Got ramp checked - Part II

Good morning all.  First off thank you to all that were positive and @Andy95W for recommending AOPA.  That was the best thing I could have done and probably the first.  Let me just make the situation clear.  At no point was the inspector a "Rambo" or out of line.  Both parties including myself were very professional I was definitely caught off guard and I answered honestly.  If that is a crime I'd probably end up doing it again because I find it easier to just say it the way it is.   As it turns out AOPA cleared a lot of the misconceptions up.  First because the plane was not ready for flight by the door being open and pitot tube still covered, the movement of the airplane even engine running can be done by anyone with training.  Second admitting to what was discovered is truth not admission.  I didn't have my medical and I didn't have a Biennial.  Both are offenses and both are very easy to correct.  Had I been flying this would have been a different story.  After looking at the logs I have not flown since the end of August which by the graces works in my favor because the expirations were September and October.  According to AOPA it is proof positive I was within the law not flying while not certified.  It is amazing how a log book can sink or help.  My mind was reeling I wasn't thinking clearly to even look.   The guy I spoke to at AOPA was really cool and said that this has happened many times and as long as a professional atmosphere is maintained its a simple "correct the issues" and fly on.  The info that was exchanged was for the inspector to prove he did a ramp check and if I get checked again the system would show I had "issues"  that should not get repeated.  Also if the FAA was going to pursue this I would have been given a packet with phone numbers and a "ticket number".  AOPA made it clear to get my papers in order ASAP and move on.  Weather permitting I should be good by next week.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Good morning all.  First off thank you to all that were positive and @Andy95W for recommending AOPA.  That was the best thing I could have done and probably the first.  Let me just make the situation clear.  At no point was the inspector a "Rambo" or out of line.  Both parties including myself were very professional I was definitely caught off guard and I answered honestly.  If that is a crime I'd probably end up doing it again because I find it easier to just say it the way it is.   As it turns out AOPA cleared a lot of the misconceptions up.  First because the plane was not ready for flight by the door being open and pitot tube still covered, the movement of the airplane even engine running can be done by anyone with training.  Second admitting to what was discovered is truth not admission.  I didn't have my medical and I didn't have a Biennial.  Both are offenses and both are very easy to correct.  Had I been flying this would have been a different story.  After looking at the logs I have not flown since the end of August which by the graces works in my favor because the expirations were September and October.  According to AOPA it is proof positive I was within the law not flying while not certified.  It is amazing how a log book can sink or help.  My mind was reeling I wasn't thinking clearly to even look.   The guy I spoke to at AOPA was really cool and said that this has happened many times and as long as a professional atmosphere is maintained its a simple "correct the issues" and fly on.  The info that was exchanged was for the inspector to prove he did a ramp check and if I get checked again the system would show I had "issues"  that should not get repeated.  Also if the FAA was going to pursue this I would have been given a packet with phone numbers and a "ticket number".  AOPA made it clear to get my papers in order ASAP and move on.  Weather permitting I should be good by next week.

That's awesome news, Joe.  Get everything back current and chalk this one up as "experience".  If nothing else, you reminded us all to watch ourselves a bit closer!

Tom

• Like 1

That's awesome news, Joe.  Get everything back current and chalk this one up as "experience".  If nothing else, you reminded us all to watch ourselves a bit closer!
Tom
I'll chalk this one up for the "Team" but next time it's somebody else's turn. It is nothing like a speeding ticket. I think I aged five years in the past 36 hours. Thanks to AOPA for clearing up all the misconceptions and for the group who recommended me to seek them out. Been a member for several years but forgot to use them. Definitely a lesson learned.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 6