Replace aileron final link bearing

I have slop in both ailerons in the final link bearing at the aileron itself. I can hold the linkage and move the aileron a fair amount. 

At one point I got a quote from Maxwell for parts to replace the original hinged pin bearing with a more traditional Heim style bearing of around $800 for parts.

I was just curious if there are other routes to replace that linkage or what others have done. My ailerons have probably become slight speed breaks over the years as the rise up on the slop.

My IA was concerned it could cause flutter but I'm confident they are both under so much pressure from lift  to rise they'll just become speed brakes.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

I had the same thing a few years back, there isn't a replacement option other than factory new, after which you'll need new Heim bearings.  If there turns out to be a cheaper route, please post it.

The cool thing to me is that my 53 year old M20C now has the same aileron links as a brand new Acclaim.

Many control tubes have welded rod end bearings, under owner produced parts can you carefully grind the weld off and weld in a new bearing?

For the pinned version can you turn down a bearing and redrill and pin it under the same opener produced part?

Clarence

Robert,

I've replaced those 3-4 years ago during the annual for the same reason.

Unlike a year before when I've done Heims the rudder controls, this time I had to order a complete Tube assy's from LASAR but price was not that bad; maybe less then $300 for a pair. It seems price is higher these days.

In order to replace them, you'll have to disconnect the LH and RH system in the belly. Watch far washers and spacer arrangement.

Edited by Igor_U
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 8:44 AM, Igor_U said:

Robert,

I've replaced those 3-4 years ago during the annual for the same reason.

Unlike a year before when I've done Heims the rudder controls, this time I had to order a complete Tube assy's from LASAR but price was not that bad; maybe less then $300 for a pair. It seems price is higher these days.

In order to replace them, you'll have to disconnect the LH and RH system in the belly. Watch far washers and spacer arrangement.

Just curious if you found any speed differenece afterwards. 

-Robert

7 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

My slop seems more than trivial. 

Did you have to do any modifications using the Mooney replacement linkage?

-Robert

Oh, yeah, my IA wouldn't like that! :o

No mods were needed... I've done work myself and don't remember any difficulties once I disconnected LHS & RHS controls in the belly. The biggest issue was I have speed mods like flap track and aileron fairings but those didn't need to be removed. IIRC, those were flexible enough to take a linkage out but I might have to R&R few blind rivets attaching fairing. My IA approved the work...

I would have a look at the plane to confirm and take photos but unfortunately I'm in GA for a contract work and back at KPAE just before holidays.

Good luck.

12 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

We might be talking different linkage. You changed a linkage in the belly? The majority of my slop is at the attachment at the aileron. I was going to replace the linage between the bellcrank and the aileron.

-Robert

Robert,

Same link. In order to remove the link at the aileron, I had to disconnect LH and RH side of control system in the belly.

Disconnecting it allows you to raise aileron beyond the stop and access the Bellcrank (part 22 Fig. 27 in parts manual MAN205) fastener through the wing access panel and slide the offending link out. I am not sure the small fairing I mentioned had something to do about that... I might have some pictures at my laptop; I'll post them if I do.