Insurance and BasicMed

Cruiser

7 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

I am curious now that BasicMed is six months old and thousands of pilots have completed this process are there any experiences with insurance companies and claims ?

Does anyone know of an insurance claim that ran into difficulty because the pilot was using BasicMed ?

Haven't heard, but I imagine it will not happen.  The insurance companies would need to argue you had an incident because of a medical condition, and to do that, they would need to obtain your medical records, which are confidential.  The only way they might be discoverable is if a third party sued you (but then you presumably have a different problem).

The time to figure out the issue is not when a claim happens.

If your policy wording doesn't allow for BasicMed, get this straightened out with your insurance agent.

That said, I think most situations & insurance policies allow for pilots to be covered while flying under BasicMed.  I know some policies require pilots exceeding certain age limitations to go get a 3rd class medical every year.  Please check your policy wording and talk to your insurance agent for clarification if you are unsure.