NJMac

Family pressures?

Just now, Amelia said:

The mildly nervous but motivated passenger can be reassured, but I haven't been successful at talking truly frightened people into enjoying the ride, no matter how smooth, fast, or beautiful, the trip, or how perfect the landing. They will readily admit it was a fine trip, and they wouldn't have gotten where they needed to go any other way, but they hated every glorious second of it. The phobics impose their own terror on others, unfortunately, and seem impervious to reason.Other than putting Prozac in the municipal reservoir, I have no useful ideas.

I've had only one truly frightened passenger. Took 2 ladies from work flying at their request; it was one of them's first ever flight, and the other one's first small plane flight. The first was so nervous she had to stop and pee on the short drive to the airport. To help relax her, I let her sit in the plane in the hangar, with the big bifold door closed. She was comfortable,  but when I pushed the airplane door closed, I  thought she was gonna freak out!

When we took off, I raised the gear and asked how she was doing, with a reminder that I could be back on the ground in 3 minutes. With a look of wonder on her face, she said No, this is great! So we had a nice time flightseeing all over. He husband became my home AC guy. Took the other one, her husband and my wife to dinner the next county over. Left after work, came back after dark, a magical experience for them.

Don't push, just show up several times in a rental car. Being able to pop over and back much more often than you can make the laborious long-weekend-only drive will help them to see the bright side. Good luck with them! 

• Like 2

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

30 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

If you have some free time, give me a call. I'll buy coffee, lunch or dinner.

wilco

My husband's opera-buff partner had tix for four to see Pavarotti and the Met on tour in Cleveland. Alas, he ran late at the office, they had a sitter issue, and there was no way we could make an 8:00 curtain time driving. Those seats were dear, too.  I offered to fly us up to KBKL, a three-block walk from the venue. We took off at 7:30 into a glorious sunset, greased the landing at Lakefront just as the lights were coming on, breathlessly settled into our seats five minutes before curtain time. It was a magnificent performance, followed by a good after-theater supper. Every star in the galaxy was twinkling as we climbed in the plane to go home, 70 miles south, severe clear and glassy smooth  the whole way.. Three of us couldn't stop grinning at the wonder of it all. The fourth swore it was the most horrible experience of her life. Her eyes were shut tight most of the way. Go figger.

• Like 5

Could be Cleveland...

Last time I flew there was with Alan and Chris.  My eyes were closed for a good portion of the flight too...

Asleep in the back of a V tail bonanzer... what a horrible experience... I was fighting the tail wag to stay awake...  :)

Memories of a Mooney fly-in gone wild.

Cleveland is a great city with the RRHoF an ordinary walking distance away.

That would have been about 20 hours of driving, round trip.  It was an impromptu decision after Mooney lunch at  Brett's.  

Flying generates great memories.  Easy to recall, too...

Best regards,

-a-

Thought I'd bring this back up. Finally have my MIL on my side.  Getting to make the trip to CTJ this weekend. Amazing what 200 more hours and an IR does to the family's chill factor.  

• Like 4

On 11/26/2017 at 12:00 AM, 201er said:

At the risk of being a party pooper I think the inlaws might be right this time. At 70 hours you haven't even had the chance to reach the apex of the statistical danger curve. You are not experienced enough to judge if you are experienced enough. With more experience you'll understand that. You'll also look back and say, wow I can't believe how inexperienced and confident i used to be and what risk i put my passengers in. 

The more argumentative/defensive you get about your flying only the more inexperienced it makes you look. I think most of the experienced pilots I know would be less reluctant to scrap a flight if necessary. The ability to be indifferent or at least less enthusiastic about the necessity of making a flight makes us better pilots. Gettheritis comes from the other side. 

Personally, I would suggest doing 200-500 hours of airplane flying and get an instrument rating before worrying about convincing people of your qualifications. When you're genuinely qualified, you won't have to. Then if the in laws are still grumbling, then they're being unreasonable.

^

E56541F3-2FE2-4C88-A271-1E36BADDE78E.gif.0fcf5948e90c1494acd13c87a45dbae7.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NJMac said:

@201er yes, you did.  Well done. I didnt know what I didn't know. 

And you still don’t. Then again neither do I. What comes with experience isn’t just having less not knowing but also growing an awareness and caution of the things you do not know.

• Like 3

How did 201er get so wise in just a short amount of time..?

Must have a strong family... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Maybe it was those fancy new seats that got them to go flying with you... ;)

• Like 1