Mooney 231 intercoolers

Av-Mech

Mooniacs,

I am in a position to bring the Airflow Systems STC'd Mooney 231 intercooler kit back on the market. Before I do so I need some feedback on the number of owners really interested in owning that upgrade. 

The STC will cost less than the competition and its install time is much less with no painting required. 

Thanks for the feedback

I have been waiting for this for a couple of years. I even tried to get a bunch of people together.  What I learned is that there was always a moving target of 5,6,7 ... of orders to get production started. It never materialized...

I finally decided for Turboplus and the kit is on the way right now.

Sorry you couldn't get the kit you really wanted. I am working to make sure that others don't run into the same problem you did. 

There is a solid target right now of 10 committed buyers. With that I will be able to not only provide high quality intercoolers that are proven more efficient and also with a greatly simplified installation time but also have kits on the shelf ready for delivery. 

Welcome aboard Av-Mech...

have you seen the competition around here lately?

Turbo-Plus has been selling and installing new kits for a while.

As a pilot, I enjoy supplier competition.

Hopefully you have something that is better and lower in cost for Mooney pilots and owners...

You might want to introduce yourself and explain what you have.

Also recognize that there is a good area for commercial discussion on this website...  listed under parts for sale or something like that.  It is easy to annoy a couple of people that may not be interested in your commercial enterprise...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Av-Mech...

have you seen the competition around here lately?

Turbo-Plus has been selling and installing new kits for a while.

As a pilot, I enjoy supplier competition.

Hopefully you have something that is better and lower in cost for Mooney pilots and owners...

You might want to introduce yourself and explain what you have.

Also recognize that there is a good area for commercial discussion on this website...  listed under parts for sale or something like that.  It is easy to annoy a couple of people that may not be interested in your commercial enterprise...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I am the owner of Av-Mech LLC, a full service GA maintenance facility located in Leesburg FL.  I have been close friends with the Owner of Airflow Systems for many years.  The time has come where the owner has decided to retire and he and I have been looking at ways to bring back his STC with a new owner.  That would be me.  

The original manufacturer of the Airflow Systems STC sold them for a while and did very well with his kit.  He is more of a developer than a sales guy and so he eventually got busy designing other products.  He did not continue to market the system and so interest was low and sales slumped.  During his peak with the STC, Aviation Consumer magazine rated the Airflow Systems STC the best Intercooler kit for the Mooney 231.  It provides better demonstrated performance than the Turbo Plus STC and it installs much quicker with no paint work required.  My intention is to bring the STC back on the market following some basic market surveys.  I need to determine if there is actually a desire and if those who desire are truly willing to buy.  It is quite expensive to get this back on the market and like any business I need to establish wether my investment is likely to provide and ROI.

The kit today will be brought out at a lower price than Turbo Plus and the cost for install is much lower.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Av-mech,

Do you have any date to show Airflow CDT delta T over TurboPlus?  I am planing on adding the TurboPlus intercooler when I overhaul based on availability and customer support.  I still have sometime to make a decision so I am open to your input  

Jim

• 1 month later...

I was offered the Mooney Airflow intercooler STC in July 2017, but turned it down. Visit our Turboplus website and see the difference.  www.Turboplus.com

We are shipping Turboplus Mooney intercooler kits right now, call for MooneySpace special pricing.  We ship worldwide.  FIVE YEAR WARRANTY

Jeff Shapiro, Owner

Turboplus Aircraft Systems.

Mooney IC Kit.jpg

MooneyInstall.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Shapiro

I was offered the Mooney and Arrow intercooler STC's last year (July 2017) from AirFlow Systems, and mailed a $500 deposit in exchange for all information on the two STC's.  Unfortunately, I never received the complete drawing package, so I declined their offer, THANKFULLY.  I did have a nice meeting in CA with the Airflow owner.

I contacted the FAA to see if I would be able to piggy-back on one of my current PMA's (I own 25 STC's) or another STC holders PMA. The FAA (LAACO, Seattle MIDO) response was a NO. NO. NO.!  Without any Airflow sales or recent FAA inspections they would be required to submit a new application for PMA approval.  They would also have to comply with ALL the current FAA regulations for manufacturing. Turboplus has been in business since 1982 and has continued to supply quality products for over thirty-five years.  I'm reading about the claim that the Airflow system is more efficient than the Turboplus intercooler, and it may be, but they needed a much larger intercooler core to compete with our excellent cooling design.  Turboplus believes that upwards of 80+ degrees of cooling is pretty darn good, and 241 MPH at 24,000 feet, max speed (FAA certification flight tests) isn't too bad either. Our NACA duct directs ambient air right at the intercooler core, not through a tube from the front of the cowling (needs paint too?) into the Air Flow cast intercooler. And yes, less installation time for AF, but the NACA duct looks so cool and it cools just like the NACA ducts on jets, racecars, sports cars and military aircraft.  So, Turboplus got it right way back in the 1980's.  Turboplus is a family owned and operated business.

All of our intercooler parts are custom made from high quality aircraft aluminum; no castings as in the Airflow intercooler design. We use shock mounting for our intercooler installation, not rigid hard mounting to the engine structure like the Airflow intercooler. We supply you with a Davtron gauge and two temperature probes so you'll have continuous intercooler temperature readings throughout your entire flight.  Both systems are a good investment, but remember Turboplus has been in business for many years and has continued to support its customer base, never shutting down and leaving customers in the dark.  I have relocated the business back to WA state under the name Turboplus Aircraft Systems. We have been very pleased with our customer support and response after installing many Mooney, Cessna and Piper intercoolers in 2017, and deposits for more kits this year. Merlyn Products fully supports the Turboplus Mooney Intercooler System. Visit our website:  www.Turboplus.com and click on our Mooney intercooler kit page on the drop down menu, see why our customers have stood by us for 30+ years, and continue to do so. WE SHIP direct to your FBO or to you personally.  

We offer New Owner and MooneySpace Discounts, use CODE: jss2751.  Call for details. Ask for Jeff, 253-851-1769

TURBOPLUS AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS 

FIVE YEAR WARRANTY

FAA-PMA APPROVED

Mooney IC Kit.jpg

Edited by Jeff Shapiro

Jeff since you are familiar with the STC business...

Have you seen the old Mooney autopilot/wing leveler?  The owner recently passed. They are looking for a new owner to carry on the business.

The contact is around here somewhere (Cecilia?)

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

If you are interested in the only FAA-PMA APPROVED M20K intercooler system, please visit:  www.Turboplus.com 

Request Quote Sheet and the $500.00 MooneySpace discount through our website Contact Page.

Jeff Shapiro, Owner 

Turboplus Aircraft Systems 

IMG_5941.jpg

Edited by Jeff Shapiro
Added inflight picture; text edit.