WTB Wing Tips

201guy

There was a guy at the MooneySummit this year showing some aftermarket wing tips that looked amazing. Surely someone has the contact details here. I've got good tips on my K, but am still interested in swapping them out. They were absolutely beautiful.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yep, those are the ones.  As I recall, they have them ready to order for the J, but not the K. I was able to show that the tips are exactly the same and they should fit the K as well. JD at SWTA is working on the process to get them approved for my K.

Keep us posted on how this goes.

9 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Keep us posted on how this goes.

It's not going very fast... I  have a long list of upgrades I'd like to do to my 252. I keep telling myself its my last plane and therefore I can do to it what I want. I'm just trying to be smart about the order and pace of upgrades. 

Wingtips will be towards the end but obviously before paint. It's also put the brakes on the rush to go all LED's.

I got this answer below from Aveo a couple of days ago - seemingly the testing is happening in Kerrville - timeline unknown for the moment

Re: Crystal Conforma for Mooney (No subject)

CN

Christian Nielsen <christian@aveoengin****.com>

Reply|

Thu 11/16, 1:04 PM

You

...That is European release, we do not need to inspire much confidence other than the product specs for Europeans sir. :)

When it will be released in USA it will be shown on Aveo Florida website (and the main European Aveo page with that announcement) with the MOD Approval as accepted by the FAA, in the meantime it is in testing at the Mooney factory in Texas.

Christian

On Nov 16, 2017, at 1:58 PM, aidan boyce <aboyce97@hotmail.com> wrote:

Your website states that this product has been released however I cannot find information about pricing, where to buy, lead times etc - as a product announcement it does not inspire a lot of confidence.

Aidan Boyce

10 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

It's not going very fast... I  have a long list of upgrades I'd like to do to my 252. I keep telling myself its my last plane and therefore I can do to it what I want. I'm just trying to be smart about the order and pace of upgrades. 

Wingtips will be towards the end but obviously before paint. It's also put the brakes on the rush to go all LED's.

I've got wingtips on mine, and I added LEDs last year.  Looks great, but OMG, these wingtips are beautiful.  

Those Aveo tips look gorgeous.   I'm curious whether people installing wingtips will find any change in control feel.  My LASAR wingtips were installed before I bought my plane so I have no direct comparison, but entering a bank does feel more crisp in my plane than the two similar old birds that I've flown.  

11 hours ago, Hector said:

I wonder if there will be any performance improvement in term of speed. Induced drag should improve for the older aircraft with the flat tips I would imagine. Maybe 1-2 knots? One can only dream

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the other hand, parasite drag will increase a bit.  Might add just a tad of weight too.  Give a little, take a little.  Probably not a lot of difference.  But it will look great.

On the other hand, parasite drag will increase a bit.  Might add just a tad of weight too.  Give a little, take a little.  Probably not a lot of difference.  But it will look great.

Yes, they do look great. I saw them at the Mooney Summit and they look really nice and the price at 2500 was actually less than expected. Those flat wing tips in my bird don’t look nice at all. These would improve the look, provide nice LED strobes, and if we get any performance increase then that’s just extra gravy. I asked if they had done any testing and could share some numbers, but they were just in the process of doing just that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I put the LASAR wingtips on my first M20C.  No performance change whatsoever, but they do look nice.  I've been told since then that anything under about 250 knots wingtips just don't make much difference.

I won't put them on my current Mooney.  As I've gotten older, I guess I've grown to appreciate the classic look.