AD Search

Raptor05121

Just remember that signing off an annual inspection mechanics are verifying that the airplane and its parts are  in ad compliance from build date until that date annual is signed.  just going back one year and seeing if any new or recurring AD's using past mechanics lists is not good enough, unless of course it  was you who did last years inspection. Most mechanics that I know and myself, upon first annual of an aircraft that they have not seen before spend several non  paid hours making sure some past mechanic did not miss an AD years ago, compile a new list ensuring compliance.

More than once there has been a very surprised owner with an AD that was missed in the past years  by mechanics only searching since last year and signing an annual. 

The FAA could do maintainers a favour by making AD’s the responsibility of the owner, that’s how it is in Canada.  The owner may delegate the task but not the ultimate responsibility for compliance.

Clarence

8 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The FAA could do maintainers a favour by making AD’s the responsibility of the owner, that’s how it is in Canada.  The owner may delegate the task but not the ultimate responsibility for compliance.

Clarence

Question is, do you trust the owner to get it right? :P

I just hope FAA can design their website well so that all you have to do is put in the year / model and it gives you the list of relevant AD just like that...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Most owners I know cant keep track of the annual, much less AD's.  Anyways, airworthiness is determined by the owner or operator, which includes AD's.

Agreed, however I can sign out an Annual, miss an AD and not face enforcement action because it’s the owners responsibility to ensure compliance.

Clarence

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Agreed, however I can sign out an Annual, miss an AD and not face enforcement action because it’s the owners responsibility to ensure compliance.

Clarence

I agree that it's owners' and oeprators' resonbility when it comes to airworthiness but I believe that when I take a plane to a shop for an annual, I expect the shop doing the AD search not me. For one, I have little or no training / experience in searching for ADs. Worse still, some owners may choose to neglect certain inconvenient ADs. 

Yes I know that, in the ideal world, all operators and owners should be diligently taking proactive steps to learn how to look up ADs and spend at least 3 or 4 hours before any annual to compile the list.

IMHO, putting the onus on the owners to do AD searches is akin to asking your patients to come up with the diagnosis themselves.

And can you imagine the public outcry if the car industry does the same?

• Like 1