Crazy annual (paranoia)

JKSmith

I hope everyone has had a great flying season! I hate that my crazy schedule has hindered my communications with everyone Facebook has been my go to for a while  (Facebook mooney club). 

Ive put 107 hours on my bird since last annual and this annual has been crazy. So far we've rebuilt the Main gear, and replace the nose gear truss and steering links along with all new shock discs. New brake calipers, and oh may I mention a engine over haul by Zephyr (I really like those guys). My mechanics jokingly call there selves rotorcraft mechanics since they find every little thing but now the one thing that worries me is the SB-m20-208b corrosion inspection! Surely something would have been found by now I mean darn! They strip the plane apart and have never mentioned anything out of the ordinary corrosion wise and I've had the fuselage corrosion-X'd and looked at and once again nothing. 

I may be crazy, but after this annual I am just waiting for some more bad news!! What do y'all think? 

Btw I love my A&P/IA they are way to thorough and would never doubt there skills. They want there money and don't mind digging for it lol 

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Have you taken the panels off in the interior ?

This is where the roll cage tube's health is exposed, along with a couple old seals and rubber tube bits hide.

Good luck finishing the annual.

Best regards,

-a-

Yes sir, that is something that I have seen and assisted with removing. 

Im ready to have my girl back, it feels good to have all this stuff fixed and a engine that my IA can't gripe about for a while. 

• Like 1

Wow, I'd be more worried about the belly panels getting rolled over and creased by the creeper than finding corrosion. Don't they have panel racks? moving blankets work well too. 

Looks like you'll have a good machine soon!!

-Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Sounds like you are taking good care of your charge.  Breathe a sign of relief that they found no corrosion and keep up the good work.

18 minutes ago, MB65E said:

Wow, I'd be more worried about the belly panels getting rolled over and creased by the creeper than finding corrosion. Don't they have panel racks? moving blankets work well too. 

Looks like you'll have a good machine soon!!

-Matt

Thankyou! It has been a stressful experince, at the end of it all I will have a new better established confidence in my ole girl. 

We had just removed the panels and was in the process of storing them but very happy they haven't found anything corrosion wise because what they have found which was small crap has been taken care of 

9 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'll be doing the same here shortly. How bad were the old calipers?

They could have been re sealed, and looking back I would have re sealed them for the savings. But I went with new so that it would be a quick, and "new" part replacement. I also done it myself.  

Overhauls especially unexpected sure do break your heart. I seriously lost some sleep and worried a lot. So don't stress over the small stuff, from what I've seen on Facebook your bird is in good hands 

• Like 1

As long as your wallet is open they'll keep finding stuff. Its up to you to decide if you want to rebuild the plane from prop to tail every year or if you wait to replace things until they really need replacing. Its pretty easy to convince new owner to replace almost anything before it needs it.

-Robert

The roll cage can rust from badly sealed side windows but if you take the side panels off on the inside and then spray water on the outside of the windows you'll find any leaks even if the tubing has not rusted yet. Just a little check to make sure they don't leak. 

Also the SB calls for looking inside the lower rear tubing through the lower bolts for internal rust in the lower tubing. Its not hard and its peace of mind. 

Don't forget to change out BOTH orings in each fuel cap and check the adjustment of same to keep water out! I do it every year on mine. 

How old are the flexible hoses to your brake cylinders? Are they still flexible? These are often over looked. 

Check the age of the hoses to your oil cooler also. They get stiff and old after about 7 years. Your A&P can make new ones right in shop. I also put fire shield over my oil cooler hoses. Tends to keep them flexible a lot longer. 

Hope the new engine is everything you are expecting. Break it in as recommended by Zephyr. 

Let us know how it goes.

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

While you have the engine off are they going to flush or overhaul the oil cooler?  Also I’d have them replace the four bolts that hold the engine mount to the airframe.

Clarence

Yes, flushed the prop and oil cooler along with any associated lines. We're replacing the engine mount bolts and the lord engine pads. Figured while it was off to go ahead and do it. 

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

The roll cage can rust from badly sealed side windows but if you take the side panels off on the inside and then spray water on the outside of the windows you'll find any leaks even if the tubing has not rusted yet. Just a little check to make sure they don't leak. 

Also the SB calls for looking inside the lower rear tubing through the lower bolts for internal rust in the lower tubing. Its not hard and its peace of mind. 

Don't forget to change out BOTH orings in each fuel cap and check the adjustment of same to keep water out! I do it every year on mine. 

How old are the flexible hoses to your brake cylinders? Are they still flexible? These are often over looked. 

Check the age of the hoses to your oil cooler also. They get stiff and old after about 7 years. Your A&P can make new ones right in shop. I also put fire shield over my oil cooler hoses. Tends to keep them flexible a lot longer. 

Hope the new engine is everything you are expecting. Break it in as recommended by Zephyr. 

Let us know how it goes.

I installed those nice blue o-rings. Windows are sealed good, even tho it was a Florida plane till the early 90's i credit her decent health to being well covered and hangerd. 

All hoses will be replaced as the boss recommended it. The fire shield sounds like a good idea I may take your knowledge and apply that. May help with some temps as well. 

I've heard a lot of good with Zephyr and L.J. Has been a good friend with my engine. He's he boss and knows what's best according to my engine and his advice will be well followed. It's to expensive not to listen to him lol 

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

While you have the engine off are they going to flush or overhaul the oil cooler?  Also I’d have them replace the four bolts that hold the engine mount to the airframe.

Clarence

It’s amazing how small the bolts are that secure the mount to the frame. 

-Robert

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I got my baby back yesterday y'all. After a lot of time and money spend she's back In the air. Fresh overhaul by Zephyr engines, and a lot of oddball airframe work has really made a extreme difference to my Mooney! I'm happy to be back in action! Now it's time for the break in period, I've been going by zephyrs recommendations and hopefully will be finished breaking it in here in a week or so 

IMG_1184.JPG

• Like 6

Break in flights are a blast.  If you can, Bring a copilot that likes looking at instrumentation for a while....

Low altitude, high power ops aren't dangerous.  You just want a lot of warning if something isn't going well with the engine... the extra pair of eyes would be good.

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/31/2018 at 2:32 PM, JKSmith said:

I got my baby back yesterday y'all. After a lot of time and money spend she's back In the air. Fresh overhaul by Zephyr engines, and a lot of oddball airframe work has really made a extreme difference to my Mooney! I'm happy to be back in action! Now it's time for the break in period, I've been going by zephyrs recommendations and hopefully will be finished breaking it in here in a week or so 

I'd be interested in knowing what their break-in procedure is if you don't mind.

On 11/20/2017 at 11:08 PM, JKSmith said:

All hoses will be replaced as the boss recommended it. The fire shield sounds like a good idea I may take your knowledge and apply that. May help with some temps as well. 

Brown silicone fire sleeved hoses from http://www.aircrafthose.com/

the hoses take up less space than traditional with fire sleeve.  way easier to work with.

PHT hose in Tulsa also makes them. Interesting for E, F, and early J models, that fuel pressure line forward of the firewall is AN-3 size. Aeroquip doesn’t make it but Parker does. 

Edited by jetdriven