Off field landing at KSGH

Steelstring

I just made a flight into Springfield Ohio (KSGH) this morning.  When I went into the terminal, they mentioned that a Mooney went down last night...lost power at 300 feet.  Everyone is ok and the aircraft was largely undamaged.  Tail number N201P.

Was it anyone from here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Chris Marshall has been posting about it on Facebook, He and everyone is fine, the plane appears to be flyable once the engine issue is corrected. Perhaps the title should be something other than Mooney Down, this was an off field landing.

Where on Facebook? Haven't found any info on it. 

Thanks.

The friend I took with me to Florida (Joe) this weekend got a text from the pilot with a couple pictures.  He is friends with the owner/ pilot.  Looked like great airmanship and no real damage to the plane.  It appeared to be in a farm field and within 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the airport.   Joe was told last night they would be assessing the situation today.  I dropped him off at KOSU around noon today and haven't heard any more news. 

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

The friend I took with me to Florida (Joe) this weekend got a text from the pilot with a couple pictures.  He is friends with the owner/ pilot.  Looked like great airmanship and no real damage to the plane.  It appeared to be in a farm field and within 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the airport.   Joe was told last night they would be assessing the situation today.  I dropped him off at KOSU around noon today and haven't heard any more news. 

Tom

Does Joe have an M20E at KOSU?

• Thanks 1

yea, you might have to be a Facebook friend of Chris's to see his post. He did not post it to a group, but rather on his timeline. Anyway, the plane is sitting in a field, just off the airport. The plane shows no damage, just an off field wheels down landing.

Please change the title, OP, as this is sooo very media like....next thing we will read here is the engine stalled and he didn't file a flight plan.

Great job keeping everyone unharmed, Chris!

• Like 2

Just now, Yooper Rocketman said:

Yes he does.  He's still partners in his Grumman Tiger too.  He needs to finish his IVPT soon though!

Tom

It's a nice looking E.  I haven't ridden in it but I hear it's fast.  I guess you can never have too many airplanes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

yea, you might have to be a Facebook friend of Chris's to see his post. He did not post it to a group, but rather on his timeline. Anyway, the plane is sitting in a field, just off the airport. The plane shows no damage, just an off field wheels down landing.

Please change the title, OP, as this is sooo very media like....next thing we will read here is the engine stalled and he didn't file a flight plan.

Great job keeping everyone unharmed, Chris!

Is that better?  I get your point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Steelstring said:

Is that better?  I get your point.

Much better! The last "Mooney down" I remember reading here went down in trees in CT or VT, killing the pilot and the passenger . . . .

Off field landings are stressful to the ones in the plane, but these nice folks walked away and the plane may be reusable. Good job all around here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It does constitute one more case of loss of power on takeoff. They all make me wonder how to minimize the chance it could happen to me. If you don't count things like not enough gas, water in the gas and not bothering to drain the sumps, what kind of things can shut you down at the worst possible time even if you do an excellent preflight? Would a wobble test at every annual make the difference or just be unnecessary expense. How about buying my own boroscope and learning what to look for (if I can change my own spark plugs it must be legal for me to take a peak inside). Frequent oil changes with testing and checking the filter for bits of metal (mine has been great so far on that test) should add to the comfort level. Is it usually valve problems that suddenly cause loss of power in a plane that has been correctly preflighted?  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pinerunner said:

It does constitute one more case of loss of power on takeoff. They all make me wonder how to minimize the chance it could happen to me. If you don't count things like not enough gas, water in the gas and not bothering to drain the sumps, what kind of things can shut you down at the worst possible time even if you do an excellent preflight? Would a wobble test at every annual make the difference or just be unnecessary expense. How about buying my own boroscope and learning what to look for (if I can change my own spark plugs it must be legal for me to take a peak inside). Frequent oil changes with testing and checking the filter for bits of metal (mine has been great so far on that test) should add to the comfort level. Is it usually valve problems that suddenly cause loss of power in a plane that has been correctly preflighted?  

Mike Busch says that every owner should have a borescope.  Well, not sure about that but I have one.  Talked to my A&P about what to look for.  More importantly just know what is normal and then if something looks strange you can talk to a mechanic about it.  I don't do any work on my airplane other that what is allowed.  I just like to know what is going on inside my cylinders.

IPC_2017-11-04.08.22.19.8170.jpg

IPC_2017-11-04.08.35.02.6550.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinerunner said:

Takeoff power imposes the most stress on an engine that is why so many occur during takeoff. A good run up, slow power acceleration and brake release after full power achieved with gauges on the green minimize the chances of a power failure. Rockets are hold down until full thrust is verified before liftoff.  https://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-4204/ch13-4.html

José

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Piloto said:

Takeoff power imposes the most stress on an engine that is why so many occur during takeoff.

Jose', I agree with you.  Having started out with round motors,  high power settings were considered stressful on the engine and high power settings were time-limited.

However, it seems to be in vogue on Mooneyspace to climb at high power settings and the POH recommended reduction to 26"/2600 is poo-poo'd by most of the experts who post here.  The thought is that such a reduction is an OWT and that the engine is certified at max power to TBO.

It just seems intuitive to me that reducing power will produce less stress on the engine.  Less stress=longevity/reliability.

I guess I'm a dinosaur.

• Like 6