BatteryMinder Airframe Interface Kit installation

Rick Junkin

With all of the posts I've been reading over the last couple of years about battery life, I took action to maintain my batteries as best I could. The batteries in my airplane were installed in 2014 and are still going strong, verified again at this year's annual, and I credit that to consistent use of my BatteryMinder. But it was a pain to hook up, and I wanted something easier.

Here's the installation I implemented for my BatteryMinder connections, inspired by Don Kaye's installation in his O2 filler port door. I went in through the TKS filler port door, which provided a very convenient place to cleanly mount a BatteryMinder Airframe Interface Kit connector for each battery. With the "Y" connector for the BatteryMinder, I can connect to both batteries simultaneously for a continuous maintenance charge and desulfation. Or I can charge each battery individually to get them both evenly topped off before putting them on a simultaneous maintenance charge, as recommended in the BatteryMinder documentation.

Openning up the TKS filler port door and plugging in is a heck of a lot more convenient than what I've been doing, which required removing the left battery access panel, reaching in to pull back the boots on all four battery terminals and connecting the battery terminal clips to the terminals. Then removing the clips, putting the boots back in place, and replacing the access panel. Plus it saves me a fair amount of time, and has the look of an OEM installation (thanks to Tom, the world's greatest A&P I/A who transformed my idea into the finished product).

My hope is that this inspires ideas for others thinking about doing something similar. What have other folks done?

Cheers,
Rick

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Edited by Junkman
added detail
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’ve been using the same install for about a decade. It works well and is very convenient.  My connectors are missing the fancy rubber covers but I’ve never had a problem.  My charger stand has a sign on it showing what battery was charged last. I also have a foot switch with a led nightlight wired in to make sure the charger is off when I attach it but I don’t forget to turn it on (it drains the battery if the power is off).  I prefer one charger to one battery combo. 

@carusoam Anthony, after our NJMooney's luncheon at KOXC today Rob Takacs showed us his gorgeous E model (and its "autolean" capability. It had the minder plugged in via a little space next to the ground power plugs. I'll be asking my A&P soon how we can do this :) For us Ovation drivers it isn't quite as simple as the batteries are well aft of the ground power door (I think, have to double check that) but I expect it shouldn't be that hard to get the wiring to extend back to the battery from that location.

-Robert

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1452.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, carusoam said:

It is good to have Rob Takacs on board! :)

The Battery Minder guys have a few options for plugs and extensions as well...

The ground power door makes the most sense.

Best regards,

-a-

Let me know if you guys need help, you are not far away.  It’s a quick install and a log entry.  Be sure to add a fuse near the battery end of the wire, just in case.

1 hour ago, takair said:

Let me know if you guys need help, you are not far away.  It’s a quick install and a log entry.  Be sure to add a fuse near the battery end of the wire, just in case.

Thanks Rob!

I'm going into annual in the next couple of weeks or so. This will be one of the things covered at that time...

Best regards,

-a-