After 2-3 minutes, isn’t this really an RPM discussion? A non-turbo is falling below 26” by 3,000 feet ASL anyway.

Absolutely. In less than 5 minutes is academic, but in those few minutes I prefer to actively manage my temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mooniac15u said:

Yeah, I couldn't tell from the photo whether the gates would swing all the way open.  It also looks like there might be a guy-wire outside the gate on the right side but it's hard to gauge distance in the picture.  As long as the gates can swing open in opposite directions it will still work.

I took this picture inside the fence. They will swing open towards the interior of the airport. If not, like everyone has said: Socket set and ten minutes.

Proper combustion is subjective based on the desired result. The only part of your post I really took issue with was the statement that extra fuel leaves via heat. Anything on the rich side of 50 ROP is almost all going out the exhaust. The evidence for this phenomenon is plainly demonstrable every time you fly. Set power at 50ROP and let temps stabilize, then enrichen. What happens to CHTs? If what you were asserting was correct that added fuel should show up in the form of higher CHTs. Can we agree that this definitely not the case?

I agree except for I never said “extra fuel leaves via heat”, I meant to say there is no cooling via evaporation or the absorbing of heat by cool avgas, and the extra avgas insures a smooth combustion event, ie no detonation which is never a desired result.
Bottom line, If I want to cool the engine I don’t enrich it, I just lower the nose.

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

Even 25 degree engines dont detonate at high power, even at lean mixtures. Detonation melts piston crowns down to the ring lands, shatters spark plugs, and even puts holes in pistons. We may run on the edge of light detonation if seriously abused such as leaned for taxi full power takeoff and VX climb until a 500 CHT, but its really not an issue in normal ops.

• Thanks 1

If the plane won't go through the gate for what ever reason, maybe you'd be better off indexing down one fence post from the gate, take down that post and remove it  then roll back the fencing and move the plane through the opening? It would be cheaper than removing/reinstalling a hinged post as they need a better foundation and are heavier than the regular post. Just a thought.

• Like 1

IMG_9488.thumb.JPG.2d4e0b8379f414ca193b9feccea86a0b.JPG

Seeing this and knowing the issue, I would pass along advice I got from a demolitions instructor: “There are few problems that can’t be solved with a suitable application of high explosive, although there may be consequences, as to which, see preceding rule...”, but there’s actually a guy on here who thinks acknowledging someone else’s attempts at humor is obstructive. So I won’t. Promise.
  • Like 1

Pull it up to the gate at an angle where one wing will just clear the gate post ant the other side fuselage is near the other gate post with that wing outside the fence.  Swing the one wing through and start moving back and forth turning the nose wheel each direction during this short move with one wing in and one out until you have sideways moved the plane enough to swing the other wing past the other gate post. 
I put airplanes in parades and special off airport events for years.  I can get a plane through a gate faster than you could jack it up to put dollies under it.  
Tom

Times like this is really wish I had paid more attention in Geometry...instead of staring out the window and daydreaming about airplanes.
  • Haha 4