Aviation App Update Download Times

KLRDMD

Every month I update the data on my apps on my iPads. Since I fly with two iPads it takes a while. I thought I would time it today to see how long each app took to update. To the best of my knowledge I have about the same areas and the same information chosen to download on each app (western US, VFR, IFR & Jet). My Internet connection isn't the fastest. They took:

Wing X Pro 87 minutes
FltPlan Go  26 minutes
AeroVie 15 minutes
Fly Q 3 minutes
Avidyne 2 minutes

Just now, Hector said:

I have not timed Foreflight but I would guess probably around 10 minutes. I have the pro version with VFR/IFR

Keep in mind, my Internet is  S L O W.  

Personally I don't like and won't use ForeFlight but others like it. Most of the people I've talked to that are using ForeFlight were told to use it by someone and have never tried another app, but obviously that doesn't apply to everyone.

I'm liking AeroVie more and more and am trying to make it my "go to" app. But Fly Q has some interesting things and will improve even more next week with the release of version 3.0. And for free, FltPlan GO is an absolutely amazing product and continuing to improve.

I recommend you try them all and see what you truly like best.

Disclaimer: I am a CFI and WingX and AeroVie are free for flight instructors and FlyQ is greatly discounted. Of course FltPlan GO is free for everyone. I have no idea if ForeFlight gives a discount to flight instructors.

• Like 1

I’ve never timed it, but Garmin Pilot takes forever.  I’m on google fiber, so my connection speed is not the issue.  It’s either the server bandwidth or the install time.  The app in general is very sluggish...so I’m considering going back to foreflight once my subscription expires.

39 minutes ago, aggiepilot04 said:

I’ve never timed it, but Garmin Pilot takes forever.  I’m on google fiber, so my connection speed is not the issue.  It’s either the server bandwidth or the install time.  The app in general is very sluggish...so I’m considering going back to foreflight once my subscription expires.

Try  FltPlan GO, it is free and very, very good.

• Like 2

Keep in mind, my Internet is  S L O W.  
Personally I don't like and won't use ForeFlight but others like it. Most of the people I've talked to that are using ForeFlight were told to use it by someone and have never tried another app, but obviously that doesn't apply to everyone.
I'm liking AeroVie more and more and am trying to make it my "go to" app. But Fly Q has some interesting things and will improve even more next week with the release of version 3.0. And for free, FltPlan GO is an absolutely amazing product and continuing to improve.
I recommend you try them all and see what you truly like best.
Disclaimer: I am a CFI and WingX and AeroVie are free for flight instructors and FlyQ is greatly discounted. Of course FltPlan GO is free for everyone. I have no idea if ForeFlight gives a discount to flight instructors.

I’m sure it’s a matter of personal preference and most of these apps probably offer decent functionality. I’ve been using ForeFlight since it came out and I’m proficient in its use under all conditions. I tried FlyQ for a bit and it was fine but went back to Foreflight which I like better. I’m looking at a panel upgrade in the future and will want an app that can talk to the new boxes. I know Foreflight and Garmin apps will do that but not sure about the others. If Apple discontinues the Mini I may give Garmin a try so I can keep using a small tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What one has used long enough to become very familiar with its flow and (even minor) feature differences, will usually continue to be the "best" for them. I have a dozen EFBs (some are duplicates because they run on both iOS and Android). Yet, I continue to use the one I’ve used for almost 7 years and will likely continue to subscribe as long as I fly IFR (although I am as close to switching now as I’ve ever been).

interesting about the download times. Like others, I start a download when I am not going to use my tablet, and put it aside. So I’ve never bothered to time it and am not personally curious enough to check.

9 hours ago, Hector said:

I’m sure it’s a matter of personal preference and most of these apps probably offer decent functionality. I’ve been using ForeFlight since it came out and I’m proficient in its use under all conditions. I tried FlyQ for a bit and it was fine but went back to Foreflight which I like better. I’m looking at a panel upgrade in the future and will want an app that can talk to the new boxes. I know Foreflight and Garmin apps will do that but not sure about the others. If Apple discontinues the Mini I may give Garmin a try so I can keep using a small tablet.

The Garmin android app doesn’t have all of the same planning features as the iOS app.  Make sure you research that first.  I tried to switch to Android and found myself back on iOS for that reason.

I have both FltPln Go and Avare on my big tablet, and Avare seems to update much faster than FltPln Go.   Both are free and between the two I'm liking Avare a lot better, although FltPln Go has some nice features.   Got sick of some issues with it, though, so it's just my backup s/w load for now.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 9:44 PM, Hector said:

If Apple discontinues the Mini I may give Garmin a try so I can keep using a small tablet.

I waited months hoping Apple would announce a new mini. Finally bought a mini 4 a few months ago (my 3rd mini) so I had a new cockpit backup.  My mini 1 now stays at the office to accept credit card payments. New rumor is that Apple will make an iPhone X Plus with 6.5 inch screen, which is getting darn close to mini 4 size

I waited months hoping Apple would announce a new mini. Finally bought a mini 4 a few months ago (my 3rd mini) so I had a new cockpit backup.  My mini 1 now stays at the office to accept credit card payments. New rumor is that Apple will make an iPhone X Plus with 6.5 inch screen, which is getting darn close to mini 4 size

A 6.5 inch iPhone X could work. I went to Best Buy on Black Friday to see if I could get the iPad mini 4 128 Gbyte for $275 but of course they were sold out. The salesperson there said Apple was working on a smaller iPad Pro (smaller than the 10.5 inch model). However, that is a rumor I have not heard before anywhere so I think he might have been making it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an iPhone X 256 and an iPad Mini. I also have ForeFlight (pro) and Garmin Pilot. I use the two devices to backup each other. I use GP on my phone to keep my GTN up-to-date in the panel, still on the 12mnth free trial. I also love how I can push (and auto sync pull) flight plans to the panel from either device - FlightStream.

Yes, I have tried the others but nothing is polished as these two. 

Downloads are automatic (new feature) and don’t notice them downloading b/c they are always up-to-date.