M20U

Bartman

I detect sarcasm in your post. But to be fair, the announcement was about delivering the first Ovation Ultra, signifying that both the Acclaim and Ovation Ultras are in production and being sold.  So it wasn't about selling an airplane as much as announcing to the world that the Ovation Ultra is now available.  I also noticed that the Ovation Ultra was the cover picture and featured story in this month's Flying Magazine.  It helps that a key writer for the magazine, Pia Bergqvist, flies an older Mooney so she is enamored with the brand.

This is all good news to me.

• Like 3

Incidentally, Plane&Pilot also ran a cover story on Ovation Ultra. Both gave raving reviews which makes sense when the comparison is made against the competition. But often the biggest competition comes from the model's predecessor. What exactly does the new Ultra offer - speed and efficiency-wise - that will entice current Ovation owners? 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Incidentally, Plane&Pilot also ran a cover story on Ovation Ultra. Both gave raving reviews which makes sense when the comparison is made against the competition. But often the biggest competition comes from the model's predecessor. What exactly does the new Ultra offer - speed and efficiency-wise - that will entice current Ovation owners? 

Good question. I guess it depends on how old your Ovation is. For some, the jump to the latest G1000 may be enticing...I know there are some concerns about having the fully-integrated panel compared to piecing something together with components, so it's a personal choice. I do like the G1000 but recognize its limitations. I think the pilot's side door is a big draw, not so much for the pilot as for all the passengers as it helps with ingress/egress...and the stretched door makes it easier to get in the back. There really isn't a performance difference in actual flight, I don't think. There's no doubt that it's an evolution and not a revolution, but I think there are some worthwhile upgrades.

Without having some legitimate way to write it off as a business expense, I wouldn't probably spring for a brand new model, but perhaps in a couple of years if one comes available I'd be interested.  But I don't suspect Mooney is targeting the current Ovation owners as much as the broader market, so the push to compare against other models makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

...I know there are some concerns about having the fully-integrated panel compared to piecing something together with components, so it's a personal choice. I do like the G1000 but recognize its limitations. 

This question arises out of a position of ignorance; but wasn't there some big problem with the earlier Mooney glass panel, as the plane was certified with it, as opposed to merely having it installed. I think I understood that this meant that you couldn't change to a new nav device without an STC. 

Are the new planes "certified" with this panel, and would that mean that panel manufacturer could allow some non-support problem to ground your plane at some point. Or was that issue fixed some way.

No Don, all G1000 models of any plane have the G1000 elements as part of the Type Certificate, so that is the point of contention. It does make it harder to add piece-parts to your panel the way you can if you have separate radios, PFD/MFD, etc.  So getting updates to the system relies on both Garmin doing the programming, and Mooney certifying it for release.  So far, Mooney has actually been a leader in keeping its older G1000 planes updated, with (now) reasonable availability of WAAS upgrades, ADS-B compliance, etc.  The Cessna/Diamond/Beech folks are still struggling with these issues in their older G1000 planes.

As I've stated elsewhere in these pages, my next quest is to rid myself of the last vestiges of spinning gyros in my panel. This means replacing my backup AI with the new Mid-continent SAM module, which is in the Ultras. I think this can probably be done without further approval but I just haven't investigated it in detail. Beyond that, I'd like to replace the S-TEC 55x (driven by a hidden electric turn coordinator with spinning gyro) with Garmin's new GFC600 autopilot, but since this definitely integrates with the G1000 that will need to be blessed by the Garmin/Mooney Duumvirate (yes, that's a word...I looked it up!).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, gsengle said:

I have read that this years production had sold out, does anyone have a reference for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard the same thing! Seems like they are 3 1/2 months out on new orders. Good news.

As a survivor of a bad traffic accident, seat belts with shoulder harness and air bag, is why I am here today.

I has surprised with the size of the air bag (small).  How big are the air bags in the shoulder harness for our planes? Which side of the harness is it?  What are the maintenance requirements?  

My accident was 3 weeks ago, I have a lot of time now, 5 fractured ribs, nose and 7 staples in my head.  2007 Jeep Wrangler and a very sudden stop.

An airplane cabin does not look crash worthy compared to even older cars. If you do not have shoulder harness’s in your plane, get them. With air bags would be better. 

Ron

• Like 5

4 hours ago, N803RM said:

I has surprised with the size of the air bag (small).  How big are the air bags in the shoulder harness for our planes? Which side of the harness is it?  What are the maintenance requirements?  

The airbag is in the outboard half of the lap belt. 

There is an annual test that requires using a special test set.  

Some of the systems components have a ten year life  

More Info 

9 hours ago, N803RM said:

As a survivor of a bad traffic accident, seat belts with shoulder harness and air bag, is why I am here today.

My accident was 3 weeks ago, I have a lot of time now, 5 fractured ribs, nose and 7 staples in my head.  2007 Jeep Wrangler and a very sudden stop.

An airplane cabin does not look crash worthy compared to even older cars. If you do not have shoulder harness’s in your plane, get them. With air bags would be better. 

Ron

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and very glad to hear it was not worse.

I crash/totalled a car almost one year ago now, on the highway.  First accident since I was 17 - knock on wood. Scared the #^%*&8 out of me, but that is all.  The car crash cage, the engine mounts, etc all did their job to absorb impact.  So did the seatbelt and airbag.  I hit that seat belt hard enough that my chest was black and blue for weeks.

Several years ago I was emailing regularly with am safe trying to get them to extend their airbag seatbelt stc to earlier models, and they seemed like they would perhaps, but clearly never did.  I wonder if in the current environment of part 23 rewrite if they would reconsider.

Thank You for the kind thoughts.   I basically went from 50 miles an hour to zero in about 3 feet. The damage to the jeep is horrible, the front bumper is pushed back almost 2 feet, broken winch, and damage everywhere, but I made it, and will be fully recovered soon.

Maybe if enough people bug AmSafe they will make a retrofit available.  I put the shoulder harness's in years ago.  I can't believe the number of years now that I have flown with just lap belts in many aircraft.  And the yoke is just a possible spear into your chest.

Ron