G5’s installed - pickup tomorrow

Philip

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Turns out my time was very limited to do much more than get my plane back home from the avionics shop.  It’s just a question minute flight.  So I setup a very short 4 waypoint flight plan on the 430w and was off.

my observations thus far: Brian dump - iPad - no particular order

1 - G5’s are wired to the master.  I don’t know if this is by the book or not.  Makes since that way once I thought about it.  They are primary AI and DG and those devices that were just pulled were on when the radio master was off.  

2 - every common annunciator, setting, etc will cross fill between units.

3 - the screens are very bright and clear.  Backlight settings are easy to get too.  I have not set behind the units in the dark yet.

4 - boot up is very fast.  Shutdown on the ground gives you a delay countdown.  In the air they just stay on.  

5 - When running on the ground on the internal battery, I’m seeing it predict about 5 hours of battery life.

6 - preflight was very simple, altimeter set, heading bug set.

7 - the ASI was measuring the wind speed when I was sitting still.  When I lined up on 17L it showed 22 knots before I started my takeoff roll.  The steam gauge was oblivious.

8 - this is my first time to fly behind a PFD and 8 like it.

9 - my airspeed tape was configured to display knots and that threw me off when I started my approach and landing.  I’m used to 100, 90, 80 mph in the pattern and that being in knots made we wonder if I want the tape in mph.  The gs and tape can be configured independently.

10 - switching between  gpss and hdg mode was easy enough.  More actions then before.   But not hard.  

11 - while enroute I bounced back and forth between hdg and gpss modes and they worked as expected.

12 - I flew and RNAV approach with a procedure turn and the gpss steering worked  as expected.  It was very windy and it had no problem nailing the horizontal nav without much back and forth.

13 - while on the approach, I had my second 430w and gi106b tuned in to compare things.  They were agreeing on horizontal and vertical navigation.  However, I looked and looked for my VNAV indicator while between the iaf and fav and it was not to be found.  My 106b showed the glide slope pegged up top while the g5 showed nothing.  Once I got to the faf, I noticed the vnav scale show up on the PFD.  I’m not sure if it ever was on the HSI.  This is an area that I will study more today when I fly again.  

14 - setting the hsi to a backup PFD is easy as pie.   I don’t believe the PFD will become a hsi in the dual setup.

Thats all for now.  I plan to fly again today with a more deliberate test plan including an ILS approach.

Similar experience here after my first real test flight today.

Intercepting is very smooth. It looks like it takes its time but it is very smooth. Shot bunch of approaches and I am very happy with the performance of the combo G5 GAD Century IIB.

My G5 airspeed differs from my ASI few knots. Not sure how they calibrate that or should I do it in the air and match it to the ASI in the setup?

To your item 9 - The airspeed tape should match what is in your POH. If you have both KTS and MPH in you POH I would match it to your ASI obviously. It's not good to have to different speed units on the panel. It almost sounds illegal. 

G5.JPG

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

If you can do either, I think you'll learn to like knots since (almost) all distances in aviation are in nautical miles.  Makes the math easier if you use knots.

My avionics guy insisted first to put MPH since my POH has only MPH numbers. But my ASI is in KTS so I really resisted the idea. Then somebody in the shop said that the G5 is not a primary ASI and it can be set up either way. So we did KTS. I don't even know MPH numbers for my plane. I do all in KTS. 

8 hours ago, MooneyBob said:

My avionics guy insisted first to put MPH since my POH has only MPH numbers. But my ASI is in KTS so I really resisted the idea. Then somebody in the shop said that the G5 is not a primary ASI and it can be set up either way. So we did KTS. I don't even know MPH numbers for my plane. I do all in KTS. 

8 hours ago, MooneyBob said:

Can you tell us where was the GMU 11 installed ? And where the GAD29B installed ? ( I suppose the GAD is in the avionics rack in the cone and the GMU in a wing) Pictures would awesome but don't open panels just for that ) 

On 11/19/2017 at 7:26 AM, Philip said:

13 - while on the approach, I had my second 430w and gi106b tuned in to compare things.  They were agreeing on horizontal and vertical navigation.  However, I looked and looked for my VNAV indicator while between the iaf and faf and it was not to be found.  My 106b showed the glide slope pegged up top while the g5 showed nothing.  Once I got to the faf, I noticed the vnav scale show up on the PFD.  I’m not sure if it ever was on the HSI.  This is an area that I will study more today when I fly again. 

On my flight yesterday I shot and ILS and and RNAV and the glide slope was slower to capture than on the second radio but it was there in plenty of time and visible on both G5's. 

One thing that is definitely missing is a minimum setting.  It has an altitude bug that can be set but it's in 100ft increments.  That's not granular enough for setting an approach minimum.  I'm sure they can add this in a future software release.  I hope they will.

Thus far, I'm impressed and very pleased with my purchase.

13 hours ago, OR75 said:

Can you tell us where was the GMU 11 installed ? And where the GAD29B installed ? ( I suppose the GAD is in the avionics rack in the cone and the GMU in a wing) Pictures would awesome but don't open panels just for that ) 

Both are in the avionics bay.  GMU 11 is high mounted back between the static ports.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OR75 said:

thanks. certainly makes the install a lot easier.

I do have a couple of servos in the cone (trim and altitude hold) and wonder if that could cause magnetic disturbance

Thanks again

I have 1 s-tec alt-hold servo back there also.   In my case, it was not an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I have 1 s-tec alt-hold servo back there also.   In my case, it was not an issue.

thanks. I have a 60-pss alt hold as well

this will make the install a lot easier as the G5-GMU11-GAD29B needs to be "daisy chained"

15 hours ago, bradp said:

Phillip can you post a pic of the mounting tray for the GMU11 - I’m going to need to fashion one and it would be good to see yours as an example.  Thanks. 

Yes.  Should be able to get a picture in the next few days.

13 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Looks like your ram clamp is very close to the G5 knob. Might want to check it at full deflection to make sure the knob does not cause interference. I had to use a lot smaller clamp to provide clearance for my Aspen. 

What’s the G speed 87 kts?

Did I miss something...? Is the G5 now capable of driving the autopilot as an Attitude Indicator?  For some reason, I thought the G5 could be installed as an HSI but not as a sole AI (thus requiring the vacuum system and the KI256 to remain in the plane)?  Did something change?  I have the KFC150 A/P with the altitude preselect/hold...

45 minutes ago, carqwik said:

Did I miss something...? Is the G5 now capable of driving the autopilot as an Attitude Indicator?  For some reason, I thought the G5 could be installed as an HSI but not as a sole AI (thus requiring the vacuum system and the KI256 to remain in the plane)?  Did something change?  I have the KFC150 A/P with the altitude preselect/hold...

G5 can’t drive the AP that requires input from AI. That’s why I had to keep my vacuum system and vacuum driven AI.  I have Century IIB AP. 

One thing that I gained and it is big deal for me is the GPSS steering. Before I had to turn the HSI needle every time my GTN told me to do so. Now it’s hands off. I tried different approaches, holding patterns, procedure turns and it just works perfect. It figures out on its own the entry to the holding pattern and makes all,the turns very smoothly. 

D5572660-1F82-47A4-A75C-C58AA2468C98.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carqwik said:

I have the same question - and I have a KFC200.

Was there some announcement that this can drive my autopilot system now?

11 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I have the same question - and I have a KFC200.

Was there some announcement that this can drive my autopilot system now?

The G5 with GAD29b can output heading information to your AP. However, you still need attitude information from the current AI for the AP to function. Per the STC if you have a FD it cannot be moved but many shops are not reading the fine print so I’m sure you will find someone willing to do it. 

• Like 1

One thing that is still unclear to me is how the GPSS mode drives the autopilot.  Does it modify the heading bug signal or the nav signal?   I forgot to ask my avionics guy..  maybe someone  here knows.   If the gpss utilizes the accuflite, then I may as well remove my accutrak and sell it.   I have no use for tracking a VOR.  

16 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

One thing that is still unclear to me is how the GPSS mode drives the autopilot.  Does it modify the heading bug signal or the nav signal?   I forgot to ask my avionics guy..  maybe someone  here knows.   If the gpss utilizes the accuflite, then I may as well remove my accutrak and sell it.   I have no use for tracking a VOR.  

It modifies the heading error signal from the DG. You put the radio coupler in heading mode so it doesn't use the nav error.