G5’s installed - pickup tomorrow

Philip

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 5:18 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

I'm sorry but your autopilot is not on the list.

image.png.ff99bee4c02f492641bd8e68b8cb6040.png

Where did you get that list? The latest Certified Install manual I could find onlinel, Rev. 11, says (for Cessna)

image.png.1b930b529035bb85a1e7ad566a42af89.png

If the 300A is supported, that would make all the difference for me.

Edited by MarcK
spelling correction

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone installing G5's & GAd29b to the beloved Brittain, pm me for advice.  

On 12/31/2017 at 4:42 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Marck.

We have @TrekLawler around here often...

Trek is a Garmin Tech Guy...

He doesn't visit very often.  Is more likely to be found kicking around at BT...

It looks like the 300A has been left off the list for a reason.

Good luck.

Best regards,

-a-

The 300A is the ACV version of the 300.   The 300B is the DCV version.    They are both still in the automated configuration menu of the primary G5 in the current firmware.  There are some different pin assignments on the GAD though.    

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 3:13 PM, MarcK said:

Where did you get that list? The latest Certified Install manual I could find onlinel, Rev. 11, says (for Cessna)

image.png.1b930b529035bb85a1e7ad566a42af89.png

If the 300A is supported, that would make all the difference for me.

The 300A is supported and has an automated config setting in the menu.  I think the above image was an oversight because there is just a 300A (AC) and 300B (DC).

1 hour ago, Browncbr1 said:

The 300A is supported and has an automated config setting in the menu.  I think the above image was an oversight because there is just a 300A (AC) and 300B (DC).

Go to page 5 of this post and read a post from Trek Lawler from Garmin on November 10. The 300A is not supported - the early manual was wrong.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=142609&hilit=300A

5a57a23f1c2eb_ScreenShot2018-01-11at11_41_35AM.thumb.png.96dba268b0ef40c454b2fc4a23b8d301.png

11 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Go to page 5 of this post and read a post from Trek Lawler from Garmin on November 10. The 300A is not supported - the early manual was wrong.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=142609&hilit=300A

5a57a23f1c2eb_ScreenShot2018-01-11at11_41_35AM.thumb.png.96dba268b0ef40c454b2fc4a23b8d301.png

Strange, I didn’t realize they intentionally removed it, as the 300A is one of the config settings in the current g5 firmware and according to a volt meter, it sends AC signals, albeit the pretty low levels.   Perhaps that’s why it got removed.  The g502a that the 300a uses for heading signal puts out levels much higher than what the G5/gad auto config was sending out for the 300a.   

Although it was removed from the list, I believe it is technically possible to achieve a working connection at least through the customized output settings, though not legal.  Any avionics tech with a volt meter should be able to figure it out pretty easily by referencing the g502a.  

• 1 month later...

resurrecting this thread, as I just got an email from Ceci at Brittain... It seems they are trucking along and Brittain will survive one way or another.   She sent me the attached prelim drawings that they are working again on getting Brittain APs added to Garmin's STC.   These drawings are a little more complicated than another way that the system can also operate.   Attached for everyone to keep record.  ;)

Brittain G5 Dwg Rev A.pdf

G5 Hook Up, No Transformers.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I installed the G5 in my 65 E model .    accuflite and accutrac ,   the heading bug drives the accuflite and the Garmin 400w drives the accutrack ,     Or throw the switch and the old Narco vor drives the accutrac.   Like the manual says it holds,   not intercept but ...  I really wanted my heading bug, and was relieved it worked.   

dc 

I just thought I would add my install that was completed over the weekend. 2 G5's and JPI EDM 900 a couple weeks ago.   The left side only needs a new panel to get rid of all the covered holes ( I will do that when I do the GPS ETC )

IMG_2667.jpg

• Like 3

I just thought I would add my install that was completed over the weekend. 2 G5's and JPI EDM 900 a couple weeks ago.   The left side only needs a new panel to get rid of all the covered holes ( I will do that when I do the GPS ETC )

I’m a week behind you. When I redo my panel I’m going to move the G5s up a little for better access to the HSI knob, with engine gauges gone there is plenty of room,on my J is too near to the yoke shaft for my tastes.

• Like 1