Pirep - G5 (2), GMU11, GAD29B + Century IIB

MooneyBob

First flight today from avionics shop ( Tomlinson Avionics @ KFMY).

I have downloaded and read the G5 manual few days ago to get familiar with it. After short overview with the engine running, pushing and turning few buttons I was on my way home. Nothing into it. 

Works as advertised. I was able to follow magenta line in the AP heading mode and changed the course with the heading bug with the GPPS OFF on the G5. Nice and smooth.

Then I have loaded RNAV 35 approach to KMKY and enabled GPPS on the G5. The AP stays in the heading mode. I never had it before. The thing flew the whole approach itself. Again very smoothly and precisely. And it was very bumpy up there. Since I don't have pitch control all I had to do is watch and trim for my altitude and control the power in order to stay on the glide slope.

I know people say that there is really no value to the G5 ADI since I had to keep my vacuum AI but it is a big improvement to what I had before. 

Next I am going to shoot some ILS and VOR approaches but I hope I will never use them again. 

• Like 6

Looks very nice.  GPSS is amazing, turn it on 30 seconds after liftoff and disengage at minimums. I do not have power trim so I manually control altitude on approach as well. However, since I’m currently working on my IR I hand fly it all the time anyway. 

Thanks for sharing!

Great PIREP. I have a KFC 200 and been looking at this upgrade. My KI 256 (ADI) has to be kept because of my legacy AP. My understanding was that I could not move my old ADI and replace with a G5 ADI (position) according to the STC. I am calling today about the G5 HSI and GAD 29B. Might as well ask about the ADI, too.

What Bryan said...BK is taking forever on the KI300...why is it that the G5 can't be used a certified AI with an interface to drive the legacy King A/P's?  I'd do a dual installation of G5's in a heartbeat to replace the AI/HSI gyros and get rid of the vacuum system.  Hello Garmin...!???

• Like 1

What Bryan said...BK is taking forever on the KI300...why is it that the G5 can't be used a certified AI with an interface to drive the legacy King A/P's?  I'd do a dual installation of G5's in a heartbeat to replace the AI/HSI gyros and get rid of the vacuum system.  Hello Garmin...!???
Because they want you to buy their autopilot, in addition to the G5's. If it could fully run the old stuff, then you would be much less inclined to upgrade!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Because they want you to buy their autopilot, in addition to the G5's. If it could fully run the old stuff, then you would be much less inclined to upgrade!

Which is the same reason they won’t allow G5s to act as backup to G500, they want you to buy 2 G500s.

2 hours ago, MooneyBob said:

Adding one pic

G5.JPG

Couple of things:

Does the fact that the yoke shaft is so close to the HSI knob cause you any problems?

the G5 stick out a bit, I bet they would look nicer flush mounted, if I ever do major upgrade I go that route, what do think?

do you have any trouble reading the display?  Especially the heading bug seems small?

44 minutes ago, carqwik said:

They are out of pins on the connector. You would need two GAD29s.

The short answer s the ADI could flip the plane over, the HSI can only command a 30 degree bank.

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

@MooneyBob how many hours were billed for installation, and did the shop say anything about ease or difficulty? Any idea if they had done one before?

It was their very first installation for this configuration. The GAD29B just came out. They didn't mention any surprises or difficulty during the install. The cost was $ 10,499. I don't recall how many hours they billed. I have to check if the invoice is broken down like that. 

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Not Bob, but his autopilot needs the outputs from his vacuum AI.

That's right. And I already had installed Sandia 340 as my backup AI and I was excited about vacuum removal. Unfortunately Sandia had to go out ( not enough space in the panel).

Once the GFC500 is available the vacuum will be removed and Sandia goes back. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Couple of things:

Does the fact that the yoke shaft is so close to the HSI knob cause you any problems?

the G5 stick out a bit, I bet they would look nicer flush mounted, if I ever do major upgrade I go that route, what do think?

do you have any trouble reading the display?  Especially the heading bug seems small?

I played with both knobs and didn't notice any trouble to press and turn the knob. My hands are not small either. 

I hope that my " major upgrade " will be next step when I am going to put in GFC500, new remote transponder, Sandia 340 and who knows what else. Then it will be probably new panel cut out. 

I wear reading glasses and my vision sucks in general. No issue reading the display. It is very crisp. Really nice. 

• Like 1

So the CB solution is to get a KI-300 for the AI and a G5 for the HSI...then it's all good and I get rid of the vacuum system with much greater reliability...and my BK KFC-150 A/P is still usable...?

Or replace the BK A/P altogether and get the Garmin A/P?  Will that work with two G5s?  This is getting expensive...since I also need ADS-B and a WAAS GPS too...jesus, the new avionics alone are worth half the value of the airplane at that point!

5 hours ago, carqwik said:

My sentiment, exactly.

I switched my G5 HSI to PFD mode on my flight home today. It worked perfectly. The altitude and airspeed matched my steam gauges perfectly. That is impressive considering that no calibration was done. It will take a little getting used to the tapes, but I was getting the hang of it. So if you have a G5 HSI you have a built in backup.

Is there a way to get a TAS display? you would need to enter the OAT.

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I switched my G5 HSI to PFD mode on my flight home today. It worked perfectly. The altitude and airspeed matched my steam gauges perfectly. That is impressive considering that no calibration was done. It will take a little getting used to the tapes, but I was getting the hang of it. So if you have a G5 HSI you have a built in backup.

Is there a way to get a TAS display? you would need to enter the OAT.

Let me get my head around it. So with single G5 + legacy AP adapter + keeping your old ADI, you will not loose anything as far as AP functionality is concerned (say KFC 200) but to gain a back up AI? (Disregard the fact that you still have to keep your vaccum system). 

29 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Let me get my head around it. So with single G5 + legacy AP adapter + keeping your old ADI, you will not loose anything as far as AP functionality is concerned (say KFC 200) but to gain a back up AI? (Disregard the fact that you still have to keep your vaccum system). 

Edited. I realized you are talking single G5.