Need Davtron M800M for '67 M20C

Hello everyone.  We purchased a 1967 M20C Nov. 1,2017, and are getting to know it.   The Davtron M800M clock that is mounted in the pilot's yoke is inop.   I suspect that the second "M" in the model number is for "Mooney".  I took out the two mounting screws to look behind.  I has no backup battery and is connected by two wires to what I assume is 14VDC.   The unit displays nothing.   Looking online, the M800M in the M20C is different shaped than the M800 (no second M) currently being sold.   The one in my yoke has two mounting screws and a protuberance in the vertical direction to match the shape of the yoke, while the ones presently for sale are just square, and have holes for four mounting screws.  Does anyone here know who might fix this or have one for sale?   I want to start doing IFR training in this beast, but need a functioning clock.  Thanks.  I look forward to receiving some guidance.

Welcome aboard, FRED...

I suspect your digital clock was added after the factory delivered your plane....

Searching the web, I was unable to find an M800M. So I’m not able to tell if the last M means Mooney or not...

Davtron does seem to have airframe specific clocks...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/chronometers_davtron.html

There are a couple people you can call...

Are you familiar with the MSC system?

Want to Call Davtron...

http://www.davtron.com/product-detail.php?M800-12

Either way, you are going to need to know what voltage your electrical system runs on.

Expect that it is a 12V system using a 14v generator or alternator...

Check the wires going to your current clock.  See if it is getting power now...

The original clock in the 60’s Mooneys were mechanical wind up 8 day wonders...

Best regards,

-a-

The electrical system is 12V, with 14.1 during charge.  I am not familiar with the MSC system.  What is it?  

Photo attached.  Notice the custom tab at the top that covers the entire opening in the center of the yoke.

I'll check voltage when able and contact Davtron.

Thanks,

Fred

davtron_M800M.jpg

Hello everyone.  We purchased a 1967 M20C Nov. 1,2017, and are getting to know it.   The Davtron M800M clock that is mounted in the pilot's yoke is inop.   I suspect that the second "M" in the model number is for "Mooney".  I took out the two mounting screws to look behind.  I has no backup battery and is connected by two wires to what I assume is 14VDC.   The unit displays nothing.   Looking online, the M800M in the M20C is different shaped than the M800 (no second M) currently being sold.   The one in my yoke has two mounting screws and a protuberance in the vertical direction to match the shape of the yoke, while the ones presently for sale are just square, and have holes for four mounting screws.  Does anyone here know who might fix this or have one for sale?   I want to start doing IFR training in this beast, but need a functioning clock.  Thanks.  I look forward to receiving some guidance.

Davtron in San Diego can fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooney Service Center...

https://lasar.com/

In the event you want/need new parts or service.

There are so many clocks that fit that standard hole. It is unlikely to be a large challenge to find a replacement....

From  the latest picture... I see the standard hole has been replaced by a specialized bezel, the M800M is making more sense Now.....

It would make a lot of sense to call Davtron and seek their advice, fix, cobble together some parts, or get a replacement...

Best regards,

-a-

Just call Davtron (Phone:  (866) 369-5588) I believe the owners name is Kevin. They are remarkably customer service oriented. They will tell you the best way to replace/repair your existing clock. I just installed an M800 in the yoke of my '67F and it fits and works beautifully.

I would also take the opportunity to add battery back up and hook up the backlight.  In the pic it appears that you only have ground (black) and "keep alive" (orange) hooked up. With no back light (blue) it would be useless at night. There should be an instrument light bus-bar behind the pilot side panel. It's mounted to one of the small roll cage tubes and is very close to where the wires exit the yoke shaft. It should be an easy hook up for your A&P.

Edited by Shadrach

I don't get it.

I have a Davtron in my yoke.  It keeps decent time and has been reliable, but I just don't understand the prices for this old technolgy time piece.

Most any $5 kitchen timer has more features, a battery that will last a life time and a better display.

So, why do people still pay those incredible prices for a Davtron?  Certainly there is no paperwork reason to stay with such....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/davtron10-03334.php?clickkey=330462

On 11/28/2017 at 5:01 AM, Shadrach said:

Just call Davtron (Phone:  (866) 369-5588) I believe the owners name is Kevin. They are remarkably customer service oriented. They will tell you the best way to replace/repair your existing clock. I just installed an M800 in the yoke of my '67F and it fits and works beautifully.

I would also take the opportunity to add battery back up and hook up the backlight.  In the pic it appears that you only have ground (black) and "keep alive" (orange) hooked up. With no back light (blue) it would be useless at night. There should be an instrument light bus-bar behind the pilot side panel. It's mounted to one of the small roll cage tubes and is very close to where the wires exit the yoke shaft. It should be an easy hook up for your A&P.

Hi Shadrach.   Thanks for the experience-based advice.  I called Davtron- they asked me to send it in.  Repair will cost about $70 (est) or replacement of electronics $120 (est).  Will do when able.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 3:51 PM, Mooneymite said:

I don't get it.

I have a Davtron in my yoke.  It keeps decent time and has been reliable, but I just don't understand the prices for this old technolgy time piece.

Most any $5 kitchen timer has more features, a battery that will last a life time and a better display.

So, why do people still pay those incredible prices for a Davtron?  Certainly there is no paperwork reason to stay with such....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/davtron10-03334.php?clickkey=330462

Because the alternatives are not plug and play, do not look well finished or have the appearance of aircraft grade quality. 

I like my Davtron for the following reasons:

1) It's wired to the to ship's power via the master switch.

2) The back lighting is dimmable and wired to my panel rheostat.

3) The installation looks as though it was installed at the factory.

4) Readable in all lighting conditions.

5) While I can do the math, I like having "Universal Time" front and center.

6) Simple UI with big buttons.

All of the above being said, I would consider alternatives if they met the above criteria

Just now, Shadrach said:

Because the alternatives are not plug and play, do not look well finished or have the appearance of aircraft grade quality. 

I like my Davtron for the following reasons:

1) It's wired to the to ship's power via the master switch.

2) The back lighting is dimmable and wired to my panel rheostat.

3) The installation looks as though it was installed at the factory.

4) Readable in all lighting conditions.

5) While I can do the math, I like having "Universal Time" front and center.

6) Simple UI with big buttons.

All of the above being said, I would consider alternatives if they met the above criteria

Yep.  I agree with all that.  However, it's the price delta I just don't get.

I think there's a great opportunity for someone to offer a low cost time keeper with those features.

In the mean time, I hope my Davtron keeps working.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So- I sat in the a/c with the seller this past weekend talking about the panel.  I brought up the dead Davtron clock/timer.  He remembered there being a battery, yet there is no battery on the clock.   I unscrewed the clock bezel and pulled it off the yoke.  The seller pulled the black foam out (see photo above), and there behind it sat a dead 9V battery to which the clock power leads were connected.   One new 9V battery and the clock now works. 

• Like 1