Interior Refurbishment

FlyWalt

Hi guys,

I am in the midst of redoing the interior plastic panels in our 231. One thing I try to do with every toy I refurb is keep it the way she came out of the factory. Can anyone direct me to a source for the exact colors that Mooney painted these panels. This aircraft has what appears to be either yellow or beige panels. The exterior base color is beige. I would think that the yellow color would be a  result of 40 years of fading.

Does Mooney keep records of the original colors that were ordered?

Thank you in advance,
Walt

24 minutes ago, FlyWalt said:

Hi guys,

I am in the midst of redoing the interior plastic panels in our 231. One thing I try to do with every toy I refurb is keep it the way she came out of the factory. Can anyone direct me to a source for the exact colors that Mooney painted these panels. This aircraft has what appears to be either yellow or beige panels. The exterior base color is beige. I would think that the yellow color would be a  result of 40 years of fading.

Thank you in advance,
Walt

A Mooney Service Center should be able to get that info from the factory. You'll need the serial number. (One slight problem - DMax pointed out on the MAPA list last week that recently retired long time key guy Mike Miles was the factory man who knew how to pull up such old info but I assume someone else has taken that little chore on.)

I used Super White and looks to be close to what original was in my 1978 J.  This color from SEM was recommended on MS as well. As a Pirep I found both Amazon and TCP Global as good sources to order from.  The SEM took about three or four light coats to cover well and quite a few cans. I followed the SEM system.  My opinion was that the original color was too white but nonetheless one of the lighter whites may match up to OEM for your project.  The Super White is very close as one of these photos was in full sun and one is in the basement with low light.  Good luck with your project! It's a lot of fun working on your plane.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/SEM-VCS-CC_3.html#.Wg4UU7FOmf0

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

• Like 1

I used an SEM equivalent that the local auto upholstery supply had on hand called colorbond or something like that.  Used their color guide.  It took a *lot* more of the product than anticipated because it works by working its way into the plastic and essentially re-dying it.  It wasn’t cheap - probably about $200 for the cans alone for my full interior.  I put a clear coat on top of it to protect and make it “wipeable”.  The krylon rattle can is a less expensive option that a few people here have gotten good results with.  

I went with the High end Rustoleum and it has been good for going on 2 years.   I used the regular Rustoluem on the Leather arm rests and the trim pieces which has held up much better than I expected.

Depending on your skill set you can get sheets of Royalite that meet FAR 25.853b   https://www.professionalplastics.com/ROYALITER57SHEET

Search around there is the method to repair the panels

20150803_171913.jpg

20150402_093232.jpg

4 hours ago, FlyWalt said:

Hi guys,

Thank you in advance,
Walt

Walt -- not sure where you are located, but I am having Bruce Jaeger come to my airport the week of December 4th to redo my interior. He will also be available to talk to owners about the various technique to refurbish and repaint the interior pieces. He has me looking at SEM samples for the panel colors. If you are in the mid Atlantic area, might be worth a trip over to speak to the expert. I created a thread on the activity.