Cost of ownership "budget"

On 11/20/2017 at 10:25 PM, aviatoreb said:

I'm waiting for my boys to graduate, open up a fantastic static .dot come, make their first billion then buy me a TBM 930.

Better yet, fly now rather than wait for the unlikely event.  

I haven’t met any old pilots who say, “I sure wish I’d worked more overtime and not bought airplanes  and flown all over the country having fun with my young family.”  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I haven’t met any old pilots who say, “I sure wish I’d worked more overtime and not bought airplanes  and flown all over the country having fun with my young family.”  

Amen brother.

30 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Agreed!

But I won't buy that TBM930 just yet (haha if ever) and I will stick with this pokey-ol' Mooney Rocket.

On 11/20/2017 at 11:46 PM, flyboy0681 said:

From my experience it doesn't always work that way. My wife and I have a very close friend whose son wrote a software development kit (SDK) in 2007 for the newly introduced iPhone which permitted people to join a network and play games in real-time with others. Three years later he sold his company for $105m, at 27 years old and no partners. He's a very regular guy, married his college sweetheart and lives in an ordinary San Francisco neighborhood. He only indulges his parents with a family vacation once a year. We all had dinner in the Bay Area last August and he was telling me about a recent flight he took on Virgin America with his wife from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco where the window seat was not occupied and that he and his wife could spread out in the entire rowand how great it was. To me, that spoke volumes.

Ummmm...how unexciting.

2 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I think it's a testament to how his parents raised him. Even after his huge success, he stayed very grounded and middle class.

I'm not so well grounded.   Let me announce it right here right now - after my first $100M I'm buying a TBM930.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I think it's a testament to how his parents raised him. Even after his huge success, he stayed very grounded and middle class.

indulge: to allow unrestrained gratification

When someone with an annual income in the millions considers an annual vacation for his parents to be "indulgence", I'd hate to think how he'd treat them if he were being miserly.  Sounds to me to be less "grounded" and more Ebenezer.

4 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

indulge: to allow unrestrained gratification

When someone with an annual income in the millions considers an annual vacation for his parents to be "indulgence", I'd hate to think how he'd treat them if he were being miserly.  Sounds to me to be less "grounded" and more Ebenezer.

Can't any of those who responded to my story of a guy who made it big and stayed the same person simply appreciate the story for what it is? Must every word be parsed out and granularized?

Unfreakingbelivable.

Can't any of those who responded to my story of a guy who made it big and stayed the same person simply appreciate the story for what it is? Must every word be parsed out and granularized?
Unfreakingbelivable.

That’s what we do best. We’re like a school yard full of kids with magnifying glasses looking for the next ant to fry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Unfreakingbelivable.

Thats a real nice story thanks for sharing it.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, flyboy0681 said:

lives in an ordinary San Francisco neighborhood

Grew up in the Bay Area and lived a while in the city and for the life of me cant think of any neighborhood that fits the description of ordinary in SF

Just now, bonal said:

Grew up in the Bay Area and lived a while in the city and for the life of me cant think of any neighborhood that fits the description of ordinary in SF

Compared to Pacific Heights, Nob Hill or the Marina District, Noe Valley is pretty darn ordinary.

13 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Ummmm...how unexciting.

Guy I worked for is @$1B cash and former O driver.  He tried to sell me a handheld GPS from the 1960’s before he listed it on eBay.     He bitches about hanger rent on his LSA.  He drinks Old Style.  I despise him for his choice in beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, M20F said:

Guy I worked for is @$1B cash and former O driver.  He tried to sell me a handheld GPS from the 1960’s before he listed it on eBay.     He bitches about hanger rent on his LSA.  He drinks Old Style.  I despise him for his choice in beer.

Wait a second.... and I have an old gps from 1776 to sell you... it costs extra because it’s the same gps that general Washington used navigating at night while crossing the Delaware attacking the British fortification.  I’ll start bidding at $25k

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, M20F said:

He tried to sell me a handheld GPS from the 1960’s before he listed it on eBay.

He must of thought of you as a sucker...the first GPS satellite was not launched until 1978 and was military use only.

22 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Wait a second.... and I have an old gps from 1776 to sell you... it costs extra because it’s the same gps that general Washington used navigating at night while crossing the Delaware attacking the British fortification.  I’ll start bidding at $25k

+1, but advertising does say “Pure brewed in God’s country”...so at least he has that going for him.  And “Kreusening” :)

On 11/22/2017 at 9:23 AM, flyboy0681 said:

It is a testament to his being a CB.  Put the freaking 100 million in a bank, but for heaven’s sakes!  Fly coach with family when you need not do so based on your having the means to afford an upgrade?  To be comfortable rather than not?  This is a testament alright.  It has everything to do with having a great idea and cashing in on it for what purpose?  I guess the answer is to have a ridiculously large amount of money sitting in a bank or invested so you can fly coach and not enjoy it with family.

Yawn.

(Not what I would aspire to emulate)

Signed: somebody that despises coach and commercial aviation and is a CB that flies Allegant Airlines (when he flies) because he does not have over $100M (keep removing zeros...) in the bank.