M20F w/201 mods

25 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Mike Busch isn't making mechanics look bad, mechanics make themselves look bad.  If a customer asks you if their Lyc 4 cyl can go 4000 hours on a bottom end given that Mr. Busch did it with a  TSIO540.  Articulate a reasoned position...even if it's simply "we've never done that and it makes me uncomfortable

I don't want to put words into @N6758N's computer or anything, I think what we're talking about is the customer that you tell he needs an overhaul because he's got oil leaks out the yang-yang, 3 compressions are borderline, and you start finding more metal slivers in his oil filter but his only response is, "I'm going to get a second opinion because Mike Busch says that engines can go 4000 hours before overhaul.  You're just trying to rip me off!"

• Like 1

Just now, Shadrach said:

Thanks! I've corrected that very important typo.  I was really starting to think that you were "that guy"…but you sir, you've done me one better; you've turned around and proved it! 

That's me, I'm that guy! 

3 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I don't want to put words into @N6758N's computer or anything, I think what we're talking about is the customer that you tell he needs an overhaul because he's got oil leaks out the yang-yang, 3 compressions are borderline, and you start finding more metal slivers in his oil filter but his only response is, "I'm going to get a second opinion because Mike Busch says that engines can go 4000 hours before overhaul.  You're just trying to rip me off!"

I've never met a pilot like that.  I'll take your word for it that they exist, but I would hope they're a rarity.

I'll contrast that with all of the credentialed mechanics that told me to overhaul a 900hr engine with a cracked case. 

1 minute ago, Andy95W said:

Thanks Andy, this is what I was trying to say. Everyone is an expert now... that is basically my point. I'll go back to defending myself against the mechanic/banker expert, who know's so much about these engines via Mr.Busch that he can't tell the difference between Lycoming and Continental Models....

6 minutes ago, N6758N said:

I'll go back to defending myself against the mechanic/banker expert, who know's so much about these engines via Mr.Busch that he can't tell the difference between Lycoming and Continental Models....

I'll just keep defending myself against people who don'tknow the difference between "engine and "motor." Hint:  only one of them burns fuel . . . .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I've never met a pilot like that.  I'll take your word for it that they exist, but I would hope they're a rarity.

I'll contrast that with all of the credentialed mechanics that told me to overhaul a 900hr engine with a cracked case. 

Didn’t you disassemble the engine, repair the case, and reassemble it for around 4K?  How is that engine running now? How much did you save? 

33 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Didn’t you disassemble the engine, repair the case, and reassemble it for around 4K?  How is that engine running now? How much did you save? 

You've an excellent memory!  $4k to split the case and send out for OH and IRAN internals (needed nothing, but was prudent to replace a few items). I hung the engine, my MX monitored and supervised the install for $500.

$4500 all in. That was 2010. Running like a top 7 years and 400hrs later.

savings of  $15,000- $30,000 depending on FOH or Exchange.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Thanks Andy, this is what I was trying to say. Everyone is an expert now... that is basically my point. I'll go back to defending myself against the mechanic/banker expert, who know's so much about these engines via Mr.Busch that he can't tell the difference between Lycoming and Continental Models....

You are skilled in the art of ad hominem. With practice your shit posts might rise to the level of sophistry. Keep up the goo..well keep at it.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

You are skilled in the art of ad hominem. With practice your shit posts might rise to the level of sophistry. Keep up the goo..well keep at it.

I suggest you look up the definition of ad hominem Ross.... I don't care for making personal attacks on anyone on here, I leave that stuff to you fine gentleman. I do sincerely hope we get to meet in person someday @Shadrach because I keep telling myself there is no way you are so arrogant in person! I think we'd get along great without the power of the internet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N6758N said:

I suggest you look up the definition of ad hominem Ross.... I don't care for making personal attacks on anyone on here, I leave that stuff to you fine gentleman. I do sincerely hope we get to meet in person someday @Shadrach because I keep telling myself there is no way you are so arrogant in person! I think we'd get along great without the power of the internet. 

Every argument you've made in this thread has been ad hominem. Starting with Mr Busch's credentials and then moving on to me "the banker". You've not made a single argument for why Busch's theories are bad, instead you chose to attack his experience and credentials (without even stating what they were). Additionally, you've not addressed any of the points I made. Instead you tried to make something out of an inconsequential typo and then moved to making assumptions that my profession somehow means my experience is nill and derived from being an apparent Mike Busch fanboy. You closed by arrogantly telling me to look up the definition of ad hominem and then seemily oblivios to the irony, inferred that I am arrogant. 

You've not made a single technical argument in all of the drivel you've posted regarding Busch or the pilot's that use his services. Out of curiosity, I looked at your profile. If the birthdate is to be believed, you just turned 27 last month. Given your comments about Mr. Busch's lack of credentials, how about shedding some light on your own?  When did you get your A&P?  How many engines have you overhauled (aircraft or otherwise)? Do you have an Inspection Authorization?  What are your areas of expertise, beyond trolling and ad hominem attacks?  I've linked Mr. Busch's CV below. I'm sure you've built some comensurate experience in the 9 years you've been eligible to be an A&P. 

https://www.savvyaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/savvy_pdf/busch_cv+rates+agreement.pdf

BTW, I'm not a banker anymore. That part of my carreer ended with a merger back in late 2009. It's why I had the time to R&R the engine on my Mooney that year. That was probably long befor you dreamed of pretending to be a grey beard mechanic on an Internet forum.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, N6758N said:

How long have you had an A&P? How many shop days have you worked? How many engines have you torn down and reassembled? Or performed a major repair on? Since apparently everyone is full of shit, according to you,  I prefer the ones who have been there and done that’s shit over someone who hasn’t. Just curious. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 4:18 PM, jetdriven said:

How long have you had an A&P? How many shop days have you worked? How many engines have you torn down and reassembled? Or performed a major repair on? Since apparently everyone is full of shit, according to you,  I prefer the ones who have been there and done that’s shit over someone who hasn’t. Just curious. 

Haha oh Byron, at least I've met you in person and know you're a pretty nice dude, not arrogant as all your posts appear on here. @Shadrach is right, actually I just turned 28 but close enough ;). If you really want to know I have been doing this stuff for about 10 years, and I have had my IA for about 4. I have a Bachelors in aviation maintenance. I have personally torn down and reassembled about 6 engines from start to finish, including that on my own airplane. I've repaired and replaced cylinders, and I can guarantee I have signed off more annuals than either of you. I've done major sheetmetal jobs, avionics installations and paint work. I've crossed the Atlantic twice in a turboprop. I'm a commercial ASEL guy trying to get my first flying gig currently. But I'll stop before I inflate my ego anymore. I have never once pretended to be an expert, and have gone out of my way to mention if previous useless discussions with my friend Ross. I never attacked anyone on here, including Mike B. I was simply stating that you can't take everything he says so literally, as some of you clearly do. He is definitely a smart guy and he challenges the norm which isn't always a bad thing either. He provides a great service to a lot of pilots. I sure as hell am not going to try and argue technical points about red boxes, LOP vs ROP,  etc...I will leave that to you guys and I will stick to the basics. These pointless personal attacks on me here just cement why I never spend much time on here. You all spend all your time arguing back and forth over BS here while almost never providing anything useful to those of us who post looking for useful information. 

• Like 3

I'm going to break up your spat with an update.  I went flying today, but not long enough to get a reasonable fuel burn number for cruise.  Density altitude was conveniently reported as 0 on the AWOS, so I shoved all the knobs forward and set the adjustable line on my EGT.  That should be Target EGT correct?  I take it that line still be good (or close enough) regardless of the outside air temps for future flights?

Just for kicks and grins, when cruising I started leaning out the engine slowly to see when it would start running rough.  It didn't start getting rough until I was 100-125 LOP.  There was a noticeable decrease in power long before that, but no roughness.

On descent, do you enrich the mixture or just leave it until reaching TPA?  I don't need the extra HP and the engine will only get cooler as it gets leaner the further I descend.

17 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I'm going to break up your spat with an update.  I went flying today, but not long enough to get a reasonable fuel burn number for cruise.  Density altitude was conveniently reported as 0 on the AWOS, so I shoved all the knobs forward and set the adjustable line on my EGT.  That should be Target EGT correct?  I take it that line still be good (or close enough) regardless of the outside air temps for future flights. 

On descent, do you enrich the mixture or just leave it until reaching TPA?  I don't need the extra HP and the engine will only get cooler as it gets leaner the further I descend.

Yes that’s target EGT. If your CHT’s are very low on the climb out in the summer you can raise it a little, but generally 200 ROP is where target is or should be as a start. 

I don’t touch any of those knobs until I get below 3000’,  then sometimes I limit MP to 25” or richen slightly as I set power or 20” 3 miles out. If you were cruising st 15k feet then yes one small enrichment in the descent is warranted.  At the big power reduction abeam the numbers when the gear comes down, set mixture and prop for go around there. 

35 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Since people are insulting each other, let me insult ALL of you!

e1911e6f4d1d3157b74a37580f239043.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

36 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Since people are insulting each other, let me insult ALL of you!

e1911e6f4d1d3157b74a37580f239043.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that a Shar Pei?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I'm going to break up your spat with an update.  I went flying today, but not long enough to get a reasonable fuel burn number for cruise.  Density altitude was conveniently reported as 0 on the AWOS, so I shoved all the knobs forward and set the adjustable line on my EGT.  That should be Target EGT correct?  I take it that line still be good (or close enough) regardless of the outside air temps for future flights?

Just for kicks and grins, when cruising I started leaning out the engine slowly to see when it would start running rough.  It didn't start getting rough until I was 100-125 LOP.  There was a noticeable decrease in power long before that, but no roughness.

Curious what the take off EGT number was? You want to use the leanest cyl (first to peak).

I leave it lean for descent and landing.

3 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Curious what the take off EGT number was? You want to use the leanest cyl (first to peak).

I leave it lean for descent and landing.

I don't know, no numbers on the EGT gauge, but it was 7 marks below the * which is pretty close to where it normally peaks.  I can't wait to take a long enough trip to try some of this out and get an accurate fuel burn number.  

Plan is to get to cruise, switch to full tank for an hour, then switch back.  When I refill that tank, I should know my fuel burn for that altitude/RPM/MP setting.  I'll report back and let you all know what I'm getting.

• Like 1