Dual G5 + GAD29B

Tommy

Just planning ahead.

I have a pretty stock standard 1981 J with FD + HSI + KFC 200 + KTX 175BE

If I get a dual G5 + GAD29B to talk to my KFC 200. What functionalit(ies) will I loose? And if I spend big and install a GTN 650. How much hands-off flying can I do with this setup? 

And what would be a competitive rival setup and what sort of pricing difference am I looking at here? 

Thanks guys! 

Tom

• 3 months later...

43 minutes ago, JeffMirs said:

"You cannot use the G5 for your autopilot attitude source. You would need to keep your FD."

Since when?  Of course you can.  That is what the GAD 29 allows.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/july/18/garmin-g5-autopilot-support

The G5 is not an attitude source for any autopilot except the GFC 500. The GAD29b allows it to be a navigation/heading source for the listed autopilots(HSI Replacement). For those of us with King Autopilots and KI256 or KG258 we have to keep those with the G5, similarly with the Century or other attitude based autopilots.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve W said:

The G5 is not an attitude source for any autopilot except the GFC 500. The GAD29b allows it to be a navigation/heading source for the listed autopilots(HSI Replacement). For those of us with King Autopilots and KI256 or KG258 we have to keep those with the G5, similarly with the Century or other attitude based autopilots.

+1 and discussed with my Avionics shop just last week...

You wouldn’t lose any functionality unless you have an ability to select Nav source with the current HSI.  There is a work around to wire to multiple navigator sources (limited by brand of course) and to select them with the G5 HSI

You would require a Garmin (or Avidyne maybe) source for the Nav data. 

You would gain GPSS steering and a 4-hr battery backup standby attitude indicator 

On 2/25/2018 at 12:45 AM, JeffMirs said:

"You cannot use the G5 for your autopilot attitude source. You would need to keep your FD."

Since when?  Of course you can.  That is what the GAD 29 allows.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/july/18/garmin-g5-autopilot-support

No. The G5 does not provide attitude reference to legacy autopilots.

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, JeffMirs said:

Well, I guess if you have a Sperry unit from the 1950s it may not work.  But any STEC or King will.

No, the G5 does not provide attitude to an STEC or King. The link you provide talks about heading, not attitude. This has been discussed at great length and the G5 does not provide attitude to an autopilot at this point. Who knows what's in the plans for the future?