Dumb Ice ??

INA201

On 11/28/2017 at 9:21 PM, Piloto said:

I use this FAA website for predicting icing conditions at specific altitudes. Very useful.

http://www.aviationweather.gov/icing/fip

Foreflight icing/altitude graphics

IMG_0153.thumb.PNG.43ae4f8d4e54c39a8addcac496d3d083.PNGand overlays on the map

IMG_0154.thumb.PNG.9c14fdeabeb298ad41e5c343f6826297.PNG

(Note the time slider - bottom- and icing @ altitude slider {@7K current} - on right side)

+ visible moisture Metars/Forecast and * stay out of clouds*  or other VI's moisture. Having  had one "adventure" with icing beyond ability to hold altitude (during IFR training....also un-forecast..."where you find it" clause). My rule, if starting to get ice ***Immediately execute corrective navigation out of the icing****  .... in budding emergencies  you can ask ATC for permission after the fact/while executing but airframe icing can come on unbelievably fast. Be careful out there. 

On 12/6/2017 at 9:17 PM, milotron said:

Mildly off topic..

Interesting weather today. Beautiful clear with low, cold fog down low near the ocean.

I ended up driving for other reasons, bur freezing fog was METARed as several local airports. The most recent one reports 1/4" rime ice on the weather instruments at the airfield!

5a28ceb80518a_ScreenShot2017-12-06at9_11_42PM.png.fac99c61891143f4c9fd7cf5925647d9.png

iain

You won’t make it to the hold short from your hangar/tie down in freezing fog without accumulating ice on your prop... unless it’s heated or has a slinger.  And the second you start to roll, you’ll accumulate ice.  Freezing fog may not seem like that big of a deal, especially when it’s only a couple hundred feet thick and clear above, but it can really ruin your day.  Some of the jets ive flown have a restriction on starting the engines in freezing fog... it’ll fod them out.  Imagine a 2MM engine being torn down just because you tried to start it in the fog... expensive mistake!

Edited by M016576

On 12/16/2017 at 9:10 AM, Stephen said:

Foreflight icing/altitude graphics

IMG_0153.thumb.PNG.43ae4f8d4e54c39a8addcac496d3d083.PNGand overlays on the map

IMG_0154.thumb.PNG.9c14fdeabeb298ad41e5c343f6826297.PNG

(Note the time slider - bottom- and icing @ altitude slider {@7K current} - on right side)

+ visible moisture Metars/Forecast and * stay out of clouds*  or other VI's moisture. Having  had one "adventure" with icing beyond ability to hold altitude (during IFR training....also un-forecast..."where you find it" clause). My rule, if starting to get ice ***Immediately execute corrective navigation out of the icing****  .... in budding emergencies  you can ask ATC for permission after the fact/while executing but airframe icing can come on unbelievably fast. Be careful out there. 

Foreflight should alter the map so one can have icing and radar available at the same time. I recently was dodging the elements and had to toggle between the two. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 11:27 AM, M016576 said:

You won’t make it to the hold short from your hangar/tie down in freezing fog without accumulating ice on your prop... unless it’s heated or has a slinger.  And the second you start to roll, you’ll accumulate ice.  Freezing fog may not seem like that big of a deal, especially when it’s only a couple hundred feet thick and clear above, but it can really ruin your day.  Some of the jets ive flown have a restriction on starting the engines in freezing fog... it’ll fod them out.  Imagine a 2MM engine being torn down just because you tried to start it in the fog... expensive mistake!

Yeah, I cancelled on that day for health reasons, but that fog wasn't forecast. Fortunately I would have just flown over that ( destination was clear ). I wouldn't have even considered that. FOg has been causing a lot of issues here the last 2 weeks or so. Well below minimums, that even the heavies where grounded or sent to alternates.

I thought it was interesting that the wx guy noted the accretion on his instruments!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 9:25 AM, Browncbr1 said:

I have wondered at what temperature is it just too cold for ice to be possible.   Some have told me that if it’s 20F or below between you and the ground, no problem to fly through IMC?

Not true around the Great Lakes where the clouds that sprawl up from the Lakes are around freezing temp and become ice machines, despite even if it's 15F on the ground (since the Lakes are warmer).

Edited by AlexLev
  • Like 2