My Century 2000 in my 1989 J has seen its better days, so I’m starting to look at options.  (It has recently has taken on a life of it own; we will be flying along straight & level, and all of a sudden it will decide to turn left or right!)  

I have an Aspen, so that may take some options off the table.  I’ve seen discussions about Garmin’s options, TruTrac, and a couple others. I ran across S-TEC (aka Genesys Aerosystems) and had a nice conversation with Barry. The 3100 indeed sounds like a nice unit (for 20K it should be!), it does all the cool stuff but Mooney has not risen to the top of their STC listing. I understand that a certain Cessna model group banded together, signed $ for committed orders, and now they are #1 in line. I don’t know if there are 10-20 MooneySpace pilots are ready to do that. 

All I know is that I’m tired of throwing $1-2K at this darn thing every friggin year. It’s time...any suggestions?

http://genesys-aerosystems.com/products/s-tec-3100-digital-flight-control-system

On 12/3/2017 at 9:22 AM, PeytonM said:

My Century 2000 in my 1989 J has seen its better days, so I’m starting to look at options.  (It has recently has taken on a life of it own; we will be flying along straight & level, and all of a sudden it will decide to turn left or right!)  

If you're taking it to a shop that is throwing parts at your autopilot I can see where your patience is running thin. But there might be more life in your Century 2000. You might check with the people that made it http://www.centuryflight.com/ or Autopilots Central http://www.autopilotcentral.com/.

It might not need a huge repair.

I’ve been giving this some thought. I too have an Aspen and I’m thinking about adding a G5 as a backup.  If I can find someone to sign it off it will allow me to drop my vacuum system and get rid of my cdi. It would also allow me to install the 500 AP.  I’ve started watching the used market for a gad 29 as individuals upgrade to the 29e version. 

The Garmin G5 a certified as a primary attitude indicator only. Garmin is aware of people installing them as back ups but this is not advisable because the software and such is not as robust as an Aspen or a G500 for example. 

Edited by jetdriven

The Garmin G5 a certified as a primary attitude indicator only. Garmin is aware of people installing them as back ups but this is not advisable because the software and such is not as robust as an Aspen or a G500 for example. 

G5 is certified, I find hard to believe that that code is any different than in G500. I would think all the AI code is from G1000 base, and is just as robust. After all it can be a backup to itself.

I think it’s simply they want to sell more expensive full displays and not have G5 undercut their own sales.

10 hours ago, teejayevans said:

G5 is certified, I find hard to believe that that code is any different than in G500. I would think all the AI code is from G1000 base, and is just as robust. After all it can be a backup to itself.

I think it’s simply they want to sell more expensive full displays and not have G5 undercut their own sales.

The G5 a certified as a primary attitude indicator only. It can also replace the turn coordinator as long as the original attitude indicator remains. But the G5 STC specifically  allows it to be used as either a primary AI or as a back up for the existing attitude indicator , and the G500 and G600 STC specifically only allow certain models of back ups for them as well. Same thing with Aspen. So go ahead and install it, just bring approved data.  I’m not sure how I would provide that. 

Theres also this.  

AFA4B69A-BA2E-4C5A-B7BB-23ECEFD20D9C.png

• Like 1