What is this device in the tail?

Looks like some form of impact detection.

Note the white line indicating the neutral position.

It looks like it can move forwards in the event of an sudden stop...

It May Record wild T/O accelerations too?

Where does the wire go? Does your log book indicate a newish accident reporting mechanism / ELT?

Best regards,

-a-

8 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Looks like some form of impact detection.

Note the white line indicating the neutral position.

It looks like it can move forwards in the event of an sudden stop...

It May Record wild T/O accelerations too?

Where does the wire go? Does your log book indicate a newish accident reporting mechanism / ELT?

Best regards,

-a-

I have an elt, I'll check to see if this is wired to that.  No other devices besides that that I can think of.   

Just now, RLCarter said:

It's part of the Brittian auto pilot

I do have an auto pilot bit its only the wing leveler (track a vor, or bug).  ZThis looks like it would be for pitch, I'll send an email to brittain.  I would love to get alt hold from bittian.  

I've been on the hunt for things to take out and wires to get rid of, there is alot of abandoned wiring.  I need to get my servos serviced, they are cheap from brittain, so I'm going to fix the autopilot, seems like one of the cheapest systems to maintain.  Thanks for the info, glad, I didn't rip her out!

32 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

Brittain magnetic heading sensor 

10 hours ago, RLCarter said:

BI-201 Magnetic Heading Sensor

BI-201 Magnetic Heading Sensor
42 / 62

12 minutes ago, Grandmas Flying Couch said:

I've been on the hunt for things to take out and wires to get rid of, there is alot of abandoned wiring.  I need to get my servos serviced, they are cheap from brittain, so I'm going to fix the autopilot, seems like one of the cheapest systems to maintain.  Thanks for the info, glad, I didn't rip her out!

Wires are my big issue, I've pulled a bunch out that was cut dead on one or both ends. Brittian's website has a Mooney section and they sent me a bunch of documents to get things figured out, just haven't done it yet

Just now, RLCarter said:

Wires are my big issue, I've pulled a bunch out that was cut dead on one or both ends. Brittian's website has a Mooney section and they sent me a bunch of documents to get things figured out, just haven't done it yet

My IA and I are going to measure all the dead crap I take out and possibly modify weight and balance, so I have room to get 5lbs fatter.  My plane has 1005 lbs useful, so not too bad.  It came from factory with something like 1050.  Oxygen system is from 1968 so I would like to remove it, I can't find tank or record of it being removed, so that might be a bumb in useful right there.  

8 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

As long as you don't reweigh it. :)

-Robert

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

The IA offered me his scales....  Have not taken him up yet.  

I'm redoing mine. Last weigh in from Aug 2000 was 1,001lbs useful. I cannot find the W&B when they upgraded to the 3-blade in 2005. I fully expect to lose 40lbs useful here in a week.

My plane was never weighed, factory had a list of equipment and went from there.  If my mechanic updates weight at balance by subtracting weight at the correct stations, it's all bonus useful.  I don't want to re-weigh it as the little things add up to probably 25 lbs of crap.  

10 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

As long as you don't reweigh it. :)

-Robert

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

The IA offered me his scales....  Have not taken him up yet.  

Lol, don't use his scales unless you recently removed a BUNCH of stuff.