Electronic Fuel/boost Pump

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

Chose? Why would you ever continue if you were below Vr?  Different if you are above Vr but below Vmca.

Above V1, below Vr?

That tiny area between V1 and Vr can be nasty because it's  not as cut n dried as the regs would have us believe.  This where those overpaid airline captains earn the big bucks.

Single engine simplifies.

From a realistic point of view...

The electric pump is on for a reason during each flight...

• produces pressure to prime the engine... (harder to start without it)
  • produces additional fuel pressure for additional fuel during max power operations... (good for cylinder cooling)

The electric fuel pump has one additional really good use...

• when the mechanical pump fails, the electric one is used to supply the full fuel flow...

Supplying temp power to the pump is an easy way to test if it is still working.  This tests...

• power through the switch.
  • grounding of the pump.
  • Electric sparks near the fuel pump are not recommended, put some thought in, before turning the electricity on.... it would take a combination of errors to make a real problem...

PP thoughts only. Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Piston airplanes don’t have a V1 per se,  nor do they have guaranteed performance after an engine failure. Jets do. It’s different. 

Uh...I think that's what I meant by "single engine simplifies".  My point was (academically speaking) there is an area between V1 and Vr.  Such is meaningless upon loss of 100% of your powerplants.  :lol:  Even in a jet.

Are you sure the commercial props had no V1?  The 4 engine turboprop I flew certainly did.  As I recall, we computed V1, Vr, Vd and V2 for every takeoff.