Yoke upgrade

MICKEY

I have a M20F 67 with a jbar and an stec 60 A/p. I was thinking of upgrading my yoke as the Ptt is closer than electric trim on the left YOKE. Any recommendations? Prefer the newer yokes.   With a change in electric trim placement, a/p disconnect, and ptt I assume it's a 337?

Any advice would be helpful. 

Thanks MICKEY

IMG951130.3gp

Edited by MICKEY

No 337 required because they are all factory parts for the upgraded yokes.  They are also available with upgraded yoke shafts to end a 500 hour recurring AD on yoke shaft cracking.

Since they are factory parts, it's just a logbook entry.  Arranging the switches is a minor alteration to what you already have, so also just a logbook entry.

$$$ but easy paperwork.

Modern Mooney yokes are big $$ and like stated above get rid of the AD and is a pretty simple log entry. I like the feel and will probably bite the bullet one day on them. 

Someone correct me if I have read you have to replace the rods the yokes mount on because the drilled holes are drilled opposite the way the old ones are drilled?? 

Be careful shopping for the shafts. They are often specific to the model. I think I've got a set of shafts for a J? I'll have to check.

If you can find the yokes you like, Aerocomfort in San Antonio will cover them in leather and make them like new for $600 a pair I believe. I've had Aerocomfort do the yokes in both of my Mooneys. They are the best at it.

• Like 1

I'm sure you can buy current production yokes new from Mooney thru a service center, but you'll probably faint over the price. Best to scrounge the internet looking for planes getting parted out. Years ago I sold some 201 times and shafts for $750/set. Just one data point...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Two ways of doing this:

1 Using your existing shaft will need to be drilled to accommodate the thicker yokes because the holes will be positioned in the wrong location.

or

2 Change out the shaft to 201 or newer and you can use thicker yokes with the new shaft, but the WHOLE linkage,  connecting rods and hardware under the dash will also need to be changed out to do it correctly.. A lot of money and labor.

Older birds C, E, Fs all have a certain shaft drilled one way. The J started with a different shaft and had holes drilled the opposite way. They also look similar, however, the connecting tabs are at a different angle on each.

It's a big expensive project, but the outcome is nice. Having Hector cover your existing would be the easiest way to upgrade, but you still have the thinner grip.

I prefer the thicker grip of the new yokes.

Good luck,

-Tom 

When I upgraded the yokes on my C, I bought some Aerocomfort wrapped Ovation style yokes right here on MooneySpace. The I bought the correct shafts eliminating the AD, from Mooney. I think the costs were $1300 each for the shafts, $1200 for the yokes with shafts that I sold. Rewiring and installation $400. After a year of enjoying the new yokes and never regretting a minute of it, I sold the C and bought the K.

The K had nice yokes but just painted white. Aerocomfort turned them into brand new black leather wrapped and padded yokes for $600. The avionics shop wired and installed them for free. They wanted to use my new panel in their advertising and didn't want the old yokes ruining the pictures. So if I paid the Aerocomfort bill, they'd do the wiring and install for free.

Certain things in an airplane are used all the time and to me, those are the most important things to upgrade or "do right". I'd rather have nice yokes than nice paint. You spend every minute of every flight either looking at the yoke or holding it. I only see the paint job when the plane comes out of the hangar and goes back in.

• Thanks 1

I got my upgraded 201 style yokes on EBay from Greeley, CO.  I won bid at $75 bucks with shafts...

Stole ‘em.

There are deals to be had if you are patient.

I powder-coated mine.  Some day the plunge to the aero-comfort yokes will be taken.  For now a tennis racket grip on the left pilot yoke for my sweaty summer paws...

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I upgraded tMy 1953 C-170 yokes and pitted shafts with a brand new, still in the box pair of 172 yokes. Cessna wanted north of $1,800 for each shaft. After I threw up I measured the size, thickness and length of the shafts then went to Granger Metal supplies and bought 1 six foot stainless shaft and made 4 shafts of the exact length 17.25” if I remember correctly, drilled the new holes and with shipping paid $77.00. I still have 2 more shafts. Wondering if I can find a low flying pidgin who would pay $3,600 for the other 2 shafts…a project that wasn’t that difficult