Family pressures?

NJMac

The group is a bit sensitive on the topic. We have lost several members from this forum and it touches us on a personal level. A few of these accidents involved relatively low time pilots;
Patrick that Byron (jetdriven) mentioned was a 250 PP who killed himself, a passenger and injured a third on a night takeoff, using a slightly uphill, short runway and took off from a taxiway. Houman was a relatively new pilot ( Others involved experience pilots. One killed heading to Mooney PPP, another on an instructional flight -- list goes on and on...
This is what you are seeing on this forum -- a morning coffee call to make sure you don't take this activity lightly and in the same context as you do when you get in your car in the morning. 
I appreciate the explanation for the contentiousness.

Probably going to ruffle a few feathers with this statement. I don't necessarily see death as the worst thing that can happen. If we're Christians, isn't it the beginning of something better? And if I have to go, I'd really like to be doing something that I enjoy at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, NJMac said:

Probably going to ruffle a few feathers with this statement. I don't necessarily see death as the worst thing that can happen. If we're Christians, isn't it the beginning of something better? And if I have to go, I'd really like to be doing something that I enjoy at the time.

yeah i'm gonna get some popcorn for the reactions to that one

• Like 2

And that is where a number of us would differ with you. I don’t want anyone saying “He died doing what he loved to do”. I much prefer “He was a crotchety old man, but man could he fly a Mooney”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 7

And that is where a number of us would differ with you. I don’t want anyone saying “He died doing what he loved to do”. I much prefer “He was a crotchety old man, but man could he fly a Mooney”.

And dont think i want to die. That's not the case. But the fear of doesnt drive me crazy with fear either.

18 minutes ago, NJMac said:

I don't necessarily see death as the worst thing that can happen. If we're Christians, isn't it the beginning of something better? And if I have to go, I'd really like to be doing something that I enjoy at the time.

No wonder the inlaws are worried about her flying with you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, NJMac said:

I was actually thinking about this just the other day. My thoughts were that perhaps I do love flying, but more than that I love living and love spending time with my family.

I think that "He died doing what he loved" is a terrible statement,  which like many other things that are said after someone has passed away are designed and meant to console those who are still alive. Really, wouldn't that person have rather still been alive spending time with those people instead of in a casket as their loved ones thought of the times they won't be spending with them? 

• Like 2

Because you're selfish enough to drag her down with you doing what you love. It's not like you offered to sacrifice yourself shopping to death!
You all keep getting hung up on the what ifs. The majority of the what ifs will be mitigated by my personal minimums, won't they?

Fear is a very good thing to have, although Im rarely scared at much the fear awakens my senses to perform whatever is necessary to mitigate what is causing it. Although dumb like landing with 20 knot crosswinds covered in ice, fear draws on all I've learned to recover from the cause even when it's my fault causing the situation. Again attempting to be as prepared as possible limits many things. Flying is risky, don't believe driving to the plane poses more total risk. 

11 minutes ago, Danb said:

Fear is a very good thing to have, although Im rarely scared at much the fear awakens my senses to perform whatever is necessary to mitigate what is causing it. Although dumb like landing with 20 knot crosswinds covered in ice, fear draws on all I've learned to recover from the cause even when it's my fault causing the situation. Again attempting to be as prepared as possible limits many things. Flying is risky, don't believe driving to the plane poses more total risk. 

Fear is like an intense understanding of what could happen wrong, but mixed in with a strong dose of emotional content and when that second part is too strong it can interfere.  So best would be the first component with only a minor dose of the second - which is easier said than done. But this is what I take by the phrase "a little fear is good".

50 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'm afraid you might be remembered for something else....  hint - those pictures you keep assaulting my eyes with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just a thought for @NJMac to kind of get back on topic- 

One thing that I think will eventually work in your favor is how often you could visit your in-laws.  Like, "well, we could visit every month over a weekend, but it's such a long drive we can only come down once or twice a year."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Having been in a pickle once or twice, wondering whether or not I was going to make it out alive, I assure you, is not enjoyable at all. And you're right being dead is not the worst thing that can happen. Surviving a crash with 80% third degree burns all over your body, or worse yet, your loved ones, is considerably worse. "I don't care if it rains or freezes as long as I have plastic Jesus riding on the dashboard of my car" is no way to go thru life.

I think the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the skill level of the pilot because we all know there are very different skill levels when it comes to aviation.  I have meet many >1000 hour pilots who I would never let any of my family members fly with and have met some 300 hour pilots who are phenomenal.  This is the same thing in any profession really.  As a surgeon I can assure you we come in many different flavors.  Again, I have worked with surgeons who have been practicing for 50 years who I would not let remove a skin tag.  On the other hand I am currently working with a cardiac surgeon who has been practicing for 5 years who I would let operate on anyone of my family members.

Sure, hours spent honing your skillset definitely matter, but they are definitely not everything.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the skill level of the pilot because we all know there are very different skill levels when it comes to aviation.  I have meet many >1000 hour pilots who I would never let any of my family members fly with and have met some 300 hour pilots who are phenomenal.  This is the same thing in any profession really.  As a surgeon I can assure you we come in many different flavors.  Again, I have worked with surgeons who have been practicing for 50 years who I would not let remove a skin tag.  On the other hand I am currently working with a cardiac surgeon who has been practicing for 5 years who I would let operate on anyone of my family members.
Sure, hours spent honing your skillset definitely matter, but they are definitely not everything.

Thanks for your thoughts. My sister is a physician and by all accounts, very talented. Her Achille’s Heal (pun attended) is that her bedside manner is right up there with Nostradamus - Soothsayer of Doom. I would never asked her for medical advice.

I have steadfastly maintained the 3C philosophy when it comes to flying. Just because I am Current doesn’t mean I am Competent to make the flight no matter how Confident I am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

No kids yet?  That is when I realized my own mortality. Before then I might have said some of the same stuff you have posted here today. There is nothing like surviving a gun fight and realizing it could have been your kids who were orphaned to make you appreciate the time we have here on earth.  

First actually serious time for me wasn't that long ago. Moving some boxes in a dumpster (so I could put another box in) behind a dining facility and finding a grenade rigged up so the next time someone moved some boxes they would catch a face full of metal. If it hadn't been rigged like shit I would've instantly lost about 20 lbs in the form of my head. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, NJMac said:

You all keep getting hung up on the what ifs. The majority of the what ifs will be mitigated by my personal minimums, won't they?

Not exactly. I had an engine failure in my airplane that had 20+ years of meticulous maintenance from some of the most reputable names in Mooney maintenance. Mine quit on takeoff at 200ft leaving one of those shops and fortunately there was a field right there that I put it down in. I had just over 800 hours total and 600 in the Mooney. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NJMac said:

I thought that religion and politics had no place on this forum, where is the management kill switch?

Clarence

9 hours ago, NJMac said:

If youre going to be a pilot, I don't think thats really the best mentality to have. Every time I get in my plane, I know there is a chace/risk that i could possibly not make it out alive, but I don't say to myself "todays an okay day to die". Going out in an airplane crash is not a pretty thing. You might end up destroying your plane, yourself, your family, and somebody elses family if you fly through their house or their car. I myself am not an experienced Pilot. I have 120 hours, started flying at 14 and got my license this year at 18. if i told the DPE on my checkride, "It's okay if I die today. Ill be going somewhere better." I doubt he would want to get in the plane, even though he has thousands of hours. I understand the risk, but saying im fine with crashing my plane into a families house, killing them all, and myself, is not a mentality of a good pilot. You should have the mentality that you will make it down in one piece, but understand the risks too.

The statement you provided above make me think resignation would apply to you from the 5 given hazardous attitude.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

You want a sobering experience? Tag along with an airplane salvage team a few times and watch the cleanup process. 

Very true.  My father retired from the FAA.  He was involved with flight safety and accident investigations.  I got to tag along on many of the accidents, most did not positive outcomes for the people onboard.

Interestingly I got my PPL as a teenager and as a <70 hr pilot I would rent a 172 and fly around the mountains of Montana, VFR, with one or two of my also teenage friends.  My parents knew and allowed it, my friends parents approved and the FBO that the plane was rented from never complained or questioned the decision.  Was I prepared for everything that could have happened, absolutely not.  Even now with extensive training and over 5200 hours in some of the most inhospitable locations in the world I know there are events or circumstances that I have not comprehended.  

• Like 1