Clock quit working

I wound it up the other day, pulled the winder out to set the time, pushed it back in and nothing.  Am I doing something wrong or does this mean it's just broken?

It's the wind-up 8 day style with red hands you can use to time.  No electrical.  Can it be replaced with a digital or does it have to be the same as original?  If it needs to be the same, where can one be found?  Or are there repair places?

I wound it up the other day, pulled the winder out to set the time, pushed it back in and nothing.  Am I doing something wrong or does this mean it's just broken?
It's the wind-up 8 day style with red hands you can use to time.  No electrical.  Can it be replaced with a digital or does it have to be the same as original?  If it needs to be the same, where can one be found?  Or are there repair places?

http://www.walthamclocks.com/phone/products.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, man, that would be awful! I really love my little 8 day windup clock with the separate red hands! It's my reminder to switch tanks when the minute hands align and my total flight timer. Plus I record the minutes when going into and out of IMC, and what time sunset happens (to record Actual IMC and Night time).

Digital just isn't the same . . . . .

45 minutes ago, Hank said:

Oh, man, that would be awful! I really love my little 8 day windup clock with the separate red hands! It's my reminder to switch tanks when the minute hands align and my total flight timer. Plus I record the minutes when going into and out of IMC, and what time sunset happens (to record Actual IMC and Night time).

Digital just isn't the same . . . . .

I like my wind up too.  Winding it is part of my pre-flight and start-up.  That, and I'm not IFR legal without it, so... 

1 hour ago, Mjknick@gmail.com said:

http://www.walthamclocks.com/phone/products.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of those look like it.  Any idea where I'd find out what it is?  Would it be listed in the logbook somewhere, like the original equipment list?  I'm not sure, my logbooks aren't with me at the moment.

Waltham makes good clocks...

But Mooney used Wakkman... for their wind up clocks...

Or so I believe... :)

So many new style clocks with additional functions and USB ports...

If you can't get the old winder to work...

I used mine to remind me to fly every eight days or less...

Best regards,

-a-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aircraft-Clock-8-day-yellow-tagged/172963066502?hash=item284566f286:g:3psAAOSw3h1ZTug8&vxp=mtr

Waltham went out of business in the early eighties. Another company bought the rights to the name and still manufactures the A13A1 aircraft clock. I think it is the finest aircraft clock ever made. It is the one with the built in stopwatch.

Check with your local instrument shop for repairs. Parts are readily  available. Your local watch repair shop is better equipped to repair it but they cannot certify it.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aircraft-Clock-8-day-yellow-tagged/172963066502?hash=item284566f286:g:3psAAOSw3h1ZTug8&vxp=mtr

Waltham went out of business in the early eighties. Another company bought the rights to the name and still manufactures the A13A1 aircraft clock. I think it is the finest aircraft clock ever made. It is the one with the built in stopwatch.

Check with your local instrument shop for repairs. Parts are readily  available. Your local watch repair shop is better equipped to repair it but they cannot certify it.

That one doesn't look quite right either.  See attached pic, it's the best I have handy.   Right under the knob on the face I can sort of make out a word that looks like it ends in 'er'.  

Would the guys at your field be able to service the clock or any specific recommendations?

Screenshot_20171127-001144.jpg

I broke the rewinding spring on mine this past summer and went to a local clock shop. The guy wanted > $200 to get it fixed without even opening the box. Being an honorary CB club member, I cannot accept this so turned back. I am waiting for a “cheaper” option. Ned says he has one option for me that I will investigate... but my favorite one would be to have it fixed for same or less than the value of the thing. If some of you know of a cheap place to fix them let me know.

Yves

I went through the same thing as Yves.  Wound up (pun intended) with two N/S clocks for the left yoke mount.  It was going to cost north of $300 to get each fixed, so I gave them to Clarence (he was having similar difficulties for the one he was putting in his RV) and I bought one of these.  http://www.asa2fly.com/Flight-Timer-2-P599.aspx

5a1ca3081f77f_ASAFlightTimerP599.jpeg.a7e8acda5ec10a4283d0ed86ad15f9b0.jpeg

Now I have a KR 87 and it comes with everything I need in a flight timer and a stopwatch.  So this one is no longer on my yoke (making room for my iPad Mini Ram Mounted Situational Awareness Device with Foreflight) and I have offered it to Yves.  Even if he had to buy one, he could still retain his membership in the CB club.

On 2017-11-27 at 6:45 PM, Ned Gravel said:

I went through the same thing as Yves.  Wound up (pun intended) with two N/S clocks for the left yoke mount.  It was going to cost north of $300 to get each fixed, so I gave them to Clarence (he was having similar difficulties for the one he was putting in his RV) and I bought one of these.  http://www.asa2fly.com/Flight-Timer-2-P599.aspx

5a1ca3081f77f_ASAFlightTimerP599.jpeg.a7e8acda5ec10a4283d0ed86ad15f9b0.jpeg

Now I have a KR 87 and it comes with everything I need in a flight timer and a stopwatch.  So this one is no longer on my yoke (making room for my iPad Mini Ram Mounted Situational Awareness Device with Foreflight) and I have offered it to Yves.  Even if he had to buy one, he could still retain his membership in the CB club.

Thanks Ned. I will make if necessary a bracket to fit this on my yoke. The price you asked for cannot be refused by any CB club honorary member!

Yves

See if your hangar elves can pull the clock and soak it in fine machine oil (sewing machine oil). I've heard that it cleans all the gunk out and lubricates such that the clock is as good as new.

Just say'in.