Sad day for Lancair Turbine Owners

I found out this afternoon the GURU of Lancair Turbine airplanes died this weekend from brain tumor/ cancer.   John Cook, my engine builder, Lancair building mentor, test pilot and flight instructor passed on Saturday, leaving a huge hole of experience and knowledge of Walters Engines in Lancair's.  I doubt any other aviator could have left me with more knowledge and wise judgment in flying this very challenging airplane.  I spent 15 hours with John in transition training last fall/winter.  And that was after 2 intense days of inspections prepping for first flight and a pile of time working through build issues and my engine build before that.

RIP John.   I will always hear you squawking in my ear to "keep the ball centered" as I fly my Lancair Turbine until the day I retire my wings!!!!  This loss is nearly as tough as my fathers two years ago. 

Tom

• Sad 4

Tom, 

So sorry to hear of this loss.  That was a fine tribute.  Men such as these are NEVER replaced.  I feel your loss.  How fortunate you must feel to have been able to absorb some of his wisdom.

I will say a quiet toast to him at our families Thanksgiving celebration.  I am certain you are thankful to have shared some life with John.  May he live on in your minds eye.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss, Tom. Clearly, Mr. Cook had a positive effect on you that went beyond getting that Lancair squared up to fly and you ready to fly it. Those kind of opportunities are priceless aren’t they? Something truly to be thankful for as they just don’t happen often. I’m fairly certain that, knowing what I know about you and your level of outreach to others in the Northwoods, you are already someone’s “John Cook”. Carry that torch proudly, Sir.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I flew down to Florida for the service for John.  I stopped at KOSU (Ohio State University airport) to pick up a fellow Lancair builder on Friday and dropped him off this morning on the way back to the U.P.  We stayed at my Spruce Creek home and flew over to Deland on Saturday morning for the service.  Had a student pilot pull on to the runway, just after announcing I was on short final.  I called immediately telling him I was on short final, expecting he would stop and let me land.........Nope, he slowed for a second and fire-walled his 172, expecting he would "beat me out".  He wasn't 100' down the runway when I flew over him at 125 knots climbing back out on an aborted landing.  I LOVE flying in Florida!!

Anyway, only one other turbine Lancair showed, and looked pretty sweet.  The owner came over later as he was about to leave, shook my hand and introduced himself (he was a good friend of John's).  Bill Elliot, the retired NASCAR driver.  Took a shot of him in the plane just before he closed the door and left.  Got to be a pretty stand up guy to fly down for John's service!

Tom

December 3, 2017 012.JPG

• Like 1