Upgrade to J windshield

cbarnes403

3 minutes ago, daver328 said:

If I were to have a 201 windshield mod installed:

1)  Is LASAR the only one left to produce the STC mod?

2). Where do you recommend getting one installed (I’m in Georgia)?????

3)  What should the ballpark installation cost be?

... our IA has been resistant too take on that project, ... understandably so ... it gets pretty serious when you start cutting metal off the plane. 

Is Cole a good option? 

LASAR STC was the only option when done on my C model last year.  $2600 hardware plus a solid 50 hrs of labor, plus paint. I  imagine Cole has done some of these.  Mine was done at Airmods in NJ -they are no stranger to cutting metal.    I noticed the decreased noise and improved visibility much more than the speed gain  - which seems real but subtle.

5 hours ago, daver328 said:

(... our IA has been resistant to take on that project, ... understandably so ... it gets pretty serious when you start cutting metal off the plane.) 

Is Cole a good option? 

It all started with upgrading the panel and just kept going.  I was fortunate that I was able to buy the STC from Coy Jacobs and there was a M20K available for parts.  Hindsight I would probably go with the LASAR kit.  My labor (free) and hire a A&P when I need the extra hands.  And not being in a hurry to complete it helps.  

6 hours ago, daver328 said:

(... our IA has been resistant to take on that project, ... understandably so ... it gets pretty serious when you start cutting metal off the plane.) 

Is Cole a good option? 

Cole should be a good option. Lynn Mace, @AGL Aviation could do it as well. He has a lot of experience in sheet metal, painting, and plexiglass including windshields. 

57 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

The SWTA 201 windscreen mod had side access panels, too bad it's no longer available 

It's  probably the most popular mod that nearly everyone hopes JD and Laura Casteel bring back, if possible.

(Hopefully they're listening... :rolleyes:)

7 hours ago, daver328 said:

Is Cole a good option? 

40-50 hours would be reasonable labour.

Clarence

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 9:05 PM, Andy95W said:

It's  probably the most popular mod that nearly everyone hopes JD and Laura Casteel bring back, if possible.

(Hopefully they're listening... :rolleyes:)

They are at the hospital where Laura is as usual doing all the work. There should be a little Casteel any moment now.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 2:05 PM, RLCarter said:

The SWTA 201 windscreen mod had side access panels, too bad it's no longer available 

Funny thing about my plane. A previous owner back in the '90s bought and installed the SWTA 201 windshield mod and chose not to include the little access panels. They installed it as per the LASAR install. It must have been a money thing. The owner must have really preferred the LASAR mod, but the SWTA mod was cheaper.

The only real problem was, there was two little holes punched in the piece that goes from the firewall to the windshield and the people that installed it never bothered to fill them in any way. I called Russel at SWTA when he was still alive and asked him about the holes. He said they were fixture holes that were there for the manufacturing of that sheetmetal part. That sheetmetal was supposed to be removed when the access panels were fabricated and installed. 

The weird thing was, nobody since the time of install in the early '90s did anything about them! These were two holes straight through to the back of the avionics that were unfilled and the plane had even gotten repainted since then and still no filling, or plugging. When I had the panel redone and all the avionics were out, I had them finally set two neat, flush rivets there to plug the holes.

Just another weird story about my quirky '66 F. Here's what the holes used to look like-

post-1249-13468139608937_thumb.jpg

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Huh.

Most of us cool our radios with outside air rather than direct venting passing rain onto them . . . .

My plane has the SWTA windshield, thankfully. 

Mine too. The point was, they chose not to follow the plans, or instructions.