Got ramp checked

Did you tell him you didn’t have an intention to fly?  If you’re towing a personal aircraft (not running the motor) in a non-movement area, with no intention to fly- I’m pretty sure you don’t need a biennial or a valid medical.  I could be wrong though- I don’t have the regs sitting in front of me.  Once you’re sitting behind the controls and taxing through movement areas, I think that’s when you need to be in currency.

Mechanics taxi aircraft through movement areas with no medical or license so I would say he’s fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

It might exlain this.

352A1B10-FEFC-489E-9D99-EA4126EFFF7F.png

I'm sorry, is there supposed to be a difference between "jail" and "prison"? Some jails have the grand title of "penitentiary" but they're still jails--ask the inmates. I agree that Juvey Hall can be a different experience.

I strongly agree with whoever said to go for the Federal Pen rather than city, county or state lockups. Martha Stewart didn't seem overly bothered by her little stint in the Federal Pen, but it would have been very different in a smaller facility with limited funding, no baseball fields or craft rooms, no libraries, etc.

P.S.--just for reference, because stats can be selected to make whatever point the presenter wishes, add another line for either U.S. Population over this period, or perhaps the percentage of the population in each kind of lockup. The raw numbers are deceiving, we need to examine the rates. Oh, and put vertical lines showing when prayer was removed from school, when corporal punishment was removed from school, when "situational ethics" began to be taught, and for the "war on drugs." I won't taunt you by asking for another line for the FBI Violent Crime Rate, which should be closely tied to the lockup rate.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

It might exlain this.

352A1B10-FEFC-489E-9D99-EA4126EFFF7F.png

I'm sorry, is there supposed to be a difference between "jail" and "prison"? Some jails have the grand title of "penitentiary" but they're still jails--ask the inmates. I agree that Juvey Hall can be a different experience.

I strongly agree with whoever said to go for the Federal Pen rather than city, county or state lockups. Martha Stewart didn't seem overly bothered by her little stint in the Federal Pen, but it would have been very different in a smaller facility with limited funding, no baseball fields or craft rooms, no libraries, etc.

P.S.--just for reference, because stats can be selected to make whatever point the presenter wishes, add another line for either U.S. Population over this period, or perhaps the percentage of the population in each kind of lockup. The raw numbers are deceiving, we need to examine the rates. Oh, and put vertical lines showing when prayer was removed from school, when corporal punishment was removed from school, when "situational ethics" began to be taught, and for the "war on drugs." I won't taunt you by asking for another line for the FBI Violent Crime Rate, which should be closely tied to the lockup rate.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I'm sorry, is there supposed to be a difference between "jail" and "prison"?

I don't know the source if the graph or its definitions, so there's no way to tell what they are comparing. Generally speaking, "jail" is used to refer to county and municipal facilities, while "prison" refers to state and federal facilities. The "jail" population usually includes pretrial detainees while "prisons" have few of those. We also don't know if the graph is looking at the nation, one state, federal institutions, state institutions. Without knowing those things, the graph is pretty meaningless except perhaps to show the obvious, the growth of the numbers incarcerated.

My question would be, what is a Fed doing in Hazen, ND in Nov. 
Pritch
Never asked. I'm guessing it had to do with a prior mishap that occurred a few weeks ago. A C172 I think landed and blew two tires and skidded. Did some damage to airport and airplane.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

Never asked. I'm guessing it had to do with a prior mishap that occurred a few weeks ago. A C172 I think landed and blew two tires and skidded. Did some damage to airport and airplane.

How in the dam hill can a Cessna skidding "damage the airport"??? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

It hit some fenced in area as it went across the airport. I never even knew it happened till about two weeks later....

2 blown tires, slid off the runway and hit a fenced area.... My 172 won't go that fast

• Haha 3

2 blown tires, slid off the runway and hit a fenced area.... My 172 won't go that fast
Wasn't there. That's what was told to me by others at the airport. I'm guessing that was the reason he was there I never asked. I was so caught off guard because it is a Podunk airport i really lost my mind and logic. The last few months have been a horror show from head on collisions to selling a home to not having a place to move to. I was at the airport to just veg out and clear my mind and fill the plane. In the end as some have said this was a cool way of keeping me up on my endorsements. I had totally forgotten about them and this guy reminded me. I hate that I had to go thru it cause it did aggravate me for being stupid but I can't say he was arrogant or cocky. He just stated the obvious. I just did not think fast enough and didn't know what to do. From now on. AOPA first. Not everything is a bad it wasn't fun because the fear of misconceptions and losing my freedom to fly was overwhelming but proper paperwork and honestly prevailed and all is good. Lesson learned. Next chapter!

• Like 2

You have to really screw up to get you ticket pulled, flying under the influence, smuggling, etc...... A local CFII (now retired) busted a Presidential TFR over Baylor University, 30 minute ass crewing was all he got, another guy I know screwed up and flew through class Bravo (Houston) 30 minutes with a FAAST team member on the phone, 2 hours with a CFI followed by another 30 minutes or so wth the FAAST team guy......done deal. Down here on the Mexican border there are several Law Enforcement agencies, Joint task forces and the National Guard all flying around so an unarmed FAA guy is a cakewalk to deal with

8 hours ago, Hank said:

Good point.  US population was 106.5 million in 1920 in 2014 it was 318.5 million.  Incarceration rate is outpacing population growth rate.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, MyNameIsNobody said:

My take is he did you a favor.  You screwed the pooch and he alerted you so you could take action.  What if you had flown and had a gear up while out of medical and without a current flight review?

Send the guy a bottle and say “Thank you”.

On that note, your insurance policy would more that likely deny your claim as well.  

27 minutes ago, jwilcoxon78 said:

On that note, your insurance policy would more that likely deny your claim as well.  

Does your policy contain language requiring you to have a current medical and flight review?  Mine does not.  Since there is a section on pilot qualifications where they lay out requirements but make no mention of those items it would be difficult for them to deny your claim.

Does anyone know of actual claim that was denied due to a lapsed medical or flight review?

1 hour ago, steingar said:

I've always heard pilots claim insurance won't pay if you don't  have your medical or annual inspection or whatever.  I've never heard of insurance not paying.  Never.

At least one company (Avemco) used to publish a detailed list of their claim denials every year.  It appears they've stopped doing so, but I doubt things have changed much since 2011: https://www.avemco.com/Articles/ART0006-2011.pdf

The money quote from that article is, "Of our 460 claims, only 6 (or 1.3%) were denied for all reasons."  You can read about the detailed reasons in the article.  Most of them are obvious issues almost no one would argue with, such as aircraft being operated by a pilot not named on the policy, or filing an in-flight claim when the policy holder explicitly chose to purchase a no-in-flight-coverage policy.  Avemco handles the medical/annual thing by asking if you have one at the time the policy is purchased.  Assuming you don't lie about it, they don't deny claims if you later have an incident after your medical/annual expires.

Not intending to shill for Avemco here - I used to be a customer but haven't been in years.  They're just the only aviation insurance company I know of that has ever published their claim denial statistics.  I assume the market is competitive enough that other brokers/underwriters must have similar statistics, but can't say for sure.

1 hour ago, mooniac15u said:

Does your policy contain language requiring you to have a current medical and flight review?  Mine does not.  Since there is a section on pilot qualifications where they lay out requirements but make no mention of those items it would be difficult for them to deny your claim.

Does anyone know of actual claim that was denied due to a lapsed medical or flight review?

1. Policy contain language? Yes. Every personal policy I've looked at so far has language like that.  I'd be surprised if yours really did not.

Here's Avemco's standard language:

2. has a current and effective medical certificate if a medical certificate is required by the FAA for the Pilot Certificate privileges being exercised;
3. satisfies the FAA's flight review requirements

Here's one from AIG i a club policy

THE AIRCRAFT WILL ONLY BE OPERATED BY PILOTIS SPECIFIED BELOW WHO POSSESS CURRENT AND VALID RATINGS AND CERTIFICATES AS REQUIRED FOR THE AIRCRAFT BEING FLOWN AND A CURRENT AND VALID FAA MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (IF REQUIRED BY THE FAA).

2. Actual claim denied because of a lapsed medical or flight review? Yes. Lapsed flight review in that case. More likely in some states than others.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

1. Policy contain language? Yes. Every personal policy I've looked at so far has language like that.  I'd be surprised if yours really did not.

2. has a current and effective medical certificate if a medical certificate is required by the FAA for the Pilot Certificate privileges being exercised;

THE AIRCRAFT WILL ONLY BE OPERATED BY PILOTIS SPECIFIED BELOW WHO POSSESS CURRENT AND VALID RATINGS AND CERTIFICATES AS REQUIRED FOR THE AIRCRAFT BEING FLOWN AND A CURRENT AND VALID FAA MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (IF REQUIRED BY THE FAA).

2. Actual claim denied because of a lapsed medical or flight review? Yes. 

I have no such language in my policy from Global.  If that language exists in your policy then clearly they would have grounds to deny a claim.

26 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

2. Actual claim denied because of a lapsed medical or flight review? Yes. Lapsed flight review in that case. More likely in some states than others.

That Avemco language is interesting given their specific statement on their website that they will pay claims even if your medical or flight review expire.

" Avemco will pay your covered claim even if your medical, annual or flight review accidentally expires mid-term. "

https://www.avemco.com/why-avemco.aspx

On 11/29/2017 at 12:05 AM, Marauder said:

I think they are no longer called “bi” anything. I was told at my last review they are now called “Flight Reviews”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Heh.  They are now called (Biennial) Flight Reviews.  The correct name is "Flight Review," and since they occur every two years, everyone puts "(Biennial)" in parentheses so you know they know it is now an every-two-year "Flight Review."  I just did mine a couple of weeks ago and heard all about it.  I call it "biennial Flight Review."  Just our tax dollars at work simplifying what was perfectly clear.  If you use the words biennial Flight Review in spoken English you then get to spend a few sentences explaining to the CFI that you weren't capitalizing the "B" when you said what you said.  You were just using the small case normal adjective for "every-two-years."  I guess you could also call it a bFR.

• Haha 1

Just now, jlunseth said:

Heh.  They are now called (Biennial) Flight Reviews.  The correct name is "Flight Review," and since they occur every two years, everyone puts "(Biennial)" in parentheses so you know they know it is now an every-two-year "Flight Review."  I just did mine a couple of weeks ago and heard all about it.  I call it "biennial Flight Review."  Just our tax dollars at work simplifying what was perfectly clear.  If you use the words biennial Flight Review in spoken English you then get to spend a few sentences explaining to the CFI that you weren't capitalizing the "B" when you said what you said.  You were just using the small case normal adjective for "every-two-years."  I guess you could also call it a bFR.

So a BFR (aka bFR) is actually an FR with a CFI per 14 CFR?  Seems perfectly clear.

4 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

When someone says "BFR" is wrong, that it's "not biennial anymore," I just roll my eyes. It's on a par with, "its not the FAR anymore, it's now the CFR," or, "it's now 14 CFR." 

Besides, strictly speaking it was never "biennial" to begin with.

I could see not denying the claim for an expired medical if the incident wasn't caused by a medical condition or issue, but if you were to suffer a medical event causing the incident while flying on an expired medical I would think they could definitely deny the claim, no?

1 hour ago, Marcopolo said:

I could see not denying the claim for an expired medical if the incident wasn't caused by a medical condition or issue, but if you were to suffer a medical event causing the incident while flying on an expired medical I would think they could definitely deny the claim, no?

It depends on two things; policy language and state law. The number of state-specific issues and how different states can be is surprising to most. Assuming applicable policy exclusion language, in some states the reason for the denial has to be tied to the cause of the accident in order to deny coverage. That's tougher to do than one might think and probably results in claims being paid. In others, state law treats policy language very strictly - if it's a condition of policy coverage you be legally current for the operation, the insurer can deny coverage without having to show anything other than you weren't current.

• Like 1