Upgrading single axis autopilot to two-axis (electric trim exists)

emilpemil

Oh wise Mooney experts...

For an older Mooney with a Century 41B autopilot (single axis, roll & heading) I wonder what the upgrade options are. The plane is equipped with electric trim. It seems to me the cheapest would be an autopilot that interfaces with the existing ap servo and electric trim. Do any such upgrades exist? Alternatively, any ideas for the cheapest way to get a working 2-axis autopilot in there?

Thanks!

For an older Mooney with a Century 41B autopilot (single axis, roll & heading) I wonder what the upgrade options are. The plane is equipped with electric trim. It seems to me the cheapest would be an autopilot that interfaces with the existing ap servo and electric trim. Do any such upgrades exist? Alternatively, any ideas for the cheapest way to get a working 2-axis autopilot in there?
Thanks!
At this point I'd wait for the GFC500 or similar competitor and replace the entire system.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

At this point I'd wait for the GFC500 or similar competitor and replace the entire system.

That would be nice, though that sounds like a big task (25k + install?). Is there any indication that they are going to make it available for Mooney? It seemed to be 172,182 and Piper in that order. 

Yes, closer to 10 AMU including 1 G5 as an attitude indicator. Add another for HSI for a couple more AMU. TruTrak and Trio will also be lower cost options.

Garmin has their own J and R models...gotta figure they'll be covered early on.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, emilpemil said:

Thanks!

A Century 41 had heading, nav, coupled approaches, altitude hold.

5a0e318e4c5d2_ScreenShot2017-11-16at6_43_48PM.thumb.png.17fac6272190ffc0ccfb73b690f07f0b.png

A Century IIB had a wing leveler and a nav coupler plus a heading bug if I remember correctly. Sounds like you have a IIb.

5a0e3192084d7_ScreenShot2017-11-16at6_44_41PM.thumb.png.0fd59724844c4669eba1b72b454ead75.png

Not sure of the cost but over the years it has been possible to add an STEC PSS (Pitch Stabilization System) and get altitude hold on a one axis system. But as others have mentioned with the newer autopilots coming out they will probably be much better options.

On 11/16/2017 at 8:53 PM, jetdriven said:

The 30ALT is a good system. The PSS allows you to do an ILS glideslope. I think the 30ALT is around 8-9k laid in. 

And at that point you're probably better off doing the GFC 500 or other experimental setup.