When to replace starter?

rbridges

Just now, rbridges said:

It's happened twice in the last handful of flights. Turn key and it sounds like it didn't "grab." Immediately turn key a second time and everything is normal. I just don't want to be left stranded and I don't know how fast they start going downhill. 

Before you run and throw money at the starter, makes sure it's not the impulse coupling in the mag that's causing the problem.

• Like 1

If you hear the starter spinning, but don’t have the engine turning it’s the Bendix not engaging, not the impulse coupling. If however the engine is turning but it won’t start it’s a different matter.

Clarence

It's like a buzzing. Definitely doesn't sound like engine turning. Prop isn't moving if that matters. 

Lube baby lube. Normally people are using silicon spray which I did for years. After a period of time I would need to spray it again. 3 years ago I used a little bit of Deep Creep and it has been fine ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rbridges said:

It's like a buzzing. Definitely doesn't sound like engine turning. Prop isn't moving if that matters. 

Isn't the buzzing just the shower of sparks most likely?  If so, it would sound the same if you turn ignition without pushing in (i.e. sending power to starter).  I suspect lube advice above is correct, but I had identical issue once from a loose contact on ignition switch.

• Like 4

I’m on my second starter for this airplane which I have owned for sixteen years and counting. Like everyone has suggested, there are a number of other components which could be the cause of your issue other than the condition of the starter itself. My last starter gave no indication that it was about to go and I got stranded on a $100 hamburger run. “Honey, can you come get me?” Boy did that turn out to be an expensive hamburger!

Short of picking some arbitrary replacement interval like 8 to 10 years or a certain number of starts / flights, I don’t know how else you could do it. There is some advantage to building in reliability to try to avoid inconveniences but that can get real expensive too.

1 hour ago, BKlott said:

I’m on my second starter for this airplane which I have owned for sixteen years and counting. Like everyone has suggested, there are a number of other components which could be the cause of your issue other than the condition of the starter itself. My last starter gave no indication that it was about to go and I got stranded on a $100 hamburger run. “Honey, can you come get me?” Boy did that turn out to be an expensive hamburger!

Short of picking some arbitrary replacement interval like 8 to 10 years or a certain number of starts / flights, I don’t know how else you could do it. There is some advantage to building in reliability to try to avoid inconveniences but that can get real expensive too.

Fortunately most starter failure modes include a while of poor starting before they die. Usually you get a bad spot on the motor and have to try a few times.

I replaced mine with a SkyTech about 15 years ago. When I've had issues I send it back to them and am always amazed how inexpensive their repair service is. So maybe this is the last starter Ill buy, just send it to them every 5 years or so to give it the once over.

When I'm flying the Cessna fleet with their 24 volt systems its always amazing how much better the starters are. I think you could fly on the speed it spends the prop! :) Even the T206H spins I'm sure it registers on the tach.

-Robert

My 65C lived outdoors...  a couple of times per year you would hear the whizzzz of the starter but nothing else was happening...

Spray the Bendix shaft with the lube...  you will probably see some rust in the area as well.  See rust? Spray it with lube...

At annual, that gets lubed...

Funny memories of a PP only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-