Pirep - G5 (2), GMU11, GAD29B + Century IIB

MooneyBob

Sorry if I’m late to the show, I was until recently under the impression the G5 HSI would not send signal to an A/P. But I guess I need to do some reading. I have decided to replace my AI with a G5 this last month. Right now I have a slaved KCS-55a, an IFD440, and an S-Tec 30 with a GPSS converter. What would I gain or lose installing the G5 HSI and what else would I have to install to have the same capabilities I have now? Thanks for the write up MooneyBob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if I’m late to the show, I was until recently under the impression the G5 HSI would not send signal to an A/P. But I guess I need to do some reading. I have decided to replace my AI with a G5 this last month. Right now I have a slaved KCS-55a, an IFD440, and an S-Tec 30 with a GPSS converter. What would I gain or lose installing the G5 HSI and what else would I have to install to have the same capabilities I have now? Thanks for the write up MooneyBob.

The G5 + GAD29B would replace your entire KCS55 system and GPSS module, so you'd lose the mechanical gyros and some extra weight. GPSS is included in the G5 box natively, so no need for the add-on module. If you have a good backup, you could likely remove your vacuum system too.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The G5 + GAD29B would replace your entire KCS55 system and GPSS module, so you'd lose the mechanical gyros and some extra weight. GPSS is included in the G5 box natively, so no need for the add-on module. If you have a good backup, you could likely remove your vacuum system too.

That was one of the reasons to get the AI G5 to be able to remove the vacuum system. I even ordered LASAR’s kit to plug the hole:) What is the GMU11, and is it something that I’ll need as well?

That was one of the reasons to get the AI G5 to be able to remove the vacuum system. I even ordered LASAR’s kit to plug the hole:) What is the GMU11, and is it something that I’ll need as well?

That is the magnetometer, which would replace the King KMT112, likely in your left wing. You'll need it. You might get lucky and it could drop-in the same location,, perhaps with a connector swap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

And, when installed as an HSI, the G5 can do double duty as a backup AI.  If your primary AI fails in flight, you can change the HSI into a battery backed up AI.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Anyone flown with their G5 HSI at night yet? Mine in auto mode is quite dim and have to go manual, the AI is fine. Might be because the black background of the HSI, I’m wondering if the auto mode can be adjusted.

I ran into this also.  Had to adjust manually.  I just found this in the install manual.  With all of these settings, surely it can be changed to work automatically.

Current Mode

Default Mode

Minimum Photocell Input

Minimum Display Brightness

Maximum Photocell Input

Maximum Display Brightness

Filter Time Constant

Thus far, I don't know what these specifically do and haven't found any explanation.  But one of these has to be the ticket - if they exist in the G5 Certified unit.  I bet it's Minimum Display Brightness.

Edited by Philip